Something wicked this way comes... (2020 speaker teaser content)

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Thanks for all of the above response Duke. Appreciate it. Looking forward to hearing what you make.

And if I do ever end up helping people build stereos, I'll still push your swarm, regardless of any rent paying concerns. What other solution is there?? Thanks for all your contributions.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Aside from this solution, obviously: Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Jim Romeyn recently did a sketch of our forthcoming 2x15 "something wicked" which this way comes. The final dimensions may change a little but this will give a good idea of what to expect:

1618025590514.jpeg

Last edited:

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
And our friend Hans Looman of Infigo Audio did a few 3-D renderings. Again, some details may be a bit different in the production version:
Looks great! Really exciting. And apologies if it's earlier in the thread... what's the sensitivity?

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Looks great! Really exciting. And apologies if it's earlier in the thread... what's the sensitivity?
Thank you!!

We will be doing two versions.

One will be a ballpark 100 dB efficient specialty-tube-amp-friendly version with a benign impedance curve (we won't know the exact impedance numbers until we measure the finished speaker). You mentioned the Atma-Sphere S-30 in a previous post, and the 100 dB version will be S-30 friendly.

The other version will be designed with solid state amps in mind and will have a 2.83-volt sensitivity of about 95 dB (which falls into the ballpark of some of the big Wilsons, for instance). We want to offer a solid-state-optimized high-performance horn speaker to people who prefer solid state.

We plan to show the solid-state-friendly version at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October.

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom and cal3713

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thank you!!

We will be doing two versions.

One will be a ballpark 100 dB efficient specialty-tube-amp-friendly version with a benign impedance curve (we won't know the exact impedance numbers until we measure the finished speaker). You mentioned the Atma-Sphere S-30 in a previous post, and the 100 dB version will be S-30 friendly.

The other version will be designed with solid state amps in mind and will have a 2.83-volt sensitivity of about 95 dB (which falls into the ballpark of some of the big Wilsons, for instance). We want to offer a solid-state-optimized high-performance horn speaker to people who prefer solid state.

We plan to show the solid-state-friendly version at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October.
For the SS friendly one you are going to replace the horn with a 6inch cone and a soft dome?? ;)

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
For the SS friendly one you are going to replace the horn with a 6inch cone and a soft dome?? ;)
Ha! Great idea!!

And should I also make the box seven inches wide and two feet deep and put the 15" woofers on the sides?

Gotta get the impedance to dip down below 2 ohms while I'm at it, just to keep the tube guys away...

The Ministry of Propaganda started another related thread.

• Love
Reactions: ddk and Folsom

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ha! Great idea!!

And should I also make the box seven inches wide and two feet deep and put the 15" woofers on the sides?

Gotta get the impedance to dip down below 2 ohms while I'm at it, just to keep the tube guys away...

The Ministry of Propaganda started another related thread.
Now you are thinking “inside the box “! Don’t forget some nasty phase angles through the crossover to really test those big SS amps...

Duke LeJeune

Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Now you are thinking “inside the box “! Don’t forget some nasty phase angles through the crossover to really test those big SS amps...
I'll pick up some phase angles next time I'm at the hardware store, and install them on the crossover board. Thanks for the suggestion!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing