Spectral paired with ATC Speakers

commonone69

Dec 7, 2011
Hello. I quite enjoy these posts and must say that I have learned alot. I'm a new Spectral 15 and 200s owner.They are being used with Proac studio 140s for the moment. These speakers sound great with my ARC Tube gear but a little veiled with Spectral.I've been wondering about ATC and if it would match well. I've seen and heard both Wilson and Avalon but only really liked the bigger models. I don't have that much space.14-21 sq. ft. living room opening up into a kitchen. Sachas and Indra,etc. would visually overpower the room.
any ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hello. I quite enjoy these posts and must say that I have learned alot. I'm a new Spectral 15 and 200s owner.They are being used with Proac studio 140s for the moment. These speakers sound great with my ARC Tube gear but a little veiled with Spectral.I've been wondering about ATC and if it would match well. I've seen and heard both Wilson and Avalon but only really liked the bigger models. I don't have that much space.14-21 sq. ft. living room opening up into a kitchen. Sachas and Indra,etc. would visually overpower the room.
any ideas/insights would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help with your synergy issues, but was wondering if your handle is a reference to the underrated, but incredible Van Morrison album?

Tim

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think ATC is one of the most underrated speaker manufacturers out there, and transparency is a hallmark of their designs. They are anything but veiled.

They are one of the few manufacturers that makes their own drivers and builds everything in house. I've owned the active 20-2s for many years and am very happy with them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was referring to the Proac speakers being veiled with the Spectral Gear

I still find that suprising. If your Spectral gear is functioning correctly, I don't see how it would sound "veiled" with any speaker.

graystoke4

Apr 28, 2011
uk nottingham
go ATC Active you will never look back ....but beware warts an all ..can you take it many swear by ATC same again want to hold on to their music ,,..try before buy a must ..a mate has 200's active unbelievable .. ..after 4 to 5 hours you are worn out ..get them crooked vultures on you want look back..i'm playing that know on spectral 06;00am England

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I was referring to the Proac speakers being veiled with the Spectral Gear

Understood -- what I meant was you will not find veiling with the ATCs.

but beware warts an all

It's a symptom of fidelity to the source and transparency.

rx7audio

Feb 22, 2012
I'm a new Spectral 15 and 200s owner. ... I've been wondering about ATC and if it would match well.

Hi commonone69 and all,

I'm new to What'sBest, having just this week learned of it from a post in AudiogoN. This is my first post.

I had the chance to spend some extended time listening first to ATC SCM11's, and then to SCM19's through my modest Spectral system (CAL Ikon Mk II HDCD/Boss + DMC12 + MI350 UL Series I + DMA90 + MH770 UL Series II) a few months back. (Photos below are from these listening sessions.) I thoroughly enjoyed the sound of live recordings of small scale acoustic/classic jazz + vocalist(s) played through both models in not-so-large rooms.

The SCM-11's left me wishing for an additional lower octave, however. The SCM19's, though, were extremely satisfying. In fact, I loved the sound of my system + SCM-19's so much that I began budgeting for a pair. And then, after a bit more research through which I learned that ATC's all have a similar sound, I decided to budget instead for a pair of SCM-20's with the long-range plan of eventually replacing my DMA90 with a more powerful Spectral amp.

Then the recession arrived, which has delayed my purchase.

One thing: These SCM's want to be played loud and sound best (to my ears) at these higher SPL's. (I did not find them compelling when played quietly; they sounded "stifled" when played quietly.) This presents a bit of a concern, as I often listen to my music during the late evenings when my young children are sleeping.

FWIW,

rx7audio

View attachment 3005

WarmingUpDemoATCS&#.jpg

Last edited:

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thinking back after posts 1 and 4 caught my attention, my first Spectral system consisted of the Ken Chan modified Clearaudio cartridge, E.T. 2 tonearm, Oracle Delphi turntable, Spectral DMC 10 preamp, Spectral DMA 50 power amp, ProAc Tablette, Entec subwoofers, and all MIT cables. I do not have any recollections of this system ever sounding even a bit veiled. I think it's time to trouble shoot the equipment chain, or the speaker position or the room.

rx7audio

Feb 22, 2012
I've used those same speaker stands in the past!

Which ones, Lee? The chairs? Or the SolidSteel's padded with diapers? Humor aside, the plan was to wait until I had actually purchased a pair of speakers before purchasing stands of optimum height. But then a pair of demos went on sale at MusicDirect, so I snatched 'em up. So, glad I did, too: I filled them with sand, which made quite a difference--quite an improvement--during my SCM auditions. They're a bit short for me for either of these ATC models when I'm listening in my favorite chair, though.

rx7audio

TMenacker

Feb 11, 2012
You should contact your Spectral dealer. If you said it was veiled w/ tubes, I could understand that. Something doesn't make sense.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing