Sophia Electric EL34-ST

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I have an LTA Z40+ intigrated amp. It came with upgraded NOS Mullard El34s (xf2) in place of standard KT77s. I bought it used. Original owner swapped signal tubes but not power tubes and I did the same. I have tried SE 274Bs and so I was curious about all the hypes on The El34s. I really found it hard believe they would be better than NOS Mullards. However, despite LTA's claims of how easy their amps are on tubes I really didn't know where my tubes are in life span. So I got a quad...

Well ya... The hype is real. Pretty much better in every way. Stage, air, resolution, timbre, transperancy, highs mids, lows... Just better. It's not really voiced different. It's doesn't sound different, just better. Right out of the box I thought the bass was lacking. That came back. Not lacking. But stage is better, more definition/seperation, more real... And air/decay... It's almost artificial with how much more.

In Mullards defense, I don't actually know where they are. They might be wore out. But I really can't believe new NOS Mullards would be better still. I'm tempted to send off to tester to find out. And I was told signal tubes are more important than powers for changing sound. But yes, they are definitely staying and they are a clear upgrade to me. Pretty happy at this point.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing