Speakers "commonly" used with Spectral?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I heard them both - very comparable and yes, the Mephisto was/is very reminiscent of the Antileon as you say. It's as though everything in the Antileon had been improved upon - noise floor in particular. The Mephisto is dead silent. In so many ways the Pandora/Mephisto are a throwback to the Sonata Allegro/Antileon - but just better. Gryphon has been doing their homework.

In the end, I sensed a "euphony"(?) in the Mephisto that the Colosseum didn't have - it just appeals to my ears. Someone else...maybe not. But it's important to note that we're talking SMALL amounts here. It's very likely that one could tune/attenuate these differences with their room, accompanying gear, etc. Ultimately however, the deal maker was $30K difference, which I then moved to the speaker portion of my budget.

All that said, the Colosseum is a world-class performer and the most stylish piece of gear I've ever set eyes upon.

Finally, I wouldn't look to compare the Neolith to the Altair - apples and oranges IMHO. The Neolith just struck me as a very interesting looking product.

Thank you...most interesting indeed. You are one of the few who has compared both.

By the way, I forgot to answer you about the Zanden 2500S...I have never had the chance to hear it. I have spent time with a few different Zanden 2000P/5000S series (Hong Kong, UK and Amsterdam)...but never heard the 2500S. I think they are different presentations though 'of the same family'...however, given that you are coming from Stahl-Tek, I would strongly say the 4-box, since its reputation is being far clearer, more delineated and detailed while also having an overall more solid presentation.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Ack - so what do you think of the ML Neoliths? They look great - hope to hear them some day...
Interesting to see them with Simaudio gear at Munich - I wonder how that worked out. I seem to recall some years back, a number of people liked running Electrocompaniet on ML speakers.
Never mind, my heart is set on spending some time with Spectral !

Not sure what I think of the Neoliths yet. I certainly don't care for ported bass designs of any kind, so this was kinda of a let-down, especially since I can't recall of any other ML with a ported woofer. I also know they are not for my room - too big and too bass-heavy, based on woofer sizes. One of the big problems I have identified with MLs over the years is getting a "controlled" soundstage out of them, if you know what I mean, and only very good amplification has been able to ameliorate this; they do sound quite different than dynamic designs, and I just don't know how the Neolith will fare in this respect. On the other hand, a lot of ML owners would tell you they feel they have musicians in their rooms, and certainly the video I posted was testament to that. Overall, it can't be a bad design, and the unanswered question is how good is it really... I had plenty of opportunity to listen to the Statement e2 and never did, so I'll leave it at that.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Thank you...most interesting indeed. You are one of the few who has compared both.

By the way, I forgot to answer you about the Zanden 2500S...I have never had the chance to hear it. I have spent time with a few different Zanden 2000P/5000S series (Hong Kong, UK and Amsterdam)...but never heard the 2500S. I think they are different presentations though 'of the same family'...however, given that you are coming from Stahl-Tek, I would strongly say the 4-box, since its reputation is being far clearer, more delineated and detailed while also having an overall more solid presentation.

LL21 - I see you're the "Gryphon leader" on WBF, I'm surprised that you haven't put up a Gryphon page under the manufacturers yet;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not quite in the same league as the bigger models, but I like my Spectral rig with the Miras. View attachment 16598

Your rig is no slouch...big fan of Rockports here. I have heard 3 of their speakers and always found full range magic. Congrats.

marba_hr

Aug 22, 2013
www.sonetimage.eu
Avalon Isis :)

1619561_10154757641235483_4830411978667700144_n.jpg

Maz65

Sep 26, 2014
Italy
Hello everyone,

I've been reading through the Spectral conversations with interest. Sounds like a great product line. I'm curious to know what speakers people are using with Spectral? I've seen Avalon at Goodwin's and Magico somewhere-although I can't remember where.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Great sinergy with Sonus Faber speakers too, as Spectral was part of the Franco Serblin's (r.i.p.) setup.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I saw them with Magico Q-7's. that's what you should go for.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
I have used Spectral in the past with YG Carmels, and am now using with Magico S5s. Excellent sound, but remember, you really must use Spectral approved MIT cables- see previous threads regarding such. BTW, a lot of used 360 and 260 amps seem to be coming on the market due to the latest updated 260 , 300 and 400 amps.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
What I liked best about the Spectrals was their speed and dynamic capability - that is what makes music come "alive" and was characteristic with all of the Spectral systems I've listened to no matter the brand of loudspeaker. Here - paired with Genesis ribbons.

Gp2p2b.JPG

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
I am in the process of puting my Spectral system back together. DMA-260, 30SS Series 2. No cables or Cd player yet.
I have owned Avalon Eidolons, at the time I was using a DMA-250. Prior Speakers were Audiostatics, ES300 and ES500.
In a room 35L X 12.5W X 8.5T, Tube trap front wall. Do the Magnepan 20.7 require more power then the 260. If so what other Planar options. Or on the box Speaker side, Wilson Sasha's, Etc. Used Speaker Budget is $8, 10k.

arteck

Dec 2, 2014
Just got Magnepan 3.7i. Will try Spectral 360, MSB M202 and Mark Levinson to find out the best match.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Not sure what I think of the Neoliths yet. I certainly don't care for ported bass designs of any kind, so this was kinda of a let-down, especially since I can't recall of any other ML with a ported woofer. I also know they are not for my room - too big and too bass-heavy, based on woofer sizes. One of the big problems I have identified with MLs over the years is getting a "controlled" soundstage out of them, if you know what I mean, and only very good amplification has been able to ameliorate this; they do sound quite different than dynamic designs, and I just don't know how the Neolith will fare in this respect. On the other hand, a lot of ML owners would tell you they feel they have musicians in their rooms, and certainly the video I posted was testament to that. Overall, it can't be a bad design, and the unanswered question is how good is it really... I had plenty of opportunity to listen to the Statement e2 and never did, so I'll leave it at that.

I use a Spectral DMA 260 with Martin Logan Montis, supplemented with a pair of JL 113's and have the best sound stage I have ever had. The sound combination is wonderful, although I use a tube preamp BAT VK 32 SE, which I like better than a pure Spectral system. I do have one problem in that the impedance dip to .52 ohms at 20K in the Montis is problem with heavy brass sections at high outputs because the protection system is triggered.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi arteck,
May I request you to describe the sound of the Magnepan 3.7i driven by the Spectral 360?
Thanks.

arteck

Dec 2, 2014
Hi arteck,
May I request you to describe the sound of the Magnepan 3.7i driven by the Spectral 360?
Thanks.

I've tried the 360s with a newly opened pair 3.7i. I don't think the bass has been controlled well, not deep, body not solid, no enough resolution. But the hi and mid are quite good. So maybe the 360s cannot give enough transient current, which 3.7i demands heavily.
Just my own point.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
For the smaller Spectral amps such as the DMA 100, DMA 50, and DMA 100S, the Quad 57 and Crosby Quad 63 are excellent matches.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing