Shame on Acoustic Sounds poor customer service

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Recently, a friend of mine put in an order for one of the Hobson Classic records from his personal collection. My friend is a record collector and has been doing business with Acoustic Sounds since they opened their doors in 1984. He still has flyers from them dating back to their beginnings. So they took his order and when he received his order the record was missing and on receipt said "out of stock". So he called them trying to find out what happened as it was Acoustic Sounds error as they did take the order for the record. So after about 20 minutes on the phone, he basically was told you are out of luck. He spends thousands of dollars each year with them for years and not even once woud they let him talk to Chad Kassem. I guess he is too busy these days to handle these things with long time customers. I am sure if he sees this they will know exactly who I am talking about. My firend told me in the past if there was a problem Chad himself would call to explain what happened. Not anymore I guess. Maybe Acoustic Sounds is getting to big even for their long time customers. Sad...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I got a warped record from them. A bad jump. They computer generated a couple response. They would never take the record back. Even after I sent photos of the useless vinyl. I take it they can ship garbage now and screw you customer, like what you get.

AORG 006-4511 Diana Krall/ All For You #d. Ltd. 180g 2LP 45RPM

This is garbage. Don't buy it. Its poor quality. And Acoustic Sounds wont take returns on it.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
Something is changing at Acousic Sounds. They are getting big and busy. Processing time is now 1-2 weeks until shipping (if you ask they blame the parcel service) compared to 1-2 days before.

Saw the blues video of Chad (heard blues is his personal favorite) and decided to order a bunch of records. 3 LPs had massive click problems and 1 LP is spoiled on surface. Re-shipping makes international no sense because of costs so refund would be only 20%. Thats poor. So I have to take another order and they will send the items another time.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
I’ve been buying from AC for many years too and, until recently, had always experienced really good customer service. A recent return request on a couple disks that were noisy seemed to get lost in the cracks. When I called and tried to get things sorted out, the fellow I was working with sounded like he’d just come back from his lunch-time hookah break - maybe it was around KS time 4:25 when I called?

Things eventually got sorted out but there were a lot of “ like wow dude..... like, dude man.... like, what did you say your name was again?” moments to work through.....

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I got a slightly damaged LP recently from a mail order company where the cover was bent because the packaging got bent. A new replacement was shipped to me within a week, no questions asked.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I too have had it with Acoustic Sounds. I too have spent thousands on records from them, more because I pay to have them shipped to England, then have to pay import duty and VAT on them when they arrive. Last Summer, after spending >$1000 already that year, I ordered some records. They arrived in late September. One record, a 45RPM ltd ed, had a titch-titch sound with every rotation through the main song "Misty". It did not go with cleaning in the Degritter. I contacted Acoustic Sounds and asked what to do. They said mail it back to them, so I did. After about a month I wrote to them asking if they received it. They had, said they didn't realise I mailed it from England, so would reimburse me for my postage, but would not send a replacement until I purchased another $190.00 worth of gear to make it worth "their" time and effort. I said I already spent thousands with them, but they didn't care. In the end I said reimburse me my cost for the record then. That was in November last year. After 5 further emails, I was finally reimbursed two weeks ago (early April, 5 months later). I will no longer deal with Acoustic Sounds directly.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
My friend said that Chad himself would contact him if there was any problems with his order. That is obviously no longer the case. They should not take your order and then not fulfill it without explanation of any kind. Its just wrong. Thats how you lose 30 year plus customers. He actually still has the ads from the mid eighties from acoustic sounds when they first started. A sad state of affairs to say the least.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I haven't dealt with them in a long time. After reading this thread I probably won't ever again!

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Wow, really surprised to hear all this. I just purchased $6K worth of tapes and records from Acoustic Sounds and had great service.

• Wow
Reactions: howiebrou

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
They have been good to me. Chad called me when MoFi could not fill the first order of one step Abraxis lp’s. Nice apology and then a call back when they got a few copies to see if I was still interested.

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Well, thats the way they used to be. I guess not so much anymore but if you had a positive experience I will tell my friend that maybe his was a rare occurence.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Would love to see this shopping list!
Donald Johanos/ Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances & Vocalise 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/ Moussorgsky: The Power Of The Orchestra 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Rimsky-Korsakoff: Scheherazade 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Respighi: Pines Of Rome & Fountains Of Rome 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Leopold Stokowski/ Rhapsodies 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije/ Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Walter Hendl/ Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D Minor/ Jascha Heifetz, violin 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto/ Heifetz, violin 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Charles Munch/ A Stereo Spectacular: Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra/ Ravel: Daphnis And Chloe 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape

RCA/DECCA Various Artists/ RCA/Decca Numbered Subscription Set Vinyl Box Sets
1. Fritz Reiner - Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel/Death And Transfiguration
2. Alexander Gibson - Witches' Brew
3. Anatole Fistoulari - Walton: Facade/ Lecocq: Mamzelle Angot
4. Jean Martinon - Borodin: Symphony No. 2/Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnole
5. Georg Solti - Venice (Royal Opera House Orchestra)
6. Jean Morel - Bizet: L'Arlesienne Suites 1 And 2
7. Charles Mackerras/ LSO - Grieg & Sibelius: Finlandia
8. Anatole Fistoulari - Ballet Music From The Opera
9. Alexander Gibson - Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 And Karelia Suite
10. Alexander Gibson - Gounod: Faust - Ballet Music / Bizet: Carmen - Suite
11. Ernest Ansermet - The Royal Ballet Gala Performances
12. Jean Morel - Albeniz: Iberia (complete)/ Ravel: Rapsodie Espagnole

I haven't had a chance to listen to all the tapes and LP's but everything I've played so far is outstanding. Perfect condition, amazing quality control.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Donald Johanos/ Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances & Vocalise 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Leibowitz, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/ Moussorgsky: The Power Of The Orchestra 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Rimsky-Korsakoff: Scheherazade 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Respighi: Pines Of Rome & Fountains Of Rome 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Leopold Stokowski/ Rhapsodies 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Prokofiev: Lieutenant Kije/ Stravinsky: Song of the Nightingale 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Walter Hendl/ Sibelius: Violin Concerto in D Minor/ Jascha Heifetz, violin 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto/ Heifetz, violin 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Charles Munch/ A Stereo Spectacular: Saint-Saens Symphony No.3 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Fritz Reiner/ Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape
Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra/ Ravel: Daphnis And Chloe 1/4 Inch - 15 IPS Tape

RCA/DECCA Various Artists/ RCA/Decca Numbered Subscription Set Vinyl Box Sets
1. Fritz Reiner - Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel/Death And Transfiguration
2. Alexander Gibson - Witches' Brew
3. Anatole Fistoulari - Walton: Facade/ Lecocq: Mamzelle Angot
4. Jean Martinon - Borodin: Symphony No. 2/Rimsky-Korsakov: Capriccio Espagnole
5. Georg Solti - Venice (Royal Opera House Orchestra)
6. Jean Morel - Bizet: L'Arlesienne Suites 1 And 2
7. Charles Mackerras/ LSO - Grieg & Sibelius: Finlandia
8. Anatole Fistoulari - Ballet Music From The Opera
9. Alexander Gibson - Sibelius: Symphony No. 5 And Karelia Suite
10. Alexander Gibson - Gounod: Faust - Ballet Music / Bizet: Carmen - Suite
11. Ernest Ansermet - The Royal Ballet Gala Performances
12. Jean Morel - Albeniz: Iberia (complete)/ Ravel: Rapsodie Espagnole

I haven't had a chance to listen to all the tapes and LP's but everything I've played so far is outstanding. Perfect condition, amazing quality control.
Outstanding.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Last year I bought a record that was supposed to be sealed but having had a poor experience with Kassen in the mid seventies, while he was buying and selling used audio equipment through Audiomart, I did not bother to complain, I threw it in the recycle can. Never again.

Cheers,

Reactions: Pacha

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Recently, a friend of mine put in an order for one of the Hobson Classic records from his personal collection. My friend is a record collector and has been doing business with Acoustic Sounds since they opened their doors in 1984. He still has flyers from them dating back to their beginnings. So they took his order and when he received his order the record was missing and on receipt said "out of stock". So he called them trying to find out what happened as it was Acoustic Sounds error as they did take the order for the record. So after about 20 minutes on the phone, he basically was told you are out of luck. He spends thousands of dollars each year with them for years and not even once woud they let him talk to Chad Kassem. I guess he is too busy these days to handle these things with long time customers. I am sure if he sees this they will know exactly who I am talking about. My firend told me in the past if there was a problem Chad himself would call to explain what happened. Not anymore I guess. Maybe Acoustic Sounds is getting to big even for their long time customers. Sad...

Is your friend upset that the record he ordered could not be found, or that Chad didn't call him personally to say the record he ordered could not be found?

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
He is upset he did not talk directly to Chad. I guess he is still ordering records from him so I guess he is not that upset anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing