System Often Make A Large Metal Ding Sound

EDLIU

Jun 30, 2017
My stereo system often makes a "large metal ding sound". I'm not sure if it's the CD player, Amp, or speakers. I'm also not sure what caused it.

Does the stereo system have problems? How do I fix it?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Are you using a compressions drivers? If you use JBL 2235 bass drivers the mass rings can strike the pole piece if overdriven. Just a couple of potential speaker issues.

Would help if you posted what you are using

Rob :)

Ayre AX-7e and CX-7e with Dynaudio Contour S 5.4.

So what should I do now?

My stereo system often makes a "large metal ding sound". I'm not sure if it's the CD player, Amp, or speakers. I'm also not sure what caused it.

Does the stereo system have problems? How do I fix it?

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Is the sound coming from the speakers or is it coming directly from the "system?"

Does it happen mostly during warmup ? My MBL amps give off some serious clonk sound during warmup and cool down, Krell amps did the same. Probably heat sinks moving with temperature changes .

define 'often'. every 20 minutes? every hour? once a session? once a week? twice a month?

how loud? does the loudness vary with the musical volume? when it 'dings' does the music seem to be intruded on? or is it completely separate from the music?

is your system in a common room where other things are going on like a TV, oven, or other appliances? or in a separate dedicated room with only your system?

Is the sound coming from the speakers or is it coming directly from the "system?"
I think the ding sound is coming directly from the system, but I'm not sure.

Does it happen mostly during warmup ? My MBL amps give off some serious clonk sound during warmup and cool down, Krell amps did the same. Probably heat sinks moving with temperature changes .
No.

define 'often'. every 20 minutes? every hour? once a session? once a week? twice a month?

how loud? does the loudness vary with the musical volume? when it 'dings' does the music seem to be intruded on? or is it completely separate from the music?

is your system in a common room where other things are going on like a TV, oven, or other appliances? or in a separate dedicated room with only your system?
Once or twice a session.

Very loud. The loudness does not vary with the musical volume. I think it's separate from the music.

The system is in my living room.

EDLIU (Ed?),

my best guess as to the source of the 'ding' is an alarm of some sort. possibly triggered by your system. it could be on your phone, something in your home power grid or possibly window security system that the music is disturbing or maybe around your room someplace. could be a sump pump alarm in the basement or crawl space? something you have that is going 'ding' that you are not aware of.

do you know about any security system and can it be disabled?

maybe shut off your phone.

if you have 'Alexa' or other A.I. interfaces turn them off.

the 'ding' might be unrelated to your system and simply be going off coincidentally to you listening.

nothing in your gear makes noises like that. and it's not changing volume with the up or down of system volume.

hope it helps, good luck,

Mike

Last edited:
Hi, EDLIU. Does this noise correspond with heavy transients or bass passages?

Tom

If it happens no matter the volume you might try spreading the pieces out as far as possible to help you localize the sound and then playing something at low volume whilst reading a book or whatever. Move the speakers as far to the sides as possible, move the CD player out and as far as the cable will reach, maybe on the floor (on a piece of cardboard or something, not directly on carpet). Anything to help create some space among components so when the sound happens it is easier to point at a specific box.

Do you have a smoke detector in the room? They "cheep" now and then when the battery gets low. If you have a UPS that is another possibility, or a buzzer on a fancy power strip when it senses overload or incoming power spikes.

HTH - Don

I think the ding sound is coming directly from the system, but I'm not sure.

Once or twice a session.

Very loud. The loudness does not vary with the musical volume. I think it's separate from the music.

The system is in my living room.
I have the same thing and it comes from my main system rack. I do not know the exact culprit or cause but I have another observation.
It only occurs after my system has been powered down for more than a day or two and it continues for up to 24hours. I believe that it is the result of cooling and reheating some large structural element, either the rack itself or a large component.

I have the same thing and it comes from my main system rack. I do not know the exact culprit or cause but I have another observation.
It only occurs after my system has been powered down for more than a day or two and it continues for up to 24hours. I believe that it is the result of cooling and reheating some large structural element, either the rack itself or a large component.
How do I get the stereo system fixed?

How do I get the stereo system fixed?
???? I have no idea. My system is rarely off long enough to respond that way when turned back on. When it is, I live with it for 24 or so hours.
Do you turn yours off?

???? I have no idea. My system is rarely off long enough to respond that way when turned back on. When it is, I live with it for 24 or so hours.
Do you turn yours off?
So the stereo system(CD player, Amp, Speakers) are not having problems? They don't need fix?

Hi, EDLIU. Does this noise correspond with heavy transients or bass passages?
Hi, Tre, What are "heavy transients and bass passages"?

Do you have a smoke detector in the room? They "cheep" now and then when the battery gets low. If you have a UPS that is another possibility, or a buzzer on a fancy power strip when it senses overload or incoming power spikes.
Nope. None of those.

Last edited:
So the stereo system(CD player, Amp, Speakers) are not having problems? They don't need fix?
I do not know. It is not an electronic tone, it is physical. It may be the rack or the components but something is heating and expanding and, at variable times, some joint/interface needs to give. Sort of like a minor tectonic shift. Just my speculations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing