Soothing the audiophile itch in 2021

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
When I was on the upgrade (itch) path, I would call my nephew and tell him I was being attacked by the audiophile nymphs.o_O

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Still waiting for the Spectral phono. Otherwise, staying put and enjoying this modified Yggy2 DAC and Shunyata power conditioning, which have rendered staggering results - digital like I've never heard before anywhere else, yet...

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Looks like 2021 might be a lean year for the manufactures. At least based on this forum.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
I've had a fairly eventful year in 2020 with a new preamp (here) , new tonearms, new cartridges (here) and a change in power amp .. the main thing I'm hoping to do in 2021 is have my Audio Note CDT2 transport upgraded to belt drive .. a modification Audio Note say may be available sometime next year.

There's also a chance of a further change in power amp .. hoping to hear the latest iteration of the Audiopax Model 88 monoblocks to match the Audiopax Model 5 pre that arrived in January this year. I have to say, the performance will need to be extraordinary to beat the Leben CS1000P that arrived mid-year, which is a very nice partner indeed for my custom vintage Tannoys.

(Pic from the link above):

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Perhaps a new Shunyata power distributor for me.

I'm holding out hope for a smaller Everest 4000 T for those of us with smaller systems but, want Everest performance.

Sadly, I don't think that will come to pass. Most likely we will see an Everest version of the discontinued Denali 2000T.

Also, perhaps a pair of MIT 2C3D speaker cables.

That's it.

Like @ack , I'm holding out hope for new Spectral gear in new categories (phono and dac) in 2021. But, rather than the phono stage I'd take the SDR-5000 DAC.

2020 was a wild year so, maybe hell will freeze over in 2021 and we we will see the phono stage or DAC released or announced :)

Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Perhaps a new Shunyata conditioner for me.

I'm holding out hope for a smaller Everest 4000 T for those of us with smaller systems but, want Everest performance.

Sadly, I don't think that will come to pass. Most likely we will see an Everest version of the discontinued Denali 2000T.
The Denali 6000S/V2 is supposed be the smaller Everest you expect.

Reactions: Zeotrope and Mdp632

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Like @ack , I'm holding out hope for new Spectral gear in new categories (phono and dac) in 2021. But, rather than the phono stage I'd take the SDR-5000 DAC.
After waiting for over a decade, I have signed my will so that my son can eventually take advantage of it

Reactions: Mikem53

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ok, I have been an audiophile for 3 decades, and have owned 3 pairs of speakers in that time. How does that sound?

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I just finished building my "last" pair of speakers. We will see how long that lasts. Actually I should thin the heard a bit. Just need to drop some large format compression drivers into my HT mains. Got the networks built just have to crack the cabinets and reset the levels.

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing