Speaker Oasis...Bionor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am listening through to tomorrow and then will come back and assess the videos.

it is stock except that the top range driver has been moved to the middle for better coherence in the room.
Kedar, do you have a video of this system playing music?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
When were those impressive cabinets built?

they come from Germany. My understanding is it is stock apart from that one change. Of course I can’t verify the rest of it was built back in the day or recently

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
When were those impressive cabinets built?
Company:Klangfilm GmbH, Emmendingen/Baden Germany founded by AEG and Siemens & Halske.
euronor is built first time 1950 for cinema Polyphone AG thats what i known the jr is a smaller system maybe later

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I am listening through to tomorrow and then will come back and assess the videos.

it is stock except that the top range driver has been moved to the middle for better coherence in the room.
basically the setup we listened to at BAM! a few years ago, the sound is very organic yet IMHO lacks a little detail in the mid range, or rather the detail is a tad 'granular'

edit; it could even be the very same units.

great speaker, but it needs loads of space.

Stock panels will each have a number printed on them.

more at www.klangfilm.org

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Perhaps Tango really would have been better off searching out a genuine original example of this type of transducer
why would that be? They are not in a Cinema, that was what these beasts were designed for, like Bionor.
For a Museum I'd agree but for real life use the horn is better placed in this set up IMHO (although I'd want it mounted in a way that it's adjustable for phase)

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
why would that be? They are not in a Cinema, that was what these beasts were designed for, like Bionor.
For a Museum I'd agree but for real life use the horn is better placed in this set up IMHO (although I'd want it mounted in a way that it's adjustable for phase)
Marcel , Would you prefer an original example of either of these vintage transducers … or a rather expensive modern attempt at a replica of the former?

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Marcel , Would you prefer an original example of either of these vintage transducers … or an expensive modern attempt at a replica of the former?
that totally depends on what the condition of the former is and how the latter is done.

I'm not into museal value, neither into wannabe systems, I'm into great sound and tend to think that using proven principles and designs can be taken further.

The Euronor Junior is a great system, be it that it was designed for theatre use, that does not mean that nobody else can build a great Kugelwellenhorn based system, nor that nobody could recreate a Euronor Junior.

Why do you think this is not an original ?

The set we heard at BAM was mostly original, and it sounded great but slightly dated.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I am not referring to the rather lovely original Euronor Juniors here , when I refer to a modern copy of this type of transducer , why do you think that I am ?
I may well have misunderstood your earlier post....

mea culpa!

I read it as he better should listen to an original, meaining this is a copy, but upon re-reading you may well have intended is as that he should consider those original units for his system.

Perhaps Tango really would have been better off searching out a genuine original example of this type of transducer

Reactions: Argonaut

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The system in the photo was converted for home use. Typically, two tweeter horns are mounted at the top of the baffle. have fun at home 63677916.jpg

Last edited:

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Reactions: DasguteOhr

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
A while ago we (bunch of audio freaks) had a tweeter shootout that included that Klangfilm horn and original filter in my Trionor prototype, and it came in second (by a hair). That unit is great, yet likely somewhat unobtanium...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Company:Klangfilm GmbH, Emmendingen/Baden Germany founded by AEG and Siemens & Halske.
euronor is built first time 1950 for cinema Polyphone AG thats what i known the jr is a smaller system maybe later

Yes. I am curious if those specific cabinets are original or later reproductions. If they are later, then they are one more example of why it is so difficult to simply wait around searching for an original pair as was suggested earlier and why people get new cabinets made.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A while ago we (bunch of audio freaks) had a tweeter shootout that included that Klangfilm horn and original filter in my Trionor prototype, and it came in second (by a hair). That unit is great, yet likely somewhat unobtanium...
Unobtanium are the acoustic lense for tweeterhorn to create a denser sound field at short distances and a wider radiation. up to 15khz no matter where you sit.

01.jpg

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
we tried the horn with and without that lens, and we concluded it was best without when used at home.
Dynamics were slightly impaired, timing and phase coherence too.

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
My current speakers have (almost) no crossover…just a cap on the paper tweeter. The mid is a Lowther with Whizzer removed and a huge Alnico magnet. Woofers are all paper too and horn loaded. For speed and tone the synthetic materials need not apply.

From the Electravolt blog (ETF 2022):

"We decided to use the Stereo Sound (Wharfdale inspired) open baffle to show case just the driver. Something most people know with the one variable of a premium field coil driver able to reach 50hz to 10,000hz unassisted by crossover, baffle step correction or anything other than the two wires coming out of the amplifier. The Supravox 215 Heritage."

1708816565763.png

Related to this thread:

"Whats next? Other than the drive home we are beginning a new speaker with the Klang Film Eurodyne horn updated with JMLC rollback and milled in wood. This is a tribute to JMLC who was an active ETF member and who brought horns for a shoot out one year in which the Eurodyn took the vote. We have taken this horn and added to it his calculation for the rollback of the Kugelwellen expansion. We post it here in memory of him, his work and his generous contributions to the realm of horn."

1708820419239.png

The pioneer of spherical wave horns for hi-fi use was also present:

1708817085081.png

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
basically the setup we listened to at BAM! a few years ago, the sound is very organic yet IMHO lacks a little detail in the mid range, or rather the detail is a tad 'granular'

edit; it could even be the very same units.

great speaker, but it needs loads of space.

Stock panels will each have a number printed on them.

more at www.klangfilm.org
The free-standing horn - originally intended for baffle mounting - is likely to cause some edge diffraction, at the expense of refinement.

Something that can be largely mitigated by the Azzolino Audio variant with JMLC rollback.

This would be even better:
1708820849089.png

The same horn without rollback:
1708820992191.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcelNL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing