Shunyata Research Ad Showing Square Waves With Etron Cables

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
You may not buy it, but how many other cables company adverts can you remember off the top of your head right now?

It was excellent marketing and to deny this is fairly ridiculous. This is not a statement about the honesty of their test approach and products, which may be suspect.

Good clarification.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You may not buy it, but how many other cables company adverts can you remember off the top of your head right now?

It was excellent marketing and to deny this is fairly ridiculous. This is not a statement about the honesty of their test approach and products, which may be suspect.

It's only excellent marketing if your intended audience is as sharp as a bowling ball with respect to knowledge of electronics.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
It's only excellent marketing if your intended audience is as sharp as a bowling ball with respect to knowledge of electronics.

That's right - the intended audience is not for an informed audiophile with EE knowledge, but for a general magazine reader.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
More "body"...

I listened some more, and the Zitrons are indeed a bit more "open" at the top. However, still find the Transparents to be more musical (mostly more "body") sounding, so the Zitrons will go on audiogon....

It would seem that the latest version of the ZiTrons, while they have "bass" definition, have distinctly less bass weight than other generations of Shunyata cable. For example the original Python power cord has considerably more bass weight than the ZiTron Cobra power cord, although the Cobra excels in definition. However, weight = solidity of image, a reason that the original WATTS had such image density (earlier WATTS had more mid bass than treble, especially generations 1 and 2, and 3, all of which I had back in 1987 thru 1993). And Dave used Transparent to fill in the early WATTs' lack of bass, just as he used the Rowland Coherence 1, which had more lower midrange-to-low-bass power than the other legendary preamp of the time, the Audio Research SP-11. The Coherence filled out the WATTs' lower midrange paucity (and so did the Transparent cable of the time.)
Transparent cable has a much "richer" mid bass thru lower midrange than Shunyata. I notice that brass instruments on the Cobra do not have the same "body" that they did in previous generations. The "goldenness" of brass (the way it sounds live, thanks, not on recordings, although some recordings have beautiful a brass sound) is less apparent. Midbass is where the "authority" comes from in sound, and I immediately noticed the Cobra lacked in the body previous generations of Shunyata had in spades. I believe this is also mentioned in the Audio Beat review by Mickelson, where he specifically mentions the Cobra's bass as more "sinewy" than muscular (my bolding, not his). Transparent has always been a bit closed in at the top, especially the original Ultra line, back circa 1994, which was one very dark cable. I remember Tom Miiller of TAS telling me that it was going to sound that way, and when I got it, it did.
When a cable is weighted at the bottom, but does not have equal extension at the top, the cable will sound "dark." If the treble is extended - and airy - it will NOT sound dark, but it must have both those virtues in equal measure. The Shunyata is extended in the treble, and airy enough, but has a lightweight sound in the mid bass. Still quite good, but tonally more ice milk than ice cream.

Mordecai

Jul 18, 2014
I think it's good marketing. I don't know how a pure square wave should look so to me the ad makes perfect sense. Big picture: should be square-ish, many are rounded, Shunyata are closer to how it should be. Simple. The reason I believe it's good marketing is that at least they make an effort to validate their claims. It sure beats the cliche advertisements that make claims like 'if they don't improve your system, sell your system' etc.... Ie at least they make an effort to show the lay man that their cables are generally technically better.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It would seem that the latest version of the ZiTrons, while they have "bass" definition, have distinctly less bass weight than other generations of Shunyata cable. For example the original Python power cord has considerably more bass weight than the ZiTron Cobra power cord, although the Cobra excels in definition. However, weight = solidity of image, a reason that the original WATTS had such image density (earlier WATTS had more mid bass than treble, especially generations 1 and 2, and 3, all of which I had back in 1987 thru 1993). And Dave used Transparent to fill in the early WATTs' lack of bass, just as he used the Rowland Coherence 1, which had more lower midrange-to-low-bass power than the other legendary preamp of the time, the Audio Research SP-11. The Coherence filled out the WATTs' lower midrange paucity (and so did the Transparent cable of the time.)
Transparent cable has a much "richer" mid bass thru lower midrange than Shunyata. I notice that brass instruments on the Cobra do not have the same "body" that they did in previous generations. The "goldenness" of brass (the way it sounds live, thanks, not on recordings, although some recordings have beautiful a brass sound) is less apparent. Midbass is where the "authority" comes from in sound, and I immediately noticed the Cobra lacked in the body previous generations of Shunyata had in spades. I believe this is also mentioned in the Audio Beat review by Mickelson, where he specifically mentions the Cobra's bass as more "sinewy" than muscular (my bolding, not his). Transparent has always been a bit closed in at the top, especially the original Ultra line, back circa 1994, which was one very dark cable. I remember Tom Miiller of TAS telling me that it was going to sound that way, and when I got it, it did.
When a cable is weighted at the bottom, but does not have equal extension at the top, the cable will sound "dark." If the treble is extended - and airy - it will NOT sound dark, but it must have both those virtues in equal measure. The Shunyata is extended in the treble, and airy enough, but has a lightweight sound in the mid bass. Still quite good, but tonally more ice milk than ice cream.

I'm pretty sure you will be eating those words after you hear the new Shunyata Sigma line :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing