SETs and Horns

SET in probably it's purest form, one single Tube....the sound of the 2.5W is incredible, detailed, seemingly limitless dynamics, incredibly well controlled deep low end, by far the best amp I ever heard.

IMG-20220913-WA0002.jpg

SET in probably it's purest form, one single Tube....the sound of the 2.5W is incredible, detailed, seemingly limitless dynamics, incredibly well controlled deep low end, by far the best amp I ever heard.

View attachment 97865
Hi Marcel,

Please can you update us on your system. I see all sorts of exciting madness occurring. Best wishes.

Hi Marcel,

Please can you update us on your system. I see all sorts of exciting madness occurring. Best wishes.
My, my, madness? ;-)

This is a G2 mode EL519 my best friend is building for me, El519 in G2 triode is the original idea of Cees B where I heard this circuit for the first time a few years ago and after hearing some other mesh tubes it 'stuck'. Here it is used in a one tube design using an input transformer, a mercury rectifier and an enormous choke. The low part count makes selection of components and placement quite critica so we feast our ears using rare and mostly handmade components.

My, my, madness? ;-)

This is a G2 mode EL519 my best friend is building for me, El519 in G2 triode is the original idea of Cees B where I heard this circuit for the first time a few years ago and after hearing some other mesh tubes it 'stuck'. Here it is used in a one tube design using an input transformer, a mercury rectifier and an enormous choke. The low part count makes selection of components and placement quite critica so we feast our ears using rare and mostly handmade components.
No output transformer?

Voyager - Tron Electric (tron-electric.co.uk)

This amp is also one tube per channel with amorphous core Lundahl output transformers...would love to try this out. It even makes a highly usable 5 watts from the 20B high gain DHT.

My, my, madness? ;-)

Sounds very interesting. And what speakers are you currently using?

Sounds very interesting. And what speakers are you currently using?
My "Trionor' , which is an adaptation of the good old Bionor. Now using three 13"Tesla Full Range drivers. The speaker in the picture is a Klangfilm open baffle with two KL405's at my friends place.

My "Trionor' , which is an adaptation of the good old Bionor. Now using three 13"Tesla Full Range drivers. The speaker in the picture is a Klangfilm open baffle with two KL405's at my friends place.
Any pics of your Trionor in situ? Sounds cool.

Loving the project that your friend and yourself are working on Marcel, it sounds to be a lot fun that you guys are having , have you ever mentioned perhaps a cleaner coming in once a week to your friend :)

this is from a while ago, meanwhile I did upgrade the DAC, and tweeter and have fully coated the paper. Currently planning to do a head to head comparison of two horn curves since we found out the original drawing is incorrect, and the original Bionor flare is off from the calculations. (posted before in the female vocals thread), this video was posted earlier in the female voices thread;

this is from a while ago, meanwhile I did upgrade the DAC, and tweeter and have fully coated the paper. Currently planning to do a head to head comparison of two horn curves since we found out the original drawing is incorrect, and the original Bionor flare is off from the calculations. (posted before in the female vocals thread), this video was posted earlier in the female voices thread;

Would be interesting to hear an audio vid sporting your more recent enhancements of the two curves respectively .

Loving the project that your friend and yourself are working on Marcel, it sounds to be a lot fun that you guys are having , have you ever mentioned perhaps a cleaner coming in once a week to your friend :)
It is a well established fact that cleaning lady's, and wife's break cartridges ! It is safer to keep the place messy!;)

My cleaning lady has been told not to enter the listening room. My wife enjoys the room but does not go near the turntable.
My first wife destroyed a Ortofon MC 3000 during dusting, my second wife was told not to clean inside the totally separate equipment room ( i drilled holes in the wall for signal cables). She responded by doing it anyway, lifting up the Nakamichi TT to dust UNDERNEATH it, destroying a Benz cartridge. The lifting of the turntable is probably not possible in the case of the AS 2000 Peter, well maybe only by Keds girlfriend. :eek:

My first wife destroyed a Ortofon MC 3000 during dusting, my second wife was told not to clean inside the totally separate equipment room ( i drilled holes in the wall for signal cables). She responded doing it anyway, by lifting up the Nakamichi TT to dust UNDERNEATH it, destroying a Benz cartridge. The lifting of the turntable is probably not possible in the case of the AS 2000 Peter, well maybe only by Keds girlfriend. :eek:

this is why husbands should do the cleaning, let wives do the listening

Like tornados to trailer parks, cleaning personnel are inexorably attracted to audio rooms in spite of all bans to the contrary. They just insist on it, maybe out of curiosity. I haven't had one bag a needle yet. but they have knocked over some stuff after I told them to stay out of that room.

• Sad
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing