Sony Bulk Mould compound

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Does anyone here know the closest modern equivalaent to Sony Bulk Mould Compound as used in the Sony TTS 8000

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Does anyone here know the closest modern equivalaent to Sony Bulk Mould Compound as used in the Sony TTS 8000
Is that something used to fill cavities in with to dampen resonances?

About 20 years ago I filled the hollow cavities in the plastic plinth of a Dual CS 503-1 to good affect with DUCT SEAL from a local hardware store. It is still pliable.

Like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-1...Jck7kwi1Yob3zK9QuXOdcnhDTqguEfXhoCCcIQAvD_BwE

QUOTE:
Product Overview

Designed for sealing in and around electrical conduit
Creates barrier from air and moisture
Non-toxic, soft compound can be painted immediately
Ideal 1 lb. duct seal in dark gray putty color is Ideal for sealing metal, masonry, wood or plastic. It offers 1.65 specific gravity and is non-toxic. It has calcium carbonate, magnesium aluminum silicate, crystalline quartz silica, butane polymer, synthetic polymer, carbon black, antioxidant, cellulose fiber, aluminum silicate, tall oil rosin and naphthenic wax composition. Duct seal is UL listed.

Moisture and air barrier
Seals around junction boxes, flashings and service entrances
Permanently soft, non-toxic compound can be painted immediately after application
Won't adversely affect other plastic materials or corrode metals

Info & Guides

Product Overview
Model #: 31-601
Internet #: 300496860
Ideal 1 lb. duct seal in dark gray putty color is Ideal for sealing metal, masonry, wood or plastic. It offers 1.65 specific gravity and is non-toxic. It has calcium carbonate, magnesium aluminum silicate, crystalline quartz silica, butane polymer, synthetic polymer, carbon black, antioxidant, cellulose fiber, aluminum silicate, tall oil rosin and naphthenic wax composition. Duct seal is UL listed.

Moisture and air barrier
Permanently soft, non-toxic compound can be painted immediately after application

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I should also add, that because of the automatic tonearm lift mechanism and my inability to get around some obstacles such as the tonearm mount a few areas were not filled.

I could tell exactly were these voids were when tapping the plinth with my fingernail.

I resolved this just a few days ago by taking 10 year old Silly Putty and a generic knock-off and placing a rolled up bead along the edges of the tonearm base and control lever plate.

The sections of bright blue, orange and green masking the top of the plinth look silly, but they fleshed out the vocals on an old Depeche Mode LP in a harmonic way.

Body, just more body.

Like proper moisture content in fresh fruit.

NOTE:

Silly Putty did not age as well as DUCT SEAL.

The old Silly Putty barely sticks, has gotten a bit hard and some oils have started to leach out.

Only advantage of Silly Putty is the colors it comes in and the little egg packaging containers.

Last edited:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Is that something used to fill cavities in with to dampen resonances?

About 20 years ago I filled the hollow cavities in the plastic plinth of a Dual CS 503-1 to good affect with DUCT SEAL from a local hardware store. It is still pliable.

Like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-1...Jck7kwi1Yob3zK9QuXOdcnhDTqguEfXhoCCcIQAvD_BwE

QUOTE:
Product Overview

Moisture and air barrier

Info & Guides

Product Overview
Model #: 31-601
Internet #: 300496860

Moisture and air barrier

Dear George

I think that might be the closest match - for that I thank you sincerely.
There's a few options i was considering:

1. getting a similar material in slabs and get it machined to the shape I want
2. make a plinth that is hollow from aluminium plate - and fill it with the putty
3. make total new design with an aerolam subchassis (BTW I made some aerolam with glue and aluminium plate) with a heavy top plate (I was considering a panzerholz sandwich)

I think I may go with option 2

Loheswaran

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Soundofvoid did something similar, think there was an AutoCad drawing turned into a CNC milling file.

Link:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/the-story-of-my-mitsubishi-lt-5v-turntable.1349/

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about resonance tuning and control.

Seems like a multi-layer approach is becoming popular.

Super rigid top plate (stainless steel or aluminum), dampening layer of some kind usually Phenolic resin, followed by MDF or denser wood composite, and usually mirror image top to bottom.

Of course carbon fiber is both rigid and self dampening, but I misplaced my autoclave in the move haha.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing