Spectral

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Has there been any further mention in Spectre circles of the much talked of DAC?
None of which I am aware. The DAC and Phono pre have been rumored for years, with no real evidence of an impending product introduction. If I had to bet, I would put money on the Phono pre being more likely, if only because the Spectral system based approach would have them reaching back in the chain through renderer and into the server to be able to control all parameters, which is a much larger undertaking. But I am speculating.

Reactions: Mdp632

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
None of which I am aware. The DAC and Phono pre have been rumored for years, with no real evidence of an impending product introduction. If I had to bet, I would put money on the Phono pre being more likely, if only because the Spectral system based approach would have them reaching back in the chain through renderer and into the server to be able to control all parameters, which is a much larger undertaking. But I am speculating.

I have to agree. Again IMHO; these are two most wanted products for Spectral owners and probably dealers.

I think the "SV" technology is what will the foundation of these future products. Now that Spectral has implemented a full update to their pre-amps and the SV amps are very special indeed.

@Whbgarrett I think you are correct in that the phono stage will be first if any of them see the light of day. Simply, as you have stated and know Spectral is too much of perfectionist company IMHO to release a DAC with network streaming in which the distortion from a user's network will induce jitter thus reduce the performance of their DAC. They would have to control the whole chain.

Although Spectral did have a DAC many years ago but, pre dated computer file playback.

That's why the purest physical media format (CD and hopefully soon LP) is ideal for them.

I asked a Spectral dealer once why not just take the amazing Berk Ref 2 MQA DAC (at that time was the latest) and just remove the digital volume controls, add the SV output stage and call it day?

But, that's not the Spectral way :) I was told.

Perhaps I'll go to NYC for the event and see if I can ask some questions to Rick Fryer but, who knows.

@TMenacker has commented on this forum before. He was at Overture when they were Spectral dealers.

Perhaps he will see this post and chime in.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing