Shunyata Theta/Gamma Lines - Do they surpass the Delta/Venom of the previous generation?

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I just saw these on Shunyata's site. Has anyone heard these - or about them? Their pricing is close to the older lines (Alpha, Alpha Helix and ZiTron), which all started at $995, as does the Theta power cord (at least going by some retailers' stated price).
Will these replace (as in: be more advanced, sonically speaking) the Delta and Venom lines currently out? I've talked to my salesperson at The Cable Company and I'm going to use their Lending Library to hear them, but wondered if anyone else had heard them and formed any impressions.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Some information on the new Gamma and Theta lines, I believe these new lines were only launched just last week, so only just beginning to stir new interest, I am hoping to buy soon a Theta XC powercord for my Shunyata Gemini as it looks like an excellent proposition for the price point....will be good to read some real world feedback as and when this filters through from real world experiences, but so far I have had excellent results with Shunyata research on other products I have purchased....

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: KrellFan1

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Some information on the new Gamma and Theta lines, I believe these new lines were only launched just last week, so only just beginning to stir new interest, I am hoping to buy soon a Theta XC powercord for my Shunyata Gemini as it looks like an excellent proposition for the price point....will be good to read some real world feedback as and when this filters through from real world experiences, but so far I have had excellent results with Shunyata research on other products I have purchased....
Indeed. My experience with Shunyata has always been positive as well. I'm certain, though, that the new line will generate sales of the older Delta and Venom products by current owners.

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
@GrantS can you shed light on these new products? It's not evident on a quick perusal if these use new technology compared to the existing V2 Alpha/Sigma/Omega that we are familiar with, and they seem to replace the Venom & Delta lines but not sure what's actually new about them?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
but not sure what's actually new about them?
I thought I read that this will be the first time they applied their PMZ (Precision Matched Impedance) technology to signal cables. What that means is manufacturing to tighter tolerances. That previously meant slowing down the winding process. That would add to the cost so I suspect that they’ve come up with a way to achieve that without slowing things down so they can offer this technology more broadly and at affordable price points. This is pure speculation on my part though.

Reactions: Re-tread

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I just saw these on Shunyata's site. Has anyone heard these - or about them? Their pricing is close to the older lines (Alpha, Alpha Helix and ZiTron), which all started at $995, as does the Theta power cord (at least going by some retailers' stated price).
Will these replace (as in: be more advanced, sonically speaking) the Delta and Venom lines currently out? I've talked to my salesperson at The Cable Company and I'm going to use their Lending Library to hear them, but wondered if anyone else had heard them and formed any impressions.
Yes; I spoke with a dealer who had Shunyata factory people in his showroom and auditioned and said they are a giant killer. I am referring specifically to the Theta Ethernet cable priced at $500 MSRP. So more than a little interested .

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
@GrantS can you shed light on these new products? It's not evident on a quick perusal if these use new technology compared to the existing V2 Alpha/Sigma/Omega that we are familiar with, and they seem to replace the Venom & Delta lines but not sure what's actually new about them?
Hi Keith, Apologies for the delay, I've been traveling in LA this week. Yes, the Gamma and Theta will replace Venom and Delta cables, though a couple of the Venom power cords, like the HCv2 will remain as they offer an affordable high-current option. I believe the Venom 14 Digital will also remain as a less expensive option for digital. The two big tech advantage being offered in both Theta and Gamma is the PMZ process and the KPIPv2. We were able to scale the PMZ and tool up the process to make it more affordable to run. The quarter-speed extrusion remains exactly as it is for the digital cables, which has earned them exposure at the top of the pro-recording industry and with manufacturers of the best digital hardware systems. I knew this would confer an advantage in performance to the analog cables but was surprised at the degree of improvement. Caelin also revised the Kinetic Phase Inversion Processin a very significant way. When I receive cables for prototyping, even with the KPIP run on them for 4 days, they require a couple days of use to stabilize and offer great performance after being shipped. This was different. Almost immediately, my wife and I were taken aback by how they performed. Of course, all this is preliminary. Regardless of what we think, the truth of any product's value becomes known only after 6 months to a year in the market.

After 25 years spent listening to all of Caelin's "ideas" in the raw, it's become clear when something stands out and that's been my impression of these cables. They have the coherence and purity one would expect from cables that use OCC single crystal copper, of course. Where they separate themselves is in the areas where pure silver cables usually dominate -- timing, micro-dynamics, low-octave control, frequency extension, decay and impact. As listeners, we were struck by their agility, background silence and timing precision. For frame of reference, I was using our OCC silver Omega interconnects, as well as the Delta and Venom cables as comparators, so the bar was set fairly high. The Gamma and Theta cables still retain the textural and tonal qualities that defines the OCC conductor material, but listeners may be taken by surprise at their dynamic range and timing precision. That's the difference the combination of the KPIPv2 and PMZ (1/4 speed extrusion) process confers on these cables. Pricing was set to maximize exposure, so we'd encourage people to compare them to cables well above their price points. My comments are in direct reference to the analog interconnects of both Gamma and Theta, but the digital cables of both lines have also benefitted from a similar boost in performance. The power cables also benefit from the KPIPv2.

If you have any specific or questions, feel freee to e-mail us directly!

Best regards,

Grant

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Yes; I spoke with a dealer who had Shunyata factory people in his showroom and auditioned and said they are a giant killer. I am referring specifically to the Theta Ethernet cable priced at $500 MSRP. So more than a little interested .
I'm already there.
Short of a disappointing audition period with the Theta power cable, the greater likelihood is that I'll be purchasing it.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I'm already there.
Short of a disappointing audition period with the Theta power cable, the greater likelihood is that I'll be purchasing it.
I am 100% committed to Cerious Lumniscate power cords and interconnects, but he doesn't make USB or network cables. But based on a dealer whose judgement I respect who DID hear the ethernet cable , AND in speaking with Shunyata factory rep, I am satisfied it wil likely be a giant killer. I placed my order late last week and shipping is 2-3 weeks out I am told. I'll be sure to post a review once the cable is broken in!

Reactions: keithc

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Hi Keith, Apologies for the delay, I've been traveling in LA this week. Yes, the Gamma and Theta will replace Venom and Delta cables, though a couple of the Venom power cords, like the HCv2 will remain as they offer an affordable high-current option. I believe the Venom 14 Digital will also remain as a less expensive option for digital. The two big tech advantage being offered in both Theta and Gamma is the PMZ process and the KPIPv2. We were able to scale the PMZ and tool up the process to make it more affordable to run. The quarter-speed extrusion remains exactly as it is for the digital cables, which has earned them exposure at the top of the pro-recording industry and with manufacturers of the best digital hardware systems. I knew this would confer an advantage in performance to the analog cables but was surprised at the degree of improvement. Caelin also revised the Kinetic Phase Inversion Processin a very significant way. When I receive cables for prototyping, even with the KPIP run on them for 4 days, they require a couple days of use to stabilize and offer great performance after being shipped. This was different. Almost immediately, my wife and I were taken aback by how they performed. Of course, all this is preliminary. Regardless of what we think, the truth of any product's value becomes known only after 6 months to a year in the market.

After 25 years spent listening to all of Caelin's "ideas" in the raw, it's become clear when something stands out and that's been my impression of these cables. They have the coherence and purity one would expect from cables that use OCC single crystal copper, of course. Where they separate themselves is in the areas where pure silver cables usually dominate -- timing, micro-dynamics, low-octave control, frequency extension, decay and impact. As listeners, we were struck by their agility, background silence and timing precision. For frame of reference, I was using our OCC silver Omega interconnects, as well as the Delta and Venom cables as comparators, so the bar was set fairly high. The Gamma and Theta cables still retain the textural and tonal qualities that defines the OCC conductor material, but listeners may be taken by surprise at their dynamic range and timing precision. That's the difference the combination of the KPIPv2 and PMZ (1/4 speed extrusion) process confers on these cables. Pricing was set to maximize exposure, so we'd encourage people to compare them to cables well above their price points. My comments are in direct reference to the analog interconnects of both Gamma and Theta, but the digital cables of both lines have also benefitted from a similar boost in performance. The power cables also benefit from the KPIPv2.

Best regards,

Grant
Hi Grant.

Do you also have plan to upgrade Everest 8000?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Thomas

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I am 100% committed to Cerious Lumniscate power cords and interconnects, but he doesn't make USB or network cables. But based on a dealer whose judgement I respect who DID hear the ethernet cable , AND in speaking with Shunyata factory rep, I am satisfied it wil likely be a giant killer. I placed my order late last week and shipping is 2-3 weeks out I am told. I'll be sure to post a review once the cable is broken in!
I, too, placed an order for a Theta NR.

F208Frank

Mar 27, 2020
New York
I have two thetas on the way to me. I currently own x6 delta NRs. The Thetas will be used for subwoofers mainly but will be swapped back and forth with the amps just for fun when time allows.

I tried calling Shunyata to get a direct answer about Delta vs Theta, but the answer was that they are just a different cable.

So far I do enjoy my Delta NRs...

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I, too, placed an order for a Theta NR.
Happy to report I received and installed my Theta Ethernet Cable this morning and right out of the box, the cable delivered some fairly significant sonic improvement to my system. I'm told to allow about 100 hours for it to be fully broken in but right out of the box it sounds terrific - a true value proposition at $500 MSRP. Improved soundstage, not as muddied in the mids as was my Supra cable. For sure the imaging seems to be improved with a modestly improved soundstage. Then again, at close to 10 X the cost it SHOULD sound much better. It will only improve form here...

Last edited:

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Update on my previous post on Theta Ethernet cable. It’s been 8 days since installing and now have a mere 30-40 hours on it… and yet the cable is already beginning to reveal its magic.
- Incredible detail, very resolving, transparent
- Remarkable, vastly improved sound-staging.
- Improved imaging
- Improved, iron grip on the lower end. Best my REL subs have ever sounded.
- Beautiful elevation of vocals, a fine, natural decay of musical notes.

Honestly, I’d not thought an Ethernet cable could make such a meaningful contribution to sound quality, particularly given I’ve got an optical feed traveling through it from my EtherRegen to my Antipodes K-41. It’s a fantastic upside surprise for which I was unprepared. Clean, detailed, BIG soundstage that is worth far more than the $500 cost. Shunyata has hit a home run. And it will improve once I get closer to 100 hours I’m told!

MusicFellow

Jan 3, 2022

Best regards,

Grant
Hi Grant,

I hope that the new cables don‘t turn the while product range upside down. The Omega signal cable line came out just one year prior and doesn’t feature the KPIP v2. Having purchased these cables which are a substantial investment, I‘d not be too happy seeing a new range of cables at vastly less than a fifth the price having technology that isn’t in the flagship models - just one year after releasing the Omegas. If it just reduces settle in time that‘s alright with me…

Just checked on Shunyata‘s website. Regarding KPIPv2 it says: „When compared to the original process, KPIP v2™ represents a dramatic performance upgrade on par with a component-level upgrade.“
To be honest, if that is the case I wonder why the Omegas released last year don‘t feature this. I would be fine, if at least the new KPIPv2 could be applied to existing cables, so one could send them back for an upgrade/treatment. Of course for a reasonable fee. Is that possible?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing