Speakers for Pass Labs Electronics ?

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
Dear Axel,

Are you using a pre-amp between the Terminator Plus and the First Watt SIT3? Didn't see one.
Have an Audio Research GSi75, but am tempted to buy a Pass Labs or First Watt. Listen to mostly vocals, jazz, blues and some R&B. Grew up in the 60s and 70s so on occasion go back to rock from the period. Sounds like you recommend the XA25 as the compromise. But which do you prefer for piano, organ and vocals?
I also have a First Watt J2. Its true power is somewhere in between the SIT3 & XA25, as does its general sound character (to me). Warmer and less powerful than the XA25, but lacking a little bit of the magic of the SIT. Herb Reichert’s Stereophile reviews of all three can be found online and I think are excellent. All of the First Watt and lower powered Pass Class-A amps while different are quite special. And they are great bargains, especially if you don’t need big power. The X350.8 is ~4x the price of the FW products yet at lower volume levels is simply not in their class. In these situations, power is really overrated!

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
I am using Piega C8ltds with a Xa25 Hegel p30 preamp jays audio CD3 mk3 transport with pacific dac

JLaudio f112 v2 sub. the clarity & imaging is excellent
Piega speakers are overlooked if you can audition them highly recommended
I have a Hegel H20 amp sitting since I put the XA25 amp in the system and one day will insert it back in the system but
the Xa25 gives me no reason to.

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
I’ve since replaced the Wilson Audio Watt Puppy 7 (WP7) with their Alexia 2, and the Pass Labs XP22 Pre changed to a XP32 and again to a XS Pre.

With approximately a doubling of internal cabinet volume, newer drivers, and ~10 years of development know-how, it’s no surprise that the Alexia provides a larger soundstage and better articulated micro details than the WP7. In short, if you like the Wilson WP, you’ll love the Alexia 2. It’s not a radical change but simply better in every way (except in the effort to move and set them up!).

For the Preamp, the move from the XP22 to XP32 was not small. I was surprised by how much more info seems to get through punctuated by much better detail. It’s hard to describe but hearing is believing. I was very satisfied with the 32 but when an opportunity came to get a nearly new XS Pre curiosity got the better of me. Upon receipt, I played a half dozen familiar tracks on the 32 before swapping to the XS. Just before listening I remember thinking I’ll just resell it if I cannot hear much difference! But within the first track i was left stunned by how lush the same tracks played. The edges to every note seemed softer and the quiet between more pronounced. While the 32 is extraordinary, the XS lives up to its flagship status and is a clear step beyond. It also has the largest volume knob I’ve ever seen!

Lastly, I’ve since swapped all of my Audioquest interconnects / power cords and Transparent speaker cables for Nordost Tyr 2. While I know this is a rabbit hole and I won’t argue that it’s worth it, I’m also not going back. I think it’s quite true that with the right system synergies everything contributes to the performance. It’s up to the listener to decide their priorities.

I did all of my comparisons between speakers and pre amps before and after the cable swap, so all of the above opinions account for that.

Just wanted to share my experience as I appreciate so many I read from other members.

Reactions: RickS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing