System upgrade

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
@Maril555 , what a fantastic system you have there. I have been contemplating a new set of horns to move on from my Avantgarde Duo’s for a while now. You give me inspiration.

I feel confident in my ability to build bass cabinets, and I’ve also found an interesting source for radial wood horns. My worries are about the crossovers; I get lost real fast when it comes to schematics and numbers, lol!
My passive x-over is very simple- it’s a 1st order series design, one capacitor, one coil and L-pad
(to be replaced with resistor later on).
I’m using active x-over now with Thomas Mayer driving HF horns and First Watt F3 driving bass.
I like it quite a bit.
Fostex T500 MkIII supertweeter piggy backed to Altec HF with one resistor

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
@Ovenmitt did you embark on this speaker project?
Hi Erik,

I haven't started the speaker project yet. Work life has been super hectic lately - unfortunately... I have been trying to do some studying on horns, but find myself suffering from a bad case of "The more I learn, the less I know" syndrome. I have a Commonwealth 12D, that I am in the process of restoring and building a plinth for - much smaller project - that's keeping me in the sawdust for now.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have the T500 mkll and used it with Accuphase F-25 for 3-way active system. All in all I have a better result running my system as a 2-way. View attachment 90862
I’m using Fostex T500MkIII, but they are passively piggy-backed to Altec 288 with copper coil/paper diaphragms .
Currently the x-over point is 10K Hz
I like it much better with Fostex
It’s very unobtrusive and just adds extension and air
Rather subtle
Using Pass Labs XVR-1 active x-over for the main speakers
Thomas Mayer up too and First Watt F3 on the bottom
This is a first time in many years I don’t want to change anything

Reactions: christoph

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I have the T500 mkll and used it with Accuphase F-25 for 3-way active system. All in all I have a better result running my system as a 2-way. View attachment 90862
I’m using Fostex T500MkIII, but they are passively piggy-backed to Altec 288 with copper coil/paper diaphragms .
Rather subtle
This is a first time in many years I don’t want to change anythi
My supertweeter is much further back relative to horn mouth

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
Rather subtle
This is a first time in many years I don’t want to change anythi

My supertweeter is much further back relative to horn mouth
So was mine when I used it. First pic was actually not from the time when it was in use. 9DDC85B9-0575-462A-BE38-84E1075F2533.jpeg

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Got it
What was the x-over point for the Fostex?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
7000! Yes i know 10k would have been better but I did not have that option at the time. Tested the JBL 2404 at the same time. View attachment 90904
7000 is too low for that driver
That’s probably why u didn’t like it

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Any updates on your system as it currently stands? How's it sounding? Have you made any changes recently?

BTW, is Peter Noerbaek of PBN interested in taking cabinet build commissions for these?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Any updates on your system as it currently stands? How's it sounding? Have you made any changes recently?

BTW, is Peter Noerbaek of PBN interested in taking cabinet build commissions for these?
Sent you a PM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing