Stereophile / Sirinious: Gryphon "Emotionally" Obliterates D'Agostino Amps

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fremer preferred the Moon monoblocs to the Darts when he tested then last year i think it was ...

No, he didn't.

From the review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/moon-simaudio-888-monoblock-power-amplifier-page-2

"Given a choice between the Moon by Simaudio 888, the Boulder 2150, and the very different-sounding Ypsilon Hyperion, which would I choose? That's my business. Which you'd choose is yours. I'm sticking with the darTZeel NHB-458s."

And that's *458*, not the *468* he has now.
Interested to read what he had to say about the 2150 and the Moon, I went to the link. Across several paragraphs Fremer does say over and over again that the Moon outperformed his Dartzeels (though he also states that this at least in part due to the fact that one of the speakers was much harder to drive which he seemd to suggest put the 888 at an advantage).

Here are several quotes:

"...For whatever reason(s), the darTZeels weren't able to effectively control or grip the [EgglestonWorks] Vigintis' woofers...The Moon 888s' grip on the Vigintis' woofers produced a seismic shift in the speakers' sound... I'd been about to write that the EgglestonWorks had somewhat sloppy, underdamped bass. Now, with what was clearly the right amplification, they were producing a far more enjoyable and reasonably well-controlled visceral wallop."

"...the Moon 888s delivered a pristine rendering, preserving and detailing all of the recording's crystalline threads without smear or glaze....When I reinserted the darTZeel monoblocks in my system, I could still hear these differences, but not as dramatically."

"Compared to my reference darTZeels, which do a damn good job of it, too, the Moon 888s produced "blacker" backgrounds and more air, without in any way sacrificing the rich sheen of Riddle's massed strings."

"...with the best recordings, regardless of genre or whether it was on LP, CD, or hi-rez file, the Moon 888s produced the highest level of sound quality in my system [which normally is driven by the 458s which he owns/uses as his reference], passing along warmth or chills, transparency or sludge, grain or greatness, as dictated not by the electronics but by the recording itself.

But he does say in the end, "...Given a choice between the Moon by Simaudio 888, the Boulder 2150, and the very different-sounding Ypsilon Hyperion, which would I choose? That's my business. Which you'd choose is yours. I'm sticking with the darTZeel NHB-458s. They're not perfect, nor are any of the three mentioned above, including the Moon by Simaudio 888—to some degree, they all "sound." But based on what I've heard, clearing out Simaudio's skunkworks closet has paid off."

Reactions: Down Under and tima

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
LL21,

He doesn't own those EgglestonWorks speakers. He owns Wilsons. And the proof is in the pudding. He could've gotten the Moons, but opted to upgrade his 458s to 468s instead.

I don't know anybody who prefers a product against the other (OVERALL, not in one or two specific items), and yet buys the other, not the one he clearly preferred.

I remember that he also enjoyed the SF Aida II a lot, making similar comments against his Wilson (SF being better in specific characteristics). Yet he still owns the Alexx.

One of the reasons I like Fremer is that he doesn't change his reference gear every other month. Kudos to him, as that's probably mighty hard, given how much good gear passes through his room.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
LL21,

He doesn't own those EgglestonWorks speakers. He owns Wilsons. And the proof is in the pudding. He could've gotten the Moons, but opted to upgrade his 458s to 468s instead.

I don't know anybody who prefers a product against the other (OVERALL, not in one or two specific items), and yet buys the other, not the one he clearly preferred.

I remember that he also enjoyed the SF Aida II a lot, making similar comments against his Wilson (SF being better in specific characteristics). Yet he still owns the Alexx.

One of the reasons I like Fremer is that he doesn't change his reference gear every other month. Kudos to him, as that's probably mighty hard, given how much good gear passes through his room.
Upgrading your current gear is probably much cheaper than changing brands as you basically keep the same amp and just send it back for a tweak. There isn't that hit you get when you sell used.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The only person that pays full MSRP in this hobby is Ron.
In the region of Denmark where Ron bought his Pendragons the right to haggle is written into the constitution, they are as far as i know the only retailers in Denmark and had no representation in the US at the time. I hope he did not pay full retail !:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
In the region of Denmark where Ron bought his Pendragons the right to haggle is written into the constitution, they are as far as i know the only retailers in Denmark and had no representation in the US at the time. I hope he did not pay full retail !:eek:
As they say in the United States: "They saw him coming a mile (or kilometer) away."

Reactions: tima and Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing