spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I get having that wide diffusor panel on the front wall. But I'm slightly confused by the same panels on the side walls. I was always under the impression it was advised to have: diffusion front wall and absorption (not diffusion) side walls, esp at reflection points.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I too was concerned at first about the look of the bubbles but once painted and installed we love them.
Most of the people that enter our showroom love the bubbles on the ceiling.
They comment on them all the time. We even get people that want to buy just those. They look better in person as well
Fair enough Darrin. I guess I should reserve judgment until i've seen those ceiling panels in person. I should say overall the SMT room treatments looks amazing. I'm impressed by how tunable the SMT acoustic panels are to the specific needs of the room. And you can always opt for alternative ceiling panels if push came to shove; eg: ASC or RPG (as used by Magico).

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They're not exactly diffusors. They create a time delay, which is all you need on side walls. The first reflections are bad because they're too close in time to the fundamental wave. They also do actually absorb some stuff.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bodhi, those Magico room ceiling panels are not a million miles different from GIK Polyfusors. I don't want to go OT here, but I'm putting a lot of thought into ceiling treatments for my 30° descending eaves, and the more install photos I see, the better.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Bodhi, those Magico room ceiling panels are not a million miles different from GIK Polyfusors. I don't want to go OT here, but I'm putting a lot of thought into ceiling treatments for my 30° descending eaves, and the more install photos I see, the better.
Yeah I like GIK Acoustics. They're good value & work. But I don't want to derail this SMT thread any further, so i'll button my lip now :p.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Same here. My abiding thought on room treatments is that it's so hard to make decisions on diffusion v absorption, placement, even choice within individual brands is complex.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Darrin, how competitive were SMT with their quote (incl: consulation) vs altenative room acoustics companies you considered?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I get having that wide diffusor panel on the front wall. But I'm slightly confused by the same panels on the side walls. I was always under the impression it was advised to have: diffusion front wall and absorption (not diffusion) side walls, esp at reflection points.

Putting absorbers on the side wall at first reflection point is actually 'old school' acoustics. It got implemented in the second half of the 20th century and is still very frequently recommended by acoustical firms. Not because it is required, but because it is cheap to make and the concept sells like belgian waffles to non-averted audiophiles.

I tested endlessly and after modifying and tuning and finally taking a 6-month course on acoustics as I was fed up with the unisono recommendation of each of the acoustic companies (their only difference being the absorber thickness recommended for the panel and the prices charged).
Simply explained, if you (try to) take away the first reflection point, this suddenly makes your sound image a lot narrower, to even half of it! You may argue: yes but then I don' have the negative effect of a naked reflection point. True! because a bare wall reflection is not natural in any acoustic setting and loudspeakers struggle with the effect. The thing is, how to get a diffusor to work as a concert hall wall or a recording studio where the walls are much further from the instruments etc?
Very few companies have worked that out and clearly SMT stands out with their S- and V-wings. These wings do not only diffuse the incoming sound waves, they also introduce - and that is unique - a time diffusion. Both combined explain their effect. Suddenly the room becomes (virtually) much bigger, the soundstage widens a lot but without loosing focus, on the contrary! The time delay causes the sound to be experienced as being 'richer' as our brain adds the delayed incoming waves from the wings to the original and this causes this effect.

There are quite a few other effects when using several wings or a whole room but I think I shared what I have to based on Marc's post.

If you want a first idea, before going crazy, of what the SMT can do: buy one pallet with four wings, put two on the first reflection point behind each speaker and two on the lateral reflection points, if it doesnt amaze you, you will stay away from them, simple! But you will be amazed and start thinking how many would fit in your room, don't be alarmed, join the club :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Putting absorbers on the side wall at first reflection point is actually 'old school' acoustics...

...SMT stands out with their S- and V-wings. These wings do not only diffuse the incoming sound waves, they also introduce - and that is unique - a time diffusion. Both combined explain their effect. Suddenly the room becomes (virtually) much bigger, the soundstage widens a lot but without loosing focus, on the contrary! The time delay causes the sound to be experienced as being 'richer' as our brain adds the delayed incoming waves from the wings to the original and this causes this effect.

...If you want a first idea, before going crazy, of what the SMT can do: buy one pallet with four wings, put two on the first reflection point behind each speaker and two on the lateral reflection points, if it doesnt amaze you, you will stay away from them, simple! But you will be amazed and start thinking how many would fit in your room, don't be alarmed, join the club :)

Very interesting...i am told that Stillpoints Apertures are both reflectors and diffusors, and the local distributor found good results with this same positioning to start. Behind speakers and to the sides at first reflection point. We could not do sides in the living room, but they are behind the speakers and work extremely well.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Very interesting...i am told that Stillpoints Apertures are both reflectors and diffusors, and the local distributor found good results with this same positioning to start. Behind speakers and to the sides at first reflection point. We could not do sides in the living room, but they are behind the speakers and work extremely well.

Well, looking at the website I read that its dimensions are very living room friendly and yet "Stillpoints Aperture have been found effective from 40 HZ to 40K HZ. "
When it is too good to be true...

But wait, only measuring 57x57 cms and costing 600 GBP!! In other words, 4 times as expensive as the MDF version of SMT diffusors or 8 times as expensive as the hard cardboard version of SMT! The wings of SMT measuring 120*60 cms in standard format.

No doubt it will have an effect, like everything is better than having a naked hard wall too close to the speakers or behind the listening position or behind the speakers. Question is, does it bring the best the speakers in your room can do for you ? If you haven't experienced proper diffusion, you can't miss it neither!;)

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I've tried contacting SMT directly with no response (I know, it's vacation season in EU, so maybe that's it?) Are there dealers service CA in the US?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I've tried contacting SMT directly with no response (I know, it's vacation season in EU, so maybe that's it?) Are there dealers service CA in the US?
I know Matts has been away in August, you might want to try again.
And yes, he has installation service in the US, he just embarked in a major refurb project of the factory demo room of a well-known company. Not to me to disclose already though.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
I know Matts has been away in August, you might want to try again.
And yes, he has installation service in the US, he just embarked in a major refurb project of the factory demo room of a well-known company. Not to me to disclose already though.
I heard from the shop in Nevada that reps them. Supposedly some new designs available in September.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing