Some Little Truths about AES/EBU.

Preston8452

Jan 5, 2022
Hi all,

Have you wondered why there are some many types of digital audio transfer benchmarks?

Anyways, so it's said that AES/EBU(AES3) is the the most common alternative to the S/PDIF, and typically used to transmit PCM and Dolby Digital 5.1, the cable is formed by 110 ohm shielded twisted pair (STP) cable with XLR connectors up to a distance of 100 meters, and it's got longer life span .

Fun fact, most AES3 interfaces are self-clocking, they carry an embedded clock from the source. that being said, a receiving device can be synchronized just to the embedded clock from the source device in a simple audio system.

A DAC could automatically synchronize itself to the incoming signal; and so does a CD recorder when it's recording, some might use an external World Clock to as a master to slave other devices to achieve better clock synchronization, which effectively lowers the jitter effect and levels up the digital audio quality, per se.

It serves 2-channels of 24bit/192k audio, but it also has the capability of carrying 4-channels of 24bit or 20bit/96k digital audio(I would't say optimally), and those may be related "stereo" channels or independent mono channels or 1-stereo plus 2 mono, however, when it comes to " Sound Quality ", it's somewhat personal & subjective haha..., so it's not really my place to conclude which digital audio format can be the best fit to an audio system, still all depends on the setup and the preference of one's ears.

Hope my understandings are correct, please do share anything below if interested, I'd like to know more about the digital audio stuff for sure!

Best,
audiophonics-canare-110-ohm-aes-ebu-shielded-cable-gold-plated-1m.jpg

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing