Sound Quality of new roon versions (builds)

Omg Roon wants me to update to build 987… :eek:

90698029-8F9C-49D5-9D79-985A0EB3805A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and tima
Don't shoot! Digital is never done.
How soon until you have anti-virus software on your server?
Seems I miss every time lol

• Haha
Reactions: tima
Reactions: christoph
Well actually already 988. I don't notice any differences, although I use more TAS on Extreme than Roon.40A74B99-B5C9-406E-923B-AAF2587662E8.png

Build 987 -- more cowbell!

Steve Z
SNL OMG… Life goes full circle. 20 years ago Walken projected that build 987 would completely Roon his career. 987 upgrade notes should say that its a fix for the reaper virus and generally aids with percussion. Should we take it as a omen and perform the ritual throw the Roons and see what it brings next :D

SNL OMG… Life goes full circle. 20 years ago Walken projected that build 987 would completely Roon his career. 987 upgrade notes should say that its a fix for the reaper virus and generally aids with percussion. Should we take it as a omen and perform the ritual throw the Roons and see what it brings next :D
I am also on build 988 and for what it’s worth, I’ve had zero issues with the last several updates. I’ve also not noticed any significant changes to sound quality - it’s been consistently good in my opinion.

I did experiment for a while with the Innuos Sense platform and while it may (not sure) offer a bit better resolution and separation, the difference for me wasn’t enough to outweigh the incredibly friendly and fun Roon interface. I’m a very happy Roon user.

Updated and - not a darn bit of difference. Still sounds great feeding HQplayer! :)

Updated and - not a darn bit of difference. Still sounds great feeding HQplayer! :)
Same here, just using squeezelite output engine :cool:

Reactions: sbo6
Any of you tried the new "prefer(Qobuz)-over(Tidal)-feature" (or vice-versa) I was requesting over a year ago that they FINALLY implemented?

Reactions: oldmustang
What is this new function?

I'm a fan of this latest Roon configuration option:

1657734434412.png

Any of you tried the new "prefer(Qobuz)-over(Tidal)-feature" (or vice-versa) I was requesting over a year ago that they FINALLY implemented?
Are you saying there’s a ‘feature’ in Roon that simplifies comparing the same file on Qobuz vs Tidal? I have done it myself but only the old fashion way by clicking on versions and then selecting the other platform. Not that that process is super difficult but if there’s an easier way to do it, I’d love to try it!

FWIW, I have found that I often prefer Qobuz over Tidal but often I can’t tell a difference.

Reactions: christoph
Are you saying there’s a ‘feature’ in Roon that simplifies comparing the same file on Qobuz vs Tidal? I have done it myself but only the old fashion way by clicking on versions and then selecting the other platform. Not that that process is super difficult but if there’s an easier way to do it, I’d love to try it!

FWIW, I have found that I often prefer Qobuz over Tidal but often I can’t tell a difference.
I have to begin with Adam and Eve here:
I, too, much prefer Qobuz over Tidal and was annoyed by roon (more or less) always showing Tidal hits after searches and roon radio picks :mad:

So I made a feature request on the roon forum (more than a year ago) for a possibility to tell roon what streaming service to prefer.

I was so annoyed that I unsubscribed Tidal from roon and only used Qobuz, knowingly that I would miss some of my favorite albums, not available in Qobuz :rolleyes:

Now FINALLY after years of begging and upvoting the feature request, roon implemented that function :cool:

If you are using Qobuz AND Tidal, you can tell roon which one to prefer :D
Finally, I want to use Tidal again as band aid for albums that are NOT available in Qobuz ;)

Last edited:
I’m on build 1021 and now I can’t login into Qobuz. I keep getting a message of network error? I am still logged into Tidal and streaming from there fine as well as what’s on my hard drive. But I’ve downloaded a bunch of songs from Qobuz for my various playlists and am really missing that access…

Anyone having a similar problem and found a solution?

I’m on build 1021 and now I can’t login into Qobuz. I keep getting a message of network error? I am still logged into Tidal and streaming from there fine as well as what’s on my hard drive. But I’ve downloaded a bunch of songs from Qobuz for my various playlists and am really missing that access…

Anyone having a similar problem and found a solution?
Let's restart your music server. Every thing will be ok.

Reactions: PYP
Thanks Steve! So simple, can’t believe I didn’t think to restart it. Logged back in just fine and back to my tunes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing