Superiority Of Electric Recording Company Releases

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was not generalizing, I was just stating some info that was provided that I was not aware of.

Anyway, it's an interesting data point, obviously we don't have enough data (who has?) to know how each recording was originally pressed (or issued for that matter - see MFSL story).
We only have our ears, current available inventory and our wallet.

Not you I meant Kevin Gray.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have the following ERC albums:
- Coltrane Giant Steps
- Mal Waldron
- Elmo Hope Sextet

All 3 had issues originally - too much noise. ERC customer service is great and replaced them without question. The replacement copies were excellent.

I think the variability in their albums is something they need to work on, and maybe they have improved since Coltrane was released. The first copies were actually pretty good - I wonder how many customers have slightly imperfect copies and assume it’s the way it’s supposed to sound??

I am now looking at their Mozart Piano Concertos, which is insanely expensive (although the same price per album as any of their albums), but I was not able to find ANY albums with these artists on vinyl on Discogs. And for sure it will sell out.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I do not think think there is any superiority to the sound quality of ERC. What is superior is their presentation, unique albums (in some cases), and the all tube all mono (in some cases) cutting process. This could very well be worth their price (to you); but I wouldn’t expect the “best” sound quality. Sound quality is very good; but the goal of ERC is not to surpass every other recording in terms of SQ.
The company also has excellent customer service. They will reply quickly and offer a no questions asked refund or replacement. This is not the case with most other labels.

My messages to Abey Fonn at Impex, for example, went unanswered when I had an issue with one of their albums (and this was after we did communicate - when I commended her on her business, she replied! When I asked for a replacement disc, she didn’t :mad:)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Despite my best judgement, I just got more albums from ERC. I wish they would use a different stamping plant, as the quality control is terrible. Issues:
- spindle hole off center, often by more than I’ve seen with other albums (using DS Audio ES-001)
- mono signal not centered between speakers (and it’s not my system!)
- more noise than I would like (but this could just be from the master tapes)

I do want to be supportive of ERC as they have always been great to me: very responsive and replaced albums without question. But I’m now batting 0% for receiving a quality pressing the first time (experience with about 6 albums), and I’m not super picky. That’s not acceptable, especially at their pricing.

I also think this is why some claim their albums don’t sound that great, while others disagree. It’s because the QC is so variable! I’m sure both camps are right.

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
- more noise than I would like (but this could just be from the master tapes)
It’s because the QC is so variable!

I have no personal experience, but a friend who has bought several was a bit disappointed with record surface noise.

Reactions: mtemur

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I have several ERC titles and had issues with a couple which we quickly replaced. I think they sound excellent but I agree they aren’t necessarily THE version to get.

The secondary market for these titles is shameful. I have no issue paying above retail for limited release music but people asking $1000+ for these titles are just flat out greedy. I hope their copies never get sold. (/rant)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have several ERC titles and had issues with a couple which we quickly replaced. I think they sound excellent but I agree they aren’t necessarily THE version to get.

The secondary market for these titles is shameful. I have no issue paying above retail for limited release music but people asking $1000+ for these titles are just flat out greedy. I hope their copies never get sold. (/rant)
Yeah, I agree. Supersense as well. I wonder if anyone actually buys at the asking prices?
I offered 20% above list price for a Supersense album that I own but damaged, and no deal.

Reactions: dminches

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yeah, I agree. Supersense as well. I wonder if anyone actually buys at the asking prices?
I offered 20% above list price for a Supersense album that I own but damaged, and no deal.

The Discogs sales data doesn’t seem to indicate sale prices as high as asking prices but they are still pretty high.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Same is also true for ERC in the first place. £300 to 400 is ridiculously expensive. Nothing they (ERC or promoting reviewers) ever said or anybody here can say justify this ridiculous price considering poor SQ of ERC jazz releases. Yes, I said low sound quality against common advertisement. Any jazz title from AP or OJC sounds significantly better than ERC counterpart.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
same is also true for ERC in the first place. £300 to 400 is ridiculously expensive. Nothing they (ERC or promoting reviewers) ever said or anybody here can say justify this ridiculous price considering poor SQ on jazz titles. Yes, I said low sound quality against common advertisement.
I don’t disagree.. I would just add that if the recording is unique or rare, the price *can* be justified.
And sound quality *can* be great, if you have a great pressing. ERC will replace and exchange no questions asked, or even fully refund after you’ve played the album. They are very good at that.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have one ERC title; it is good....a little noise. it's not on any higher level than other good pressings. but not interested in the pricing model for more of these. i think ERC is a positive factor in seeing other high level all analog efforts from early iconic performances such as the DG Original Source. so overall we need more of this type efforts at it creates more energy for new all analog vinyl over all. there are plenty of great golden age performances on tape to keep things going for a long time.

i'll cheer on ERC buyers from the sidelines. go get e'm.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i have one ERC title; it is good....a little noise. it's not on any higher level than other good pressings. but not interested in the pricing model for more of these. i think ERC is a positive factor in seeing other high level all analog efforts from early iconic performances such as the DG Original Source. so overall we need more of this type efforts at it creates more energy for new all analog vinyl over all. there are plenty of great golden age performances on tape to keep things going for a long time.

i'll cheer on ERC buyers from the sidelines. go get u'm.

the Magda Tagliaferro piano that you have was their best I heard in all their LPs till just before pandemic. I haven’t heard later releases. The others were nowhere as good, the Kogan Tchaikovsky concerto sounded good in their system but I haven’t heard it elsewhere though I bought it

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Same is also true for ERC in the first place. £300 to 400 is ridiculously expensive. Nothing they (ERC or promoting reviewers) ever said or anybody here can say justify this ridiculous price considering poor SQ of ERC jazz releases. Yes, I said low sound quality against common advertisement. Any jazz title from AP or OJC sounds significantly better than ERC counterpart.

I don't agree that their sound quality is universally inferior. I think the Monk's Music is excellent as is the mono Saxophone Colossus. For rock, I also feel that the self-titled Crosby, Stills & Nash is the best pressing I have.

I do agree that the price is way too high.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing