Smokers celebrate as Wash. legalizes marijuana

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By GENE JOHNSON, AP

SEATTLE — The crowds of happy people lighting joints under Seattle's Space Needle early Thursday morning with nary a police officer in sight bespoke the new reality: Marijuana is legal under Washington state law.

Hundreds gathered at Seattle Center for a New Year's Eve-style countdown to 12 a.m., when the legalization measure passed by voters last month took effect. When the clock struck, they cheered and sparked up in unison.

A few dozen people gathered on a sidewalk outside the north Seattle headquarters of the annual Hempfest celebration and did the same, offering joints to reporters and blowing smoke into television news cameras.

"I feel like a kid in a candy store!" shouted Hempfest volunteer Darby Hageman. "It's all becoming real now!"

Washington and Colorado became the first states to vote to decriminalize and regulate the possession of an ounce or less of marijuana by adults over 21. Both measures call for setting up state licensing schemes for pot growers, processors and retail stores. Colorado's law is set to take effect by Jan. 5.

Technically, Washington's new marijuana law still forbids smoking pot in public, which remains punishable by a fine, like drinking in public. But pot fans wanted a party, and Seattle police weren't about to write them any tickets.

In another sweeping change for Washington, Gov. Chris Gregoire on Wednesday signed into law a measure that legalizes same-sex marriage. The state joins several others that allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.

The mood was festive in Seattle as dozens of gay and lesbian couples got in line to pick up marriage licenses at the King County auditor's office early Thursday.

King County and Thurston County announced they would open their auditors' offices shortly after midnight Wednesday to accommodate those who wanted to be among the first to get their licenses.

Kelly Middleton and her partner Amanda Dollente got in line at 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Hours later, as the line grew, volunteers distributed roses and a group of men and women serenaded the waiting line to the tune of "Going to the Chapel."

Because the state has a three-day waiting period, the earliest that weddings can take place is Sunday.

In dealing with marijuana, the Seattle Police Department told its 1,300 officers on Wednesday, just before legalization took hold, that until further notice they shall not issue citations for public marijuana use.

Officers will be advising people not to smoke in public, police spokesman Jonah Spangenthal-Lee wrote on the SPD Blotter. "The police department believes that, under state law, you may responsibly get baked, order some pizzas and enjoy a `Lord of the Rings' marathon in the privacy of your own home, if you want to."

He offered a catchy new directive referring to the film "The Big Lebowski," popular with many marijuana fans: "The Dude abides, and says `take it inside!'"

"This is a big day because all our lives we've been living under the iron curtain of prohibition," said Hempfest director Vivian McPeak. "The whole world sees that prohibition just took a body blow."

Washington's new law decriminalizes possession of up to an ounce for those over 21, but for now selling marijuana remains illegal. I-502 gives the state a year to come up with a system of state-licensed growers, processors and retail stores, with the marijuana taxed 25 percent at each stage. Analysts have estimated that a legal pot market could bring Washington hundreds of millions of dollars a year in new tax revenue for schools, health care and basic government functions.

But marijuana remains illegal under federal law. That means federal agents can still arrest people for it, and it's banned from federal properties, including military bases and national parks.

The Justice Department has not said whether it will sue to try to block the regulatory schemes in Washington and Colorado from taking effect.

"The department's responsibility to enforce the Controlled Substances Act remains unchanged," said a statement issued Wednesday by the Seattle U.S. attorney's office. "Neither states nor the executive branch can nullify a statute passed by Congress."

The legal question is whether the establishment of a regulated marijuana market would "frustrate the purpose" of the federal pot prohibition, and many constitutional law scholars say it very likely would.

That leaves the political question of whether the administration wants to try to block the regulatory system, even though it would remain legal to possess up to an ounce of marijuana.

Alison Holcomb is the drug policy director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington and served as the campaign manager for New Approach Washington, which led the legalization drive. She said the voters clearly showed they're done with marijuana prohibition.

"New Approach Washington sponsors and the ACLU look forward to working with state and federal officials and to ensure the law is fully and fairly implemented," she said.

___

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is one of those stories that seems to be far more important to press than the citizens of our state :). There is a lot of talk about it but there is no change to speak of otherwise.

The big change and battle will come in farming the stuff. It is said that the feds will file suit trying to stop them and that will go up to Supreme Court to decide. Likely will be a couple of years before that gets settled.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
what amazes me is that legalizing pot nationally would give the government a chance to sell it and to make huge profits which could go towards paying for other deficits

not to mention the savings in court, enforcement and incarceration costs for users who use to get locked up.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Uh, I forgot what I was going to say...I think the pizza guy is at the door

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
what amazes me is that legalizing pot nationally would give the government a chance to sell it and to make huge profits which could go towards paying for other deficits

Just like alcohol, the government has no business manufacturing and selling it. However, they could regulate and tax production and wholesale distribution. As it is, controlling the entire value chain is a big issue. Even in the Netherlands, production and wholesale distribution is in the shades of the legal system, while retail distribution is legalized and subject to taxation.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just like alcohol, the government has no business manufacturing and selling it. However, they could regulate and tax production and wholesale distribution. As it is, controlling the entire value chain is a big issue. Even in the Netherlands, production and wholesale distribution is in the shades of the legal system, while retail distribution is legalized and subject to taxation.
From what I have seen, the Colorado system does this. They bar code and track each plant in a pot!!!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Toward deficits...really?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I completely agree with you all. The government only has things to GAIN by the legalization of pot.

The pricing of it should be competitive and unrestricted by the government.

I will object if they add on ridiculous excise or vice taxes.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I completely agree with you all. The government only has things to GAIN by the legalization of pot.

Additional benefit is if they would pass a joint before fiscal cliff and other important negotiations. Everyone would mellow out, and things would get done.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Toward deficits...really?
No chance of it showing up more than round off error but it is good number of dollars. Here is an opinion piece, OK, highly opinionated piece :), from Richard Branson that came out on CNN today: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/06/opinion/branson-end-war-on-drugs/index.html?iref=allsearch

"War on drugs a trillion-dollar failure
By Richard Branson, Special to CNN

Editor's note: Richard Branson is the founder of Virgin Group, with global branded revenues of $21 billion, and a member of the Global Drug Commission. Sir Richard was knighted in 1999 for his services to entrepreneurship. Watch today for Branson's interview with CNN/US' Erin Burnett Out Front at 7pm ET and tomorrow (12/7) with CNN International's Connect the World program at 4pm ET

(CNN) -- In 1925, H. L. Mencken wrote an impassioned plea: "Prohibition has not only failed in its promises but actually created additional serious and disturbing social problems throughout society. There is not less drunkenness in the Republic but more. There is not less crime, but more. ... The cost of government is not smaller, but vastly greater. Respect for law has not increased, but diminished."

This week marks the 79th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition in December 1933, but Mencken's plea could easily apply to today's global policy on drugs.

We could learn a thing or two by looking at what Prohibition brought to the United States: an increase in consumption of hard liquor, organized crime taking over legal production and distribution and widespread anger with the federal government.

Here we are, four decades after Richard Nixon declared the war on drugs in 1971 and $1 trillion spent since then. What do we have to show for it?

The U.S. has the largest prison population in the world, with about 2.3 million behind bars. More than half a million of those people are incarcerated for a drug law violation. What a waste of young lives.

In business, if one of our companies is failing, we take steps to identify and solve the problem. What we don't do is continue failing strategies that cost huge sums of money and exacerbate the problem. Rather than continuing on the disastrous path of the war on drugs, we need to look at what works and what doesn't in terms of real evidence and data.

The facts are overwhelming. If the global drug trade were a country, it would have one of the top 20 economies in the world. In 2005, the United Nations estimated the global illegal drug trade is worth more than $320 billion. It also estimates there are 230 million illegal drug users in the world, yet 90% of them are not classified as problematic.

In the United States, if illegal drugs were taxed at rates comparable to those on alcohol and tobacco, they would yield $46.7 billion in tax revenue. A Cato study says legalizing drugs would save the U.S. about $41 billion a year in enforcing the drug laws.

Have U.S. drug laws reduced drug use? No. The U.S. is the No. 1 nation in the world in illegal drug use. As with Prohibition, banning alcohol didn't stop people drinking -- it just stopped people obeying the law.
News: Marijuana advocates hope to rise from 'prohibition'

About 40,000 people were in U.S. jails and prisons for drug crimes in 1980, compared with more than 500,000 today. Excessively long prison sentences and locking up people for small drug offenses contribute greatly to this ballooning of the prison population. It also represents racial discrimination and targeting disguised as drug policy. People of color are no more likely to use or sell illegal drugs than white people -- yet from 1980 to 2007, blacks were arrested for drug law violations at rates 2.8 to 5.5 times higher than white arrest rates.

Prohibition failed when the American people spoke up and demanded its repeal. Today, the American people are showing their dissatisfaction with the war on drugs by voting for change, often in the face of federal law.

Colorado and Washington recently became the first U.S. states to legalize recreational use of marijuana. Eighteen states and the District of Columbia allow the medical use of marijuana, and 74% of Americans support alternatives to locking people up for marijuana possession.

How would our society, our communities and daily lives improve if we took the money we use running a police and prison state and put it into education and health? Treating drugs as a health issue could save billions, improve public health and help us better control violence and crime in our communities. Hundreds of thousands of people have died from overdoses and drug-related diseases, including HIV and hepatitis C, because they didn't have access to cost-effective, life-saving solutions.

A Pew study says it costs the U.S. an average of $30,000 a year to incarcerate an inmate, but the nation spends only an average $11,665 per public school student. The future of our nations and our children should be our priority. We should be helping people addicted to drugs break their habits rather than putting users in prison.

When it comes to drugs, we should focus on the goals we agree on: protecting our kids, protecting public safety and preventing and treating drug abuse and addiction. To help unlock barriers to drug reform, last June, I joined the Global Commission on Drug Policy, which is bringing global leadership to drug reform to make fact-based research public and draw attention to successful alternative approaches.

As part of this work, a new documentary, "Breaking the Taboo," narrated by Oscar award-winning actor Morgan Freeman and produced by my son Sam Branson's indie Sundog Pictures, followed the commission's attempts to break the political taboo over the war on drugs. The film exposes the biggest failure of global policy in the past 40 years and features revealing contributions from global leaders, including former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.

It is time we broke the taboo and opened up the debate about the war on drugs. We need alternatives that focus on education, health, taxation and regulation.

If you ignore a serious problem, refuse to debate it and hope it will go away all by itself, you are very naive. The war on drugs has failed. It's time to confront the issue head on.
Follow @CNNOpinion on Twitter"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Twinkies just might survive yet. :D

Seriously though, people that smoke pot (personally I don't like how it reduces my IQ to the low teens) smoke, laugh, get hungry then sleep. I just hope they don't drive or operate machinery somewhere in between. I hope we won't see stoned driving incidents with injuries and fatalities.

Pot being a gateway drug is a big debate, personally I think it is. On the other hand I believe that a part of this is the behavioral trends set by modus operandi of illicit procurement.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I am asking these questions in all honesty. What are the side effects of Marijuana? Are they as acute as those of alcohol and tobacco? Is dependency real? Does the use of it lead to more potent drugs?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am asking these questions in all honesty. What are the side effects of Marijuana? Are they as acute as those of alcohol and tobacco? Is dependency real? Does the use of it lead to more potent drugs?
Franz- I suspect you'll find studies all over the lot and I'm not sure there will ever be a real answer when we seem to be unable to determine why some people have 'addictive' personalities, and others can smoke a cigarette or have a drink and not become craven smokers or alcoholics. I'm sure sucking smoke into your lungs isn't good, even if it doesn't have all the nasty stuff that tobacco seems to; nor would i like to drive on the highway with the other guy stoned out of his gourd. As Jack said, whether it leads to other drugs may partly be due to the 'underground' mileu in which it is made available. Do alcoholics also become barbituate users or junkies? I don't know.
I see the possibility of legalization on a national level more likely to be the result of a tax revenue generating/control/stop spending money on the 'war on drugs' political shift than any enlightened science on the subject.

TJE

Nov 12, 2012
Someone should say this: legalizing weed can't hurt the audio industry. Calmly sitting back and enjoying an album is the kind of thing people do under the influence. Maybe this is a good sign for the future of the audio hobby.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I am asking these questions in all honesty. What are the side effects of Marijuana? Relaxation, mild euphoria Are they as acute as those of alcohol and tobacco? In essence, alcohol puts one's brain to sleep. Canna does not do that. Is dependency real? Does the use of it lead to more potent drugs? An alcoholic is an alcoholic, regardless

Reply in bold.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Let's hope this devolve in a politics discussion .... We have shown a tendency to go there .. The issue is however political.

I believe the US need to address societal problems in a less martial fashion. This notion of "war" on things has shown to not bear great results... We have had war on Poverty, War on drugs and the results are poor to none. The "War on drugs" in particular is an abject failure. The question remains. What are the effect of the use of mind altering substances on society? In the short, medium and long term... From my uninformed point of view .. Smoking a cigarette seems to be medium to long term... A glass of wine or any alcohol can have more serious immediate effect, i-e short term . . You get a buzz you get impaired you get to your car and you end a life or cause serious harm to others .. Cigarette doesn't have the same effect ... Would Marijuana? How are its effect compared to alcohol and/or tobacco ? What will be the effect of legal use of marijuana? How do we plan to enforce its abuse? Does it lead to the use of more potent drugs?
I would like to see a clear body of scientific work about the potential effects of the widespread use of drugs of any kind. I would like to understand why marijuana the use of marijuana was declared illegal in the first place... I can however see how there will be less money to be made in Marijuana from the streets gang .. Now it will become the province of big aggro-industrial complex .. Non GMO, Organic, blunts? :) And likely the government will derive revenues from it rather than spending on it ...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am asking these questions in all honesty. What are the side effects of Marijuana?

Like all mind altering substances, Marijuana kills braincells. Otherwise, there is no record (as far as I know), of anyone ever dying of Marijuana OD (as opposed to acute alcohol posioning). From a social behaviour perspective, I would a lot rather be encountering a bunch of hooligans of the opposing team in a dark alley high on pot than drunk on Miller lite. In fact, they would probably high five me and pass me their joint.

Is dependency real? Does the use of it lead to more potent drugs?

This is strictly a function of the psychological make up of the user. However, while certain drugs are physically addictive, Marijuana is not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing