Sharing a few system videos from last night‘s listening session

Carlos are rheee OMA conical horns or something else?

Al all four horns and subwoofer open baffle on each side are custom made and most definitely not OMA. I don’t care for Jonathan Weiss and will never buy anything from him or associated with him.

Hahaha me either great looking though.
on ear buds I loved them all. Great choices too.
Is this analog or digital ?

Hahaha me either great looking though.
on ear buds I loved them all. Great choices too.
Is this analog or digital ?

Digital, DSD512X48 streaming from HQPLAYER.

Reactions: Alrainbow
I know videos don’t nearly show what’s there in person , I do think large scale systems show less of a reality.
the cure song was really good to me you just have spent a long time getting the cross over points to exhibit the track level mixing

Reactions: Carlos269
I know videos don’t nearly show what’s there in person , I do think large scale systems show less of a reality.
the cure song was really good to me you just have spent a long time getting the cross over points to exhibit the track level mixing

This one was taken in Korea last year.

You can feel the scale of the sound from his vintage WE horn system.

Although video can not duplicate exact sound, it is still nice tool to give rough idea.

Please ignore the ticking noise from turntable.

Are you direct coupled to each driver with DSP acting as the crossover?

Are you direct coupled to each driver with DSP acting as the crossover?

The OKTAN6 is a six-way system. The mid-bass horns and open-baffle subwoofers are direct coupled with digital crossovers built into each of the corresponding four monoblocks powering the drivers. The crossovers for the midrange and high-frequency are analog, Finemet core transformers based crossovers, and the super-tweeters are crossover with a single capacitor, for a 6dB slope in-phase integration.

It’s a complex crossover system that provides the adjustability for me to fine tune the frequency response contour to my desired target curve. I took my learnings from developing my System-Remastering process and developed & implemented a different system to achieve similar results by adjusting the crossovers.

Last edited:
Actually sounds very uncomplex. If you look at it from material between the amp and driver. I like the idea of adjusting the signal to woofers and subs. A very high level of adjustability.
How does a transformer work as a crossover for mids?

This one was taken in Korea last year.

You can feel the scale of the sound from his vintage WE horn system.

Although video can not duplicate exact sound, it is still nice tool to give rough idea.

Please ignore the ticking noise from turntable.

Mehta

Below are Klemperer

Actually sounds very uncomplex. If you look at it from material between the amp and driver. I like the idea of adjusting the signal to woofers and subs. A very high level of adjustability.
How does a transformer work as a crossover for mids?

I think that if you saw how the 10 different crossovers are tied to different amplification you might not think that is so uncomplex.

When you are dealing with very low power amplification like my 4-watt pair of Eternal Arts “Arpa” AD1 SE monoblock amplifiers by Dr. Burkhardt Schwäbe driving the midrange field-coil compression driver and the high frequency section of the coaxial compression driver, you want as little of that power dissipated in the discrete analog crossovers. See the resistors used in traditional crossovers dissipate part of the signal/power through heat. Transformers and auto-formers are a lot less lossy. Furthermore autoformers are inductors and when you use tapped autoformers you can use stepped switches to adjust not only the gain for each driver individually but also the crossover frequencies. There is a lot more going on in my OKTAN6 system than meets the eye.

Last edited:
I think that if you saw how the 10 different crossovers are tied to different amplification you might not think that is so uncomplex.

When you are dealing with very low power amplification like my 4-watt pair of Eternal Arts “Arpa” AD1 SE monoblock amplifiers by Dr. Burkhardt Schwäbe driving the midrange field-coil compression driver and the high frequency section of the coaxial compression driver, you want as little of that power dissipated in the discrete analog crossovers. See the resistors used in traditional crossovers dissipate part of the signal/power through heat. Transformers and auto-formers are a lot less lossy. Furthermore autoformers are inductors and when you use tapped autoformers you can use stepped switches to adjust not only the gain for each driver individually but also the crossover frequencies. There is a lot more going on in my OKTAN6 system than meets the eye.
I get crossovers eat power. I don't know anything about their design. I never heard of using and auto former or transformer to adjust the frequency. Thats why I asked.

I have considered a Mini DSP SHD to run subs and maybe woofers for me. There also a lot of chatter about the BACCH and the new ORC software that very effectivly sets up subs in 1 pass using microphones that are in your ears. That is all signal adjustment and has little affect on power from your amp.

Mids and highs I am hesitant to use active digital DSP on my vinyl. But that means loosing power in the crossover through caps, chokes and resistors. Although an analog crossover are very hard to address phase and timing issues. DSP can easily correct it.

I get crossovers eat power. I don't know anything about their design. I never heard of using and auto former or transformer to adjust the frequency. Thats why I asked.

I have considered a Mini DSP SHD to run subs and maybe woofers for me. There also a lot of chatter about the BACCH and the new ORC software that very effectivly sets up subs in 1 pass using microphones that are in your ears. That is all signal adjustment and has little affect on power from your amp.

Mids and highs I am hesitant to use active digital DSP on my vinyl. But that means loosing power in the crossover through caps, chokes and resistors. Although an analog crossover are very hard to address phase and timing issues. DSP can easily correct it.
I know of several systems where the crossovers have been designed entirely with transformers
also Western Electric built in bandwidth limitations in their amplifier OPTs to avoid crossovers in total. eg. for WE16s
phase and timing issues can be adressed pretty good mechanically

I know of several systems where the crossovers have been designed entirely with transformers
also Western Electric built in bandwidth limitations in their amplifier OPTs to avoid crossovers in total. eg. for WE16s
phase and timing issues can be adressed pretty good mechanically
I guess I see that. My Audion had no bass or high freq.with the original output transformers. I replaced them and have way better bass. The highs are still limited.

I only question why designers would not use them more if they were superior.

because their usefulness would be limited with other speakers they were not designed for
also obviously easier and cheaper to design OPT with limited bass extension

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing