streaming Quboz digital, outstanding soundstaging, large scale live recording

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
looked around for a thread to post this in and none seemed to fit, so figured i should start one. the last couple of days my digital has somehow taken a big positive leap in realism, separation in the soundstage, and vividness. nothing to cause it, so i'm a bit mystified as to why. 30 days ago i upgraded my SFP modules to the Finisar which was a surprising uptick, and the Sonore Optical Switch is just now shipping to me, but not yet arrived. then there is Emile's new switch he is designing. but that is still not hatched. so what gives? maybe something in the background? my ISP or network got improved? or Quboz got a boost? or Emile snuck in and tweaked something?

sometimes i comment that digital does not do what this recording is really nailing, so i felt i should give credit where credit is due.

i am now listening to a fantastic streaming recording on Quboz and the microdynamics and soundstaging are stunning. it's Bill Laurance & WDR Big Band, Live at the Philharmonie, Cologne. the resolution is 48khz, 24 bit (regular 16/44 on Tidal). modern jazz 'fusion' big band style......not to everyone's taste for sure, but on my system it is alive and really flowing and i'm sucked into it. i'm impressed by the precision and life in the soundstage, and the way each of the many musical components are so full of energy and not congealed or compromised. i would not call it 'liquid' texturally, but it's natural, with rich tonality and not dry or bleached........even when it gets full throttle......and it has some great bass and a sense of venue.

this is great, live music, really well recorded. there is an Lp version which i did order. wonder if the Lp will be as good? got to be a digital recording.

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Laurance-WDR-Big-Band-Köln-Live-At-The-Philharmonie-Cologne/release/14495770

1595116498566.png

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I'd put it down to physically hearing better. Then check if Qobuz/Emile recently pushed an update or some other silent operation was performed. A lot of people have been working very hard in the background that may be paying dividends.

Some days you feel lousy with no loss of ability, some days you feel great and ability is even better yet.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
this is wonderful! thanks for the recommendation.

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
I like periodically perusing the new releases categories on Qobuz and tripped over this 2020 Remaster of The Dead's classic "Workingman's Dead". Now I'm far from being a huge Dead fan, as I listen predominantly to jazz but the sonics are fantastic on this and I forgot how truly good the songs are as well on this album.

Varadero xl 1000 v

Nov 18, 2017
Very nice thread! We will "discover" many nice Albums in superior then 16 / 44.1. I am a subscriber to Spotify, Tidal, Jazz radio, and recently to qobuz. In my opinion it is the best!

DeadWax

Apr 11, 2020
Another recent find on Qobuz that I can't stop listening to. Daniel Carter has certainly paid his dues for many decades on the NYC jazz scene and I really like this effort. This is free jazz, creative - but with enough foundation to still make it reasonably accessible to many listeners (I think?). Looking forward to Volume 2!

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
looked around for a thread to post this in and none seemed to fit, so figured i should start one. the last couple of days my digital has somehow taken a big positive leap in realism, separation in the soundstage, and vividness. nothing to cause it, so i'm a bit mystified as to why. 30 days ago i upgraded my SFP modules to the Finisar which was a surprising uptick, and the Sonore Optical Switch is just now shipping to me, but not yet arrived. then there is Emile's new switch he is designing. but that is still not hatched. so what gives? maybe something in the background? my ISP or network got improved? or Quboz got a boost? or Emile snuck in and tweaked something?

sometimes i comment that digital does not do what this recording is really nailing, so i felt i should give credit where credit is due.

i am now listening to a fantastic streaming recording on Quboz and the microdynamics and soundstaging are stunning. it's Bill Laurance & WDR Big Band, Live at the Philharmonie, Cologne. the resolution is 48khz, 24 bit (regular 16/44 on Tidal). modern jazz 'fusion' big band style......not to everyone's taste for sure, but on my system it is alive and really flowing and i'm sucked into it. i'm impressed by the precision and life in the soundstage, and the way each of the many musical components are so full of energy and not congealed or compromised. i would not call it 'liquid' texturally, but it's natural, with rich tonality and not dry or bleached........even when it gets full throttle......and it has some great bass and a sense of venue.

this is great, live music, really well recorded. there is an Lp version which i did order. wonder if the Lp will be as good? got to be a digital recording.

https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Laurance-WDR-Big-Band-Köln-Live-At-The-Philharmonie-Cologne/release/14495770

View attachment 67414

Sounded uncommonly vibrant on Mezzo’s as well, with real thump on the bottom end. If you like Laurance I’m sure you’ve found his Live at Ronnie Scott’s, also 24/48 on Qobuz.
Parker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing