System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
No; two feet maximum.
My using few was not meant to indicate that he was comfortable in placing them just anywhere. The takeaway is that the speakers he chooses must be comfortable very close to or against a wall.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
True we have offered lots of ideas of what we think might fit in to a system at this price range but until we get an idea of what Ron's friend has for space it's all idle speculation.
My thoughts. Buy from online companies that offer a 60 day audition / money back guarantee. Music Direct is one. There are others. The benefits are obvious. The dude can actually hear the stuff before he buys. What a concept. All the rest, although well intentioned, is pure subjective speculation.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
this is not about what we would like. It’s about what he would like.
Exactly and the practicality of assembling this system (unlike WBF folks) should be relatively straight forward, user friendly and easy to maintain.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Musical Fidelity re-released their A1 integrated last year and they’ve upgraded the trafo and volume control.

I had an MF A1 back in the late 80’s in a setup and it was a bit of a good thing… it’s 25 watts of fairly visceral class A might be a musical match worth considering for the Living Voice R25A… for an entry level integrated ($1780 current rrp) it’s heart was always musically in the right place and class A heat penalty aside you can always use the top as a Tepenyaki cook plate while listening as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Musical Fidelity re-released their A1 integrated last year and they’ve upgraded the trafo and volume control.

I had an MF A1 back in the late 80’s in a setup and it was a bit of a good thing… it’s 25 watts of fairly visceral class A might be a musical match worth considering for the Living Voice R25A… for an entry level integrated it’s heart was always musically in the right place and class A heat penalty aside you can always use the top as a Tepenyaki cook plate while listening as well.
Yes, good shout. I've demoed the new one and it's quite a bit better than the old one as I remember it. Didn't hear it with a turntable though but it drove LS35A's nicely. Still think a high-end valve pre with his existing power amp/speakers will give best sound though.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
List of Low power SS amplifiers at low price:
Sugden A21 $3250
Firstwatt SIT-4 $5000
Neodio TMA €4590

DLS

Jan 12, 2013
New York
Thank you, no digital or streamer is wanted by my friend
I've been following this thread closely. As somone who "down-sized" over the past year (though with a somewhat larger budget), this is a compelling topic, though I am somewhat surprised as the outlandish (IMHO) components sometimes suggested here. As I understand it, your friend wants to replace his/her system, has a firm budget of $10,000 for new equipment, wants primary source to be vinyl, doesn't want used or tubes, and doesn't want to have to fiddle with the damn thing every time he/she wants to listen to music, and, oh, the speakers must be close to the wall. Given all that, I pretty much stand by my original recommendations, though without the need for CD/SACD source support, I'd recommend moving up the Technics line to an SL1200G (S or R) with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, Marantz 40n integrated (it does include streaming should that ever become of interest), KLH Model 5 speakers (includes stands and can be located within 2' of rear wall). At his level, there is no getting around needing the cartridge to be properly set up. The pricing comes in at just under $10,000 for everything. Your friend can scavenge wire from existing system. This is a no-fuss, simple system. Turn it on, put on a record, enjoy the music. Smiles will ensue.

Reactions: AudioHR

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Back in post #18 I suggested the McIntosh integrated Turntable with a pair of stand mounted SF speakers … a system that retails for $9998.

I was at my local McIntosh dealer today (this is Nashville), and the president/owner of one of the major local show sound cooordinator companies was working with my salesman/long time friend.

Every room and office in his Music Row company is set up for first class audio.

He recently bought a mountain retreat, and he did not want a huge, finicky system. After audition, he bought the MTI100 and a pair of $12k bookshelf speakers. So his nominal budget was $20k.

Don’t dismiss the MTI100 without at least giving it a listen. There’s a lot of value there for a guy who does want want audiophile angst.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I concur with much of what you are saying. Although the friend may be adverse to the used market.

I believe that Ron identified that his friend would be OK in moving the speakers a few feet from the wall. This to me is a key piece of information. Lots of other questions to be asked though. Still if you can get the speakers right the other things should fall into place.

This is why it would be key to know if corner horns are an option, and a tube amplifier (one that doesn't toast tubes constantly). We've established used is not ok... which is what it is.

I think corner horns are possible if a cheap enough amp is used (not a bad thing). The hardest part is getting the amp because for example Decware is years out. Although technically a cheap but good amp could be used that is solid state... there are some uber inexpensive ones that WOULD please this particular person who probably isn't half as sensitive as we are about the idea of price points etc.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The speakers are in his living room. The speakers can go either up against the front wall or 2 feet into the room.

He does not want tubes or vintage or used (other than dealer demo components).

Thank you.

Are phono preamps with tubes that last as long as the whole component acceptable?

I have yet to find a solid state phono preamp that is good.

Reactions: Dierkx1

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
So this could be done, to keep speakers pinned against the walls, if there are corners.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
So this could be done, to keep speakers pinned against the walls, if there are corners.

So yes a corner horn type of speaker would work but we don't know if he has corners or if this is the type of speaker he is invisioning. It would seem the fellow feels that tubes are not what he is looking for so that also needs to be taken into consideration .

A smaller stand mount that is descently efficient may be something that could work. I kind of get the impression that the fellow is not looking to make the speakers the statement piece in his room. But who knows, this could be the one?

Reactions: Folsom

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Are phono preamps with tubes that last as long as the whole component acceptable?

I have yet to find a solid state phono preamp that is good.
THe Phasemation one that I picked up recently for $1300 is quite good. No real features but is Class A, all discrete and no feedback. Model is EA220.

Reactions: Folsom

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
About a month ago I sent Marc a list of proposed components, with a couple of alternatives in a couple of categories. I think this group on this thread did a great job whittling down the infinite possibilities to a great stereo components suggestion!

Marc emailed today to report that he faced some unexpected bills, and he had to reduce the total budget to about $4,000. He became concerned about the complexity of putting together a stereo system whose components were sourced by different dealers, with no single dealer taking responsibility for getting the system working.

He visited a brick and mortar Crutchfield store with a singer friend of his who went to Juliard. Crutchfield recommended, and Marc purchased, these components:

Bowers & Wilkins 606 S3

SVS SB-1000 Pro

Dual CS 429

Marantz CD6007

NAD C 368 BluOS-2i

Marc is very happy with the sound of the new system, and he highly recommends Crutchfield!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For car stereo and mid-hi-fi I highly recommend Crutchfield.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing