Sometimes you have to eat Crow

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's going to sound even better I betcha Mark after you have the KBL playing through the KSA-250. I always felt that Dan always integrated and matched his components perfectly.

I sure hope so Steve. I want to talk about how horrible the PL amps sound in comparison to the KSA-250!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I sure hope so Steve. I want to talk about how horrible the PL amps sound in comparison to the KSA-250!

Mark,

I think the superiority of the Krell amp could be argued merely on the electrical characteristics (current capability, etc.) and the subjective impressions will simply add to the merits.

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Mark,

I think the superiority of the Krell amp could be argued merely on the electrical characteristics (current capability, etc.) and the subjective impressions will simply add to the merits.

Lee

Yeah, the capability of the Krell almost seems like a waste on an easy load. About time for a speaker upgrade Mark? :)

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, the capability of the Krell almost seems like a waste on an easy load. About time for a speaker upgrade Mark? :)

Tim

Tim-On paper my Def Tech BP7000SC speakers look like a very easy load to drive due to their relative high efficiency. However, moving from 100 watts of Jadis power to 225+ watts of PL power has shown me that my speakers like the power and control of SS. I hate the fact that Def Tech wasn’t candid enough to reveal the actual impedance of the speakers (“compatible with 8 ohms”-what the hell does that mean?), but it is obvious that they like power. They are rated for 1000 watts of input power which seems a bit crazy to me given their stated efficiency, but I can honestly say I have never heard them being stressed and having thermal compression or distorting.

Now, when the day comes that I buy a *new* pair of speakers, it won’t be because of the KSA-250. It will be because I’m ready to move on to something better. And there’s always something better isn’t there? You ragged on my speakers saying the tweeters were bright so that should be enough reason to move them on down the road. What I really need is a pair of speakers that no one could find fault with to match the rest of the gear that I own that no one can find fault with. Nah, I'll settle for pleasing me.

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

Lee

Lee-There is no doubt that the Krell KSA-250 is built to a much higher standard than the PL ever was. A PL 400 Series 2 amp only weighs about 45 lbs. The power transformer in the KSA-250 weighs 85 lbs alone. The PL can't double its power each time the impedance is cut in half. The PL isn't recommended for loads lower than 4 ohms while the KSA-250 would loaf along with a 2 ohm load able to put out a cool 1000 watts. What I want to hear is how that translates into real world sound. I hope it's an ear opener.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've spent a lot of time with Def Techs and they do sound a little bright to me. But I think I've also told you that I have a ton of respect for them as a company, I like their design ethos, their excellent use of integrated powered subs, passive radiators and bi polar design, most of all, the fact that they have a quality and consistency from their small book shelf speakers all the way up to their biggest towers that is admirable.

I would hardly call a bit bright for my taste "ragging."

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ragging and criticism kind of go together. It's all good Tim. It only took 3 sessions with a shrink to help me come to grips with your criticism and after a few more hours of therapy, I think I will get through it.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
i was biamping the big Apogee panels with 2 stereo Belles Research amps rated at 200 wpch. When I moved to the 4 Krell monoblocks, it was as if I had a completely different system. I hope the amp helps transform yours too.

Lee

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Lee. i hope so too.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Wasn't it a Krell amp that someone showed they could actually arc weld with it??

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Atma-Sphere amps can be used as an Easy Bake Oven!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Wasn't it a Krell amp that someone showed they could actually arc weld with it??

I'm not sure but the first time I remember the term "arc welder" being associated with an amplifier was HP's Dayton Wright speaker review where he commented that you needed an arc welder like the Phase Linear to drive the speakers ;)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I remember that the original Mark Levinson amp (ML-2?) the 25-watt Class A, was the first about which this reference was made. It seems that Mark, the Man, Levinson made that boast in an European show. Mark has always been a good salesman. This was back in the late 70's .. I may have read it in "La Nouvelle Revue Du Son" (New Journal Review of Sound would be an adequate translation ... I am not certain that there are any audio amps capable of delivering the usual 200 amps and up required for arc welding though ...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Kind of a macho, mine's bigger'n yours amp discussion here. I'm a huge believer in headroom; I think it may actually be more important than all the rest of the stuff we audiophiles fuss over combined (except for speakers and rooms). But arc-welding, mountain-moving grunt, for the sake of grunt, seems like as much of a waste as THD with a half-dozen zeros after the decimal point if you don't have a load that demands it. I find the over-engineering of big SS iron interesting in the same way I think military Hummers are cool. But if I'm driving on paved roads.....?

The word synergy comes to mind.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing