Sigma and Sotm dCBL-CAT7 Ethernet cables

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I participated in the same listening sessions as @alwayslearning but did not get to compare the Sigma and SOtM directly. I really liked what I heard with the SOtM in my system and was pretty well set to buy one. My plans changed once the demo Sigma cables he mentioned landed here. The Sigma USB delivered a mind-blowing improvement over my Alpha USB - and that improvement gained further with the Sigma Ethernet added to the mix.

I would have a hard time saying that one of these cables is “more musical” than the other. The eye of the beholder becomes a factor as we each have our own preferences as how we like our music served up. Both cables struck me as “musical”, though they each provided a different perspective on the experience. I went with the Sigma but would have likely opted for the SOtM had I planned to stick with my Alpha USB.

That's a quite an indictment of the SOtM USB cable. There is no comparison of the Alpha to the Sigma USB in my system. I auditioned both before keeping the Sigma. I read somewhere on the forum where it was said that the Alpha is 90% of the Sigma. That must be the new math. :)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
That's a quite an indictment of the SOtM USB cable. There is no comparison of the Alpha to the Sigma USB in my system. I auditioned both before keeping the Sigma. I read somewhere on the forum where it was said that the Alpha is 90% of the Sigma. That must be the new math. :)

No way is the Alpha USB 90% of the Sigma USB. I had read that too. My expectations were completely blown away. The Sigma USB is a very special cable. I can’t wait to get mine. I placed my order last week but it‘ll be a few weeks before Shunyata can get one out to me.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes, I've been waiting for my new Denali 6000S / V2 for two weeks:rolleyes:

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
I'm currently running the SOtM dCBL-CAT7 Ethernet cable between an Innuos Zenith Mk2 streamer and a COAX-ethernet converter. I was using a SOtM ISO-CAT6 re-clocker in front of the ethernet cable, but I found in my system, there wasn't much of a difference. Apparently the Zenith 2 streamer has a re-clocker built in so the ISO-CAT6 was un-necessary.

I also have the Shunyata Sigma ethernet cable that I'd been A/B/Cing, along with a The Linear Solution ethernet cable. Unfortunately, the SOtM ISO-CAT6 re-clocker would not release the ethernet terminations on the Sigma and The Linear Solution cables, breaking the black plastic release mechanism when i tried to disconnect them for audition (another story). I had to send the cables back to the manufacturers for repair, leaving me only with the SOtM dDBL-CAT7 ethernet cable until the others are returned. After the fact, I read that Jay Leuong had the same issue with the ISO-CAT6 in his ethernet cable reviews.

In the short time I had the Sigma in the line, I found female voices (Allison Krause, Sade ) had just that little bit of sparkle and body that was "very slightly" more recessed with the dCBL-CAT7 cable. Unfortunately The Linear Solution Cable broke in the ISO-CAT6 quickly after using it for a short period so I can't offer much of a comparison with the SOtM and Sigma cables. Now that the ISO-CAT6 is out of the line (and sold), I will re-evaluate the three ethernet cables and repost here.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Today, we had a test with Shunyata Sigma, SOTM, Fabrizio and Shunyata Omega. Wow, never in my mind I was ready what is going to happen. How can possibly ethernet cables sound so different is totaly beyond me. I will cut it very short. Fabrizio good cable for the money, slightly more expensive SOTM little better not by much, more detail perhaps, bigger jump in improvements with Sigma, I was thinking wow, but Omega oh my.....unbelievable, now it sounds exactly the way I want it , natural, more open sound, with a lot more air and space between instruments, the vocal so distinct and more human, simply so much more resolution with incredible increase in bass department, I can not be without this cable too long so I ordered it, on wensday I am going to pick it up. I added Nordost kones BC(bronze/ceramic) under SOTM switch and they also improved sound greatly, more then I expect it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing