Sonus Faber Stradivari ....

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Just to add another view on this, my Strads are placed 3 feet out from back wall and 2 feet from side walls in a 13x24 ft room without any specific room treatments and bass is just tight and fine. Though I have all my equipment on Ansuz Acoustics Darkz DTC which is a big reason for the in room results. But, consider amplifiers that can give good support in the 2,5-3 ohm area.

Mike
Every room is different. I too have my Strads about 3’ from the back wall. The low end is too wooly and I have chosen to use Subs to play the lowest octaves and plugged the Strads. Far better low end.

If I could pull them out further, I believe they might be fine on their own. That is why I suggested with flexibility in placement, they would work in the OP’s room. Without flexibility, I would have said to be prepared to use subs and leverage their placement flexibility.

The rear port of the Strads needs to be placed perfectly in a given room to offer the optimal low end.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love my Strads, they are my forever speakers
Beautiful set up! I am curious as to why you removed the spikes from the speakers and instead lay them flat on the floor without any rake. Did you remove them for sound quality or because you did not want spikes on the floor?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well...I used to own them so I had a little bit more insight than most. Enjoy. They are magical speakers. They and the SF Guarneris (also owned) are 2 of my favorites.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Attn: 1kw

Nice one there mate! Matched with McIntosh gear, a fine combination.
BTW what's the line up of mac gear there:
Preamp?
Are those the mc601 monoblocks? What's the big fella at the bottom? Looks like an older mc301... can't say.
Noticed a Michell Gyro-deck... love it!
What's the cartridge on the gyro deck? Cables and accessories?

The SF strads... one of the damn sexiest speakers on the planet! Stunningly gorgeous finish, with a very high waf! My wifey loved those! Now, she thinks the CLX's look like a huge mosquito trapping fly mesh... whatever.

Fantastic mate, enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ

1kw

Aug 27, 2023
LBI, NJ

Preamp?
Are those the mc601 monoblocks? What's the big fella at the bottom? Looks like an older mc301... can't say.

The SF strads... one of the damn sexiest speakers on the planet! Stunningly gorgeous finish, with a very high waf! My wifey loved those! Now, she thinks the CLX's look like a huge mosquito trapping fly mesh... whatever.

Woof! RJ
Nice to meet you big dog, the pre amp is a Mcintosh C2300 with gold lion tubes, the mono blocks are MC501’s . I purchased everything new even though they are from around 2009 they sound wonderful. The Gyro SE has a SME 309 tone arm with a shelter 501 mk II MC cartridge. Cable IC are wire world silver eclipse balanced between the components and wire world USB cable from the computer to the PS Audio DIrectstream DAC (software upgrades come out every year so the DAC stays current ) .

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

1kw

Aug 27, 2023
LBI, NJ
Well...I used to own them so I had a little bit more insight than most. Enjoy. They are magical speakers. They and the SF Guarneris (also owned) are 2 of my favorites.
LL21 funny you should mention the SF Guarneri Memmentos which I have in my theater room. I am waiting for the the my JL Audio F112 subwoofer to arrive on Thursday and the MX 100 Processor which will go above my C2300 in the built in.

Attachments

• IMG_2633.jpeg
    IMG_2633.jpeg
    793.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Birdwatcher

1kw

Aug 27, 2023
LBI, NJ

Preamp?

Woof! RJ
Oh the “big fellow on the bottom” as you mentioned is a brand new MC255 multi channel amplifier for the home theater room on the other side of the wall the built in is on. This way I don’t have distracting meter lights when I am watching a movie while still getting ton enjoy a nice Mcintosh stack when I am in my 2 channel room. I also have another sonos amp for the Atmos speakers in the ceiling in the media theater room so my wife can put music on in there with her sonos app or roon anytime she wants . The Mcintosh MX100 is supposed to arrive Tuesday which is only digital inputs and balanced analog out for the 7 channels and subwoofer output. Subwoofer is arriving Thursday and is a JL Audio F112 . I have an Apple Tv for streaming to the processor and a Oppo Blu-ray player for disks I have. I had a Cat 6 cable run between the 2 rooms and am using a HDMI balun on both ends for the TV and Apple TV rather than running a long HDMI cable.

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    824.7 KB · Views: 4

1kw

Aug 27, 2023
LBI, NJ
Few more pictures of the media room, waiting for a rug and plantation shutters are ordered for the windows. The ceiling speakers are Triad Bronze amiable box speakers. The two in the front ceiling are Atmos and the pair in the back ceiling are rear surrounds all are aimed to the center of the sectional couch.

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    660.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2663.jpeg
    IMG_2663.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2662.jpeg
    IMG_2662.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 21

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21 funny you should mention the SF Guarneri Memmentos which I have in my theater room. I am waiting for the the my JL Audio F112 subwoofer to arrive on Thursday and the MX 100 Processor which will go above my C2300 in the built in.
Ahaaa...what a great speaker. Had the originals, myself. And used them a Velodyne DD18! Have since upgraded to the DD18+ and still use it today at much lower crossover with the XLFs.

What a great combo you have there!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing