SHUNYTA OMEGA QR POWER cable listening impressions

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
That QR looks fantastic; that is my favorite color scheme and what I picked for the QR-s I just added to the system.

Congratulations and enjoy your new QR!

Reactions: rau

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Fed Ex just delivered my QR can't wait till it's broke in .
Very nice system Rau, I am eager to hear your impressions. What cable did you replace?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Very nice system Rau, I am eager to hear your impressions. What cable did you replace?
I was using a Sigma NR V2 but going direct to wall I wanted to upgrade. Sound signature at this time is not best but part of break in process. I will post in a couple weeks again

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Reactions: SCAudiophile

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
It's a little crowded back there
Yes it matters. Cable spacers and crossing at right angjes.
I setup the risers last night for the QR , I think I'll be very happy with cable . Right now it's sound keeps changing but when it's good its excellent. Better bottom end for sure and sound stage left to right is stronger .

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Great.
I wish pc did not work. Even more so I wish I knew why they do. Scientist need to take their head out of the sand.
With respect to price. A cure for cancer will always cost more than a cure for the common cold. No matter what the R and D budget is. You can base your price on the 'value' of the product t.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'm curious what the contribution is of the sliding filter (is that the correct term). On other cable systems where there is a sliding EMI filter, the filter location is critical to the final sound. Is this the case for the Omega QR as well?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I'm curious what the contribution is of the sliding filter (is that the correct term). On other cable systems where there is a sliding EMI filter, the filter location is critical to the final sound. Is this the case for the Omega QR as well?
There is no sliding portion on the QR or QR-s cables that I am aware of and my QR-s that I purchased earlier this year certainly does not have it.

The only 'adjustable' aspect is where you place the 3 cable lifters that come with every Omega power cable.

Reactions: rau

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Shunyata QR is the best power cable I ever installed on my amplifier direct to wall .

That’s great!

Best in what way? How does it compare sonically to other power cables you have compared with it directly?

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
The Alpha and Sigma USB cables both have silver conductors. I’d love to hear the backstory behind the move to silver.

Thought I'd resuscitate this thread since the Omega speaker and interconnects are now out. I'd like to see any additional comments from Omega power and signal cable owners (I don't care how scientific, or what others they've compared).

I was excited after my Sigma 2s burned in, especially the copper-silver hybrid (VTX-Ag) in the speaker cable. What was interesting to me then, and now, was that Caelin didn't like silver in the interconnects, and that conductor remained VTX. Yet now, the Omega interconnect conductor is silver: OMEGA XLR - Shunyata Research.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thought I'd resuscitate this thread since the Omega speaker and interconnects are now out. I'd like to see any additional comments from Omega power and signal cable owners (I don't care how scientific, or what others they've compared).

I was excited after my Sigma 2s burned in, especially the copper-silver hybrid (VTX-Ag) in the speaker cable. What was interesting to me then, and now, was that Caelin didn't like silver in the interconnects, and that conductor remained VTX. Yet now, the Omega interconnect conductor is silver: OMEGA XLR - Shunyata Research.
I find that very interesting as well and am looking for a way to demo a pair of Omega XLR cables. The word is that it is OCC purest silver and the most expensive conductor they've ever used. This after a couple years of pushing the envelope I am told as far as they could with their other
possible conductor choices...

My only additional feedback on the Omega QR-s power cords is that everything I heard after full break-in has remained true ever since when used on my pre-amp, my LPSU, a 10 Mhz master clock and a 4-ch amp along the way. To me, it is a great power cord model and mine are not going anywhere, i.e. I'm very happy with it and may add at least 1 more.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I would audition the Albedo Silver Cables before making a final decision! I’m a long time Sigma and Omega owner. The Albedo mono crystal are superior cables IMO! We just finished a demo Albedo Metamorphosis Signature. We are purchasing them!

Reactions: pleroma

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I would audition the Albedo Silver Cables before making a final decision! I’m a long time Sigma and Omega owner. The Albedo mono crystal are superior cables IMO! We just finished a demo Albedo Metamorphosis Signature. We are purchasing them!

Gorgeous room Joe! And thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Audire

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I've used the QR-s with great results on transport, DAC, preamp, clock and LPSU so definitely "yes" to your question.

For amps, if straight to wall, yes the Omega QR without a doubt. If you take your amps into any kind of power conditioner
though with its own noise filtering, I'd suggest an Omega XC from amp to conditioner. The caveat being is that it depends
on the conditioner, the level of noise filtering, etc.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I've used the QR-s with great results on transport, DAC, preamp, clock and LPSU so definitely "yes" to your question.

For amps, if straight to wall, yes the Omega QR without a doubt. If you take your amps into any kind of power conditioner
though with its own noise filtering, I'd suggest an Omega XC from amp to conditioner. The caveat being is that it depends
on the conditioner, the level of noise filtering, etc.
Have you or anyone compared to Odin 1 or 2 curious

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I have not directly compared Omega with Odin 1 or 2.

I know of two good friends that owned multiple Odin 1 power cords who demo'ed Shunyata Alpha NR v2 and after several days of listening in both of their cases, decided to buy multiple Alpha v2. There were subsequent purchases as well and upgrades the following year to Sigma v2 (NR or XC as applicable) in both cases. (I did not hear them first hand as we each live in a different state)

To be clear, I am not bashing Nordost or any other cable for that matter; I am only relaying what I was told. Everyone hears and evaluates with their own criteria in their own systems, as we all know.

Reactions: MusicFellow

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I have not directly compared Omega with Odin 1 or 2.

I know of two good friends that owned multiple Odin 1 power cords who demo'ed Shunyata Alpha NR v2 and after several days of listening in both of their cases, decided to buy multiple Alpha v2. There were subsequent purchases as well and upgrades the following year to Sigma v2 (NR or XC as applicable) in both cases. (I did not hear them first hand as we each live in a different state)

To be clear, I am not bashing Nordost or any other cable for that matter; I am only relaying what I was told. Everyone hears and evaluates with their own criteria in their own systems, as we all know.
I understand, thanks

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing