System for Under US$10,000 MSRP

I really like the Devore speakers. Very often John's standard demo at Munich and other shows is LP playback with jazz. His setups usually have a lifelike presentation that works especially well on jazz music.

I agree! I wish my friend could get demo O/96s for a great price!

Reactions: Lee
I agree! I wish my friend could get demo O/96s for a great price!
the problem then is matching electronics being crucial and it gets into a whole world of audiophilia. At 10k best is to get a matched set up. No pick one component from here, one from there etc unless someone is selling the whole shebang

I really like the Devore speakers. Very often John's standard demo at Munich and other shows is LP playback with jazz. His setups usually have a lifelike presentation that works especially well on jazz music.
I heard them in 2022. It was a very lifelike presentation although I don't remember it being predominantly Jazz. I do remember "Walk on the Wild Side"

the problem then is matching electronics being crucial and it gets into a whole world of audiophilia. At 10k best is to get a matched set up. No pick one component from here, one from there etc unless someone is selling the whole shebang

You are projecting your fussiness. You know O/96 well. O/93 is cheaper but a bit lower in sensitivity.

Would a Luxman integrated be nice with O/93? (Nice, meaning it doesn't have to be Kedar perfect.)

Reactions: Folsom
You are projecting your fussiness. You know O/96 well. O/93 is cheaper but a bit lower in sensitivity.

Would a Luxman integrated be nice with O/93? (Nice, meaning it doesn't have to be Kedar perfect.)
My guess is it would. Not sure on how much exact power is needed.

I tried many amps on O96 (Jadis 100w, Riviera hybrid 50w, Silvercore 833c, Airtight EL34, Mastersound 845, Kondo Overture). The only ones I liked it with were NAF 2a3 and Airtight 30b, the Mastersound 845 was decent. And it sounded good with good records. If someone wanted digital or poor records the set up would differ.

I am not projecting my fussiness. Many systems are set up poorly because people get a good deal on one component and buy it, and don't know what to do with the rest of the chain. Most speakers or carts can then sound awful. It is fine if you are an audiophile, trying to get that chain right and build up over time is part of the fun. For someone not into that part of the hobby, a whole matched set up is required to plug in and play.

Reactions: AudioHR
This merits a close look for Ron's friend imho. $3,700 roughly.

MM phono included.

This merits a close look for Ron's friend imho. $3,700 roughly.

MM phono included.
It might be but personally I've never heard a sub $10K solid state integrated amp that could match a valve pre/solid state pwr combo. Last one I tried was a McIntosh MA8950, good but no cigar.

I will explain to him the state of inexpensive digital versus inexpensive vinyl playback and I will explain the flexibility of streaming.

^to what point?^

he/she said that they wanted a setup for vinyl, and 1/2 the posts brought in the New Testament news of digital.
if they asked for $10k and vinyl, then that is the system that they want.
(why start out with, “you are wrong and you do not want that.”

If I was disciplined I suppose that I could do a spreadsheet.

Back to the person in Manhattan … if they already have speakers, then it is solely a TT and some electronics to get the signals to the speakers.
half, or more, of the newer integrated amps… like the Lyngdorf I mentioned… also have streaming built in. They need the MM section, and the rest comes along… including RoomPerfect EQ.
But there are others, and a spreadsheet could have columns for EQ, Roon, etc…

that should given some insight into then what the person should listen to, or look at.
and they sneak that New Testament digital crap for free.

lastly there are companies that clean records. For the budget mentioned, I would be considering just sending out the existing LPs.

Reactions: Another Johnson
The question I always ask buddies on a budget is if they want the ability to upgrade later. If they don’t care, then active speakers can be a great option. I heard the new Vienna Acoustics ones and they sound stellar. Not sure, but i believe that even have an analogue input as well for TT. Everything else is built in. I think they are right around 10k too

Reactions: Holmz and Lee
It might be but personally I've never heard a sub $10K solid state integrated amp that could match a valve pre/solid state pwr combo. Last one I tried was a McIntosh MA8950, good but no cigar.

How do you get a separates pairing of quality under $5K or so to match the $10K budget with room for speakers and table though?

Not a good choice.
If it is a horizontal RCM you're after, much better off with a Loricraft point nozzle than VPI wand.

Better yet to get an ultrasonic cleaner.

Reactions: tima
How do you get a separates pairing of quality under $5K or so to match the $10K budget with room for speakers and table though?
Yeah it's tough, that's why I suggested the EAR Phonobox ($1800) inc volume control. Compromise is, it only has one input, for the turntable, but it will deliver high end sound so if sound quality is the priority then I'd go with that and pair it with any half decent solid state power amp in the $3-4K range.

Reactions: Folsom and Lee
Ron, growing up in the NYC high-end scene and still connected I really like In Living Stereo in the Village for this assignment. Steve Mishoe has been there forever, knows his analog as well as anyone and has a great selection of modest price gear.

The Heed Elixir integrated is unbeatable at $1295. Add a Rega, Project or a Music hall and a nice entry level phono pre-amp and speakers all professionally set up by ILS and your friend will be grooving. Bottom line - ILS can hit this budget with ease and provide your friend great advice, delivery and set up, as well as after sale service. Highly recommended!

PS Love Rhapsody but Bob V. plays at the deep end of the luxury pool. I'm pretty sure a $10k system is not their sweet spot.

Ron, growing up in the NYC high-end scene and still connected I really like In Living Stereo in the Village for this assignment. Steve Mishoe has been there forever, knows his analog as well as anyone and has a great selection of modest price gear.

The Heed Elixir integrated is unbeatable at $1295. Add a Rega, Project or a Music hall and a nice entry level phono pre-amp and speakers all professionally set up by ILS and your friend will be grooving. Bottom line - ILS can hit this budget with ease and provide your friend great advice, delivery and set up, as well as after sale service. Highly recommended!

Great idea! I will tell my friend!

Better yet to get an ultrasonic cleaner.
How could an ultrasonic cleaner possibly fit in the specified budget?

If it is a horizontal RCM you're after, much better off with a Loricraft

How can that possibly fit in the specified budget? Can I tell him you'll buy it for him?

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing