Special Ops: Lioness | Official Trailer | Paramount+

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have to preface my review by an opening statement that I am a huge Taylor Sheridan fan. I have watched every series he has written and directed and they remain as some of my very favorite TV series. Yellowstone converted me, 1883 was probably the Best miniseries Ive ever seen and 1923 season one was superb. Mayor of Kingstown also superb, Tulsa King superb.!1966 is apparently going to star Matthew McConaughey. Whether the final few episodes ever come to fruition remains a mystery. I understand there are issue doing season 2 of 1923.

So along comes Taylor Sheridan with season one of his next series Special Ops: Lioness. Season 1 finished this evening after episode 8. There is talk already that a season 2 was being considered. My wife and I watched the entire season and what a dud. In the great scheme of things on a scale of 1-5, this was a very strong 2 :oops:. Nicole Kidman who, as always, was an executive producer of the show was a dud and overplayed her role. Zoe Saldane also an Executive producer was so-so

This is streaming through Paramount plus but if you have Apple+ TV you can subscribe that way

They say that Lioness can have new stories and new seasons depending on how the Yellowstone series all go.

Reactions: KeithR

Steve Williams

I purposely waited to watch then entire season to hope that there would be something redeeming about this series. It does have its moments but too few and too far in between

This show does have potential. I just thought this season undershot its mark

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I watched week by week but fully agree with your take , in the end it left me somewhat wanting

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We enjoyed Lioness. It did have some shortcomings and I found it a bit humorous how the Zoe Saldana/Dave Annable relationship is a mirror image of the John Krasinski/Abbie Cornish relationship in Jack Ryan. One's CIA married to a Doctor.

I thought Lioness brought up some interesting points in geo-politics regarding who's pulling strings and for what purpose. I also thought the final episode was handled pretty good. I don't think anyone was really coming out of that emotionally unscathed.

I wonder how Taylor Sheridan comes up with these interesting series. As much as I have enjoyed Yellowstone it might be the weakest of all when compared to Mayor of Kingston, 1883, 1923, Tulsa King and Lioness. We are currently rewatching 1883 and now I remember why I think this was his best effort. "If" season 2 of 1923 pulls all the storylines together that might move to the top spot.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Movies are not my field at all, but I thought the acting performances in the trailer were unconvincing. Nicole Kidman seemed bored.

If the trailer is un-engaging I don't think that bodes well for the show.

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Nicole Kidman was just plain terrible in this role. She needed to get (fill in the blanks).

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

We enjoyed Lioness. It did have some shortcomings and I found it a bit humorous how the Zoe Saldana/Dave Annable relationship is a mirror image of the John Krasinski/Abbie Cornish relationship in Jack Ryan. One's CIA married to a Doctor.

I thought Lioness brought up some interesting points in geo-politics regarding who's pulling strings and for what purpose. I also thought the final episode was handled pretty good. I don't think anyone was really coming out of that emotionally unscathed.

I wonder how Taylor Sheridan comes up with these interesting series. As much as I have enjoyed Yellowstone it might be the weakest of all when compared to Mayor of Kingston, 1883, 1923, Tulsa King and Lioness. We are currently rewatching 1883 and now I remember why I think this was his best effort. "If" season 2 of 1923 pulls all the storylines together that might move to the top spot.
Jim. You and I usually agree. However the only thing with which I agree is your last paragraph. 1883 was for me the best miniseries I’ve ever seen and 1923 as you say could easily top that. Having said that, for me it was the weakest and worst miniseries of his and . it fell way short of expectations. I said Nicole was a bust as did willgolf. I thought the only decent actor in the entire series was Stephanie Nur Buddenbrook.Having said that if there is a season 2 I would bet Sheridan would find a story to turn the series around

Reactions: Willgolf

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I'd offer up two Max series The Night Of (2016) starring Riz Ahmed & Michael Kenneth Williams; and The Undoing (2020) starring Nicole Kidman & Hugh Grant as the best mini series.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I thought Lioness started very slowly with a lot of character development and not much to grab the viewers. I liked the last two episodes and think that this could get a lot better in the future. The show , like Mayor of Kingstown is very dark , and this seems to be a TS trait.
I loved 1883 and it was IMO his best work, just a great series without the soap opera feel of Yellowstone.
I also loved Tulsa King and its very disappointing to have to wait another year for the new season.
I agree that Nicole Kidman was not believeable and her relationship with her husband left a lot to be desired and explained. I love Zoe so maybe that is why I liked the show more than most but I think it could be a winner next season if there is one. I love these type of shows like Homeland and Fauda.
Interesting that some of these are a good prediction of the worlkds future.

Reactions: still-one

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing