System upgrade

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Misho did make a transformer based x-over, and I discussed him making one for me, but it’s more complicated, than it seemed to me, as it requires a lot of in situ testing and re-winding, which he has no time for right now.
I use Ypsilon MC 10L SUT (1:10).
New cart will be the next step after this business with the new amps and speakers is finished.
I’m also tempted to try Bi-radial horns made by Joseph Crowe Audio with Radian 951 NEO drivers 2” exits.
Thats what I like about this project- the possibilities are infinite. Audiophile wet dream (or curse)
Crowe makes a small exit horn that could be fun on top of the multi cell too....

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sure,
I have First Watt F3 amp that I used for a burn in. Im going to keep it and may use it later in active x-over implementation. I would need another Pass Labs XVR-1 control module to make it 3-way active.
Currently I use it with JL subs.
My TT is SpJ La Luce.
You should try a First Watt SIT3 if you have a chance.

Reactions: Mikem53

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I’m also tempted to try Bi-radial horns made by Joseph Crowe Audio with Radian 951 NEO drivers 2” exits.
Biradial horns will be the highest waf with such a speaker. Not sure about the sound.

You could try both biradial and the 1505 with both drivers. Markus will make you an adapter so the other driver can easily be added.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What about the physical alignment of the drivers? Did it all just fit in or did you have to do any adustments? Is it coherent, from one place?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Biradial horns will be the highest waf with such a speaker. Not sure about the sound.

You could try both biradial and the 1505 with both drivers. Markus will make you an adapter so the other driver can easily be added.
My Radian 951 is 2” exit, as I’ve been told it will work better with 300 Hz bi-radial horn, so it wont be optimal with 1505 with 1.4” throat. 2” driver can be crossed over at 500 Hz, or maybe down to 400 Hz, when 1.4” needs to be crossed over at 650 Hz
With respect to coherence, it’s too early to tell. I’m still experimenting.
I also want to try paper diaphragms with copper coil on Altec 288s

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

I have also been told that that particular bi-radial horn will give more midrange clarity and details, as well as the soundstage depth, than 1505

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My Radian 951 is 2” exit, as I’ve been told it will work better with 300 Hz bi-radial horn, so it wont be optimal with 1505 with 1.4” throat. 2” driver can be crossed over at 500 Hz, or maybe down to 400 Hz, when 1.4” needs to be crossed over at 650 Hz
With respect to coherence, it’s too early to tell. I’m still experimenting.
I also want to try paper diaphragms with copper coil on Altec 288s

yeah paper can sound good one guy had great videos replacing his Altec 290 phenolic with paper.

Markus can make a 2" throat it won't cost much to try given you already have the horn. It is just replacing that first part of wood that comes from the driver that has screws on.

Never heard the biradial, but the Autotech JMLC with radian gives one of the best mids and highs in audio (Leif also uses that with the TAD 4003), extremely transparent and nuanced, like an electrostat, and very different to an Altec presentation. The crossover with the 270 JMLC can stay at the same. You will then need to add another 1 inch radian above for that making the crossover 3-way

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Maril555, you are in good hands with Peter!

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
@Maril555 , what a fantastic system you have there. I have been contemplating a new set of horns to move on from my Avantgarde Duo’s for a while now. You give me inspiration.

I feel confident in my ability to build bass cabinets, and I’ve also found an interesting source for radial wood horns. My worries are about the crossovers; I get lost real fast when it comes to schematics and numbers, lol!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@Maril555 , what a fantastic system you have there. I have been contemplating a new set of horns to move on from my Avantgarde Duo’s for a while now. You give me inspiration.

I feel confident in my ability to build bass cabinets, and I’ve also found an interesting source for radial wood horns. My worries are about the crossovers; I get lost real fast when it comes to schematics and numbers, lol!

There are softwares for this. But ideally just copy an existing crossover from a design that works. Many can build it for you once you give them the circuit. Then, if you like, practice your DIY skills tweaking it by using the software so that if things go wrong you know what to go back to

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

Uh...having seen pics of your TT plinths I can't wait to see your bass cabs!

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Decided to post my new (partially) system:
After reading Bonzo’s report on Misho Myronov”s Altec Dual woofer front loaded horns, and doing some research I‘ve decided to commission the same To replace my Avantgarde Duo Omega G2s that i ve been using for a while.
Peter Noerbaek of PBN Audio had gracefully agreed to build Altec 817 replicas and crossovers.
I must state it here, that the quality of his work, customer service and attitude are of the highest order. He is so easy to deal with, it’s been an absolute pleasure.
1505 Altec multicell horns were built by Markus Klug.
Series x-over using Duelund caps were designed by Misho Myronov, who is another gentleman of the audio world.
After some unexpected setbacks everything is finally in place and making music.
While at it, I’ve decided to commission somewhat custom 6CB5 A SE Single ended monoblocks from Thomas MAyer- and he is yet another true gentleman and a great person to do business with.
Thomas Mayer amps replace my Lamm ML2s that I thought I’d never sell.
Its way to early to form an opinion on the sound yet, but it is very promising and I’m convinced Ive made a right move.

Very intriguing with all that you've got going on here. You seem to be pretty meticulous too which helps immensely.

Peter Noerbaek of PBN is indeed quite the gentleman and quite knowledgeable too. I borrowed a pair of his Sammy's for a couple of audio shows 10 years ago and I was rather impressed at their level of musicality. ScanSpeak drivers, excellent construction, etc. Especially since the Sammy's were about in the middle of his product line up. Peter seems to be one of those that quietly goes about his business and I suspect those who do business with him get their money's worth and then some.

Anyway, very sophisticated looking config. How's it sounding these days?

Reactions: jeff1225

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Very intriguing with all that you've got going on here. You seem to be pretty meticulous too which helps immensely.

Peter Noerbaek of PBN is indeed quite the gentleman and quite knowledgeable too. I borrowed a pair of his Sammy's for a couple of audio shows 10 years ago and I was rather impressed at their level of musicality. ScanSpeak drivers, excellent construction, etc. Especially since the Sammy's were about in the middle of his product line up. Peter seems to be one of those that quietly goes about his business and I suspect those who do business with him get their money's worth and then some.

Anyway, very sophisticated looking config. How's it sounding these days?
Sorry,
Missed your post. Surprisingly, it keeps improving with more play time.
I'm rotating between Thomas Mayer SET monoblocks and First Watt F3, both have their pluses and minuses.
Makes me think about using active x-over with F3 on the bottom and Mayer on HF. Unfortunately, my Pass Labs XVR-1 is only 2-way, and I will need another unit to make it 3,4-way.
Just found out yesterday, that it's been discontinued by Pass Labs, that leaves me with used as an only option.
Also added Fostex T500A MkIII supertweeters crossed-over at 10 KHz- sounds really nice.
Have a pair of Radian 950 Neo 2" drivers waiting for Markus Klug 2" throats to arrive.
That's in a nutshell

jw67

Apr 10, 2019
That is a lovely setup. I have heard Misho’s / Yanislav’s system in Bulgaria. A very big sound, wonderful. Interesting that you are able to do a pretty accurate comparison with the AG. Well done.

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
A beautiful and incredibly fun system. I hope you keep posting comparisons, evaluations, and updates for a long time to come. Looking forward to reading more as the posts come in...

Reactions: christoph

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
A beautiful and incredibly fun system. I hope you keep posting comparisons, evaluations, and updates for a long time to come. Looking forward to reading more as the posts come in...

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Just wanted to post some videos:
This one is with First Watt F3 amplifier and Fostex T500A MkII supertweter

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
This is Analogue Productions RCA re-issue of Scheherazade

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

@Ovenmitt did you embark on this speaker project?

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Congrats, can you post some videos?

Thomas's best products I heard are the 10y preamp, which is my favorite valve preamp, and then the phono. The 46 is the best amp I have heard but not powerful enough for most speakers though the push pull version might work on Altec. Never heard the 6cb5a would love to
I wonder if this is jay audio lab approved
im sure it sounds amazing and looks I can’t describe wow.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing