SUT and/or phono stage for My Sonic Lab Signature Gold cartridge

ctlmdphd

Nov 5, 2023
Salt Lake City, UT
I just bought a MSL Signature Gold cartridge and need a new phono pre with or without a SUT. It seems a MSL SUT 1030 would be the logical choice. I don't have a voltage-based/MM phono stage. What would you recommend?

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Internal impedance 1.4?, Do you have a current based one? Doesn’t look a bad match.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Not a Perfect Match then, unless it performs better in a system context. Beyond me I’m afraid.

I like my Naim superline a lot with the top ps option but I’ve just had a lesson in just how sensitive it is to loading resistor, something you dodge entirely with a current stage. No idea how it would work in a different system context either.

Here in France Ana Mighty Sound handle MSL, I heard a few models at their show room when I took my Proteus in for a rebuild. My focus was mainly on the decks, I think they were using Phasemation, Consolidated SUTs and briefly Sculpture A with Phasemation and an internal Dartzeel phono stages but I wasn’t paying that much attention beyond the arm leads.

ctlmdphd

Nov 5, 2023
Salt Lake City, UT
Got in touch with Einstein, and they confirmed the cartridge produces too high of a current (voltage/resistance), and they have a fix for it. So, I'm sending it in for a modification.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing