System snap, crackle, pop

Bino

Oct 30, 2022
Problem with: Marantz 8B Amp, 7 Pre Amp, 10B Tuner, Focal Chora 826 speakers, CD player, new RCA cables.

When the system is turned on and warming up (10-20 minutes) the volume control knob on the 7 pre amp is turn off there is a crackling sound and an occasional popping noise but only from the left speaker. We started by buying all new good RCA cables. While playing music it sounds fine, then every so often you hear a pop noise in the left speaker and sometimes the left speaker cuts out all together. We have tried various ways of hooking up the components and the problem continues. While listening to a CD it sounded fine for about 20 minutes then the crackling/popping returned and then no music plays thru the left speaker, but do hear the noises.
We plugged the 8B amp and the CD player into grounded new power strip rather than plugging into the back of the 7 pre amp, this seemed to help a little, but not solved by any stretch. Could this be a grounding issue, bad tube, something wrong with the CD player?

Really don’t know what else to try and would really appreciate suggestions.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
First off, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Let's see if we can do some eliminating to isolate where the issue is coming from.

Try swapping the speaker connections (L&R). Does the sound follow the speaker or remain on the same channel?

Tom

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Problem with: Marantz 8B Amp, 7 Pre Amp, 10B Tuner, Focal Chora 826 speakers, CD player, new RCA cables.

When the system is turned on and warming up (10-20 minutes) the volume control knob on the 7 pre amp is turn off there is a crackling sound and an occasional popping noise but only from the left speaker. We started by buying all new good RCA cables. While playing music it sounds fine, then every so often you hear a pop noise in the left speaker and sometimes the left speaker cuts out all together. We have tried various ways of hooking up the components and the problem continues. While listening to a CD it sounded fine for about 20 minutes then the crackling/popping returned and then no music plays thru the left speaker, but do hear the noises.
We plugged the 8B amp and the CD player into grounded new power strip rather than plugging into the back of the 7 pre amp, this seemed to help a little, but not solved by any stretch. Could this be a grounding issue, bad tube, something wrong with the CD player?

Really don’t know what else to try and would really appreciate suggestions.
Hey @Bino welcome to WBF I am sorry to hear of your issue but nevertheless lets see what we can do. Eight times out of Ten, speaker crackling is almost always caused by a connection problem. Someplace between your amplifier and your speaker driver, there's a bad wire which is causing the driver to move abruptly, causing interference. Possible reasons would be: connection problems faulty pot (the crackling would be subject to pot movement) faulty tube faulty equipment . I would recommend resetting all of the tubes, checking connections and trying other gears in your system to narrow down to the issue.

Sundamage

Jan 22, 2024
Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hello, completely new here. I am also having the exact same issue with a Marantz 2226B. Connections have been checked regarding speakers with new wire and correct connection. My system is fairly basic with just a turntable & receiver. I will open it up and take a look for anything out of the ordinary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing