T.H.E. Show 2022 Long Beach

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
PXL_20220611_233504572.jpg

Pranafidelity, EAR.

New speakers from Pranafidelity that replace the Bhavas, of which I was a fan. I think I preferred the sound from the Bhavas to this new version with laminated cabinets. Perhaps they are more inert, but right off the bat for me, the sound was a bit less musical than I'd recalled from Pranafidelity in the past.

Edit: Also note the passive Townshend preamp was in play. Thumbs up.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
PXL_20220611_235856316.jpg

PXL_20220612_000006639.jpg

AER, Sunvalley.

Nice little tube amps with Hashimoto OPTs, but ultimately this room didn't work. The rep argued with me about bass response, which was non-existent from the AERs. And the timbre from the acrylic speaker cabinets just sounded wrong to me. What can I say.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
PXL_20220612_003016322.jpg

Estelon, Soulution, Synergistic.

I have liked Estelon speakers in general, and this room sounded good with some content but too warm with other content.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks for all your interesting reports, Bazelio. What did you not like about the JBL horn speakers? (Insofar conclusions can be drawn under show conditions, that is.)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
View attachment 94492

PBN, Voss Audio, Garrard 401, cable smorgasbord.

Easy to listen to. A bit smooth and laid back for my tastes overall. This is the second time I've heard Voss now. I am piecing together an impression that it's pretty good stuff.

I thought these PBN speakers sounded wonderful!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I thought a simple vocal sounded convincing.

For each channel I was imagining a vertical array of AER drivers in one column, and a stack of small, fast REL woofers, starting at about 300Hz, next to it.

Kedar, how come we never see on a baffle groups of these AER drivers to achieve more driver surface area, instead of squirting all of the sound out of a single 6" thing?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Brian,

Thank you so much for posting all of these photos and for your comments!

Great work!

Reactions: paolo and bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

For each channel I was imagining a vertical array of AER drivers in one column, and a stack of small, fast REL woofers, starting at about 300Hz, next to it.

Kedar, how come we never see on a baffle groups of these AER drivers to achieve more driver surface area, instead of squirting all of the sound out of a single 6" thing?

I have never seen full range drivers over a baffle. Usually in back loaded horns, the other way is to cross over to an open baffle like the Pass SLOB design but another driver is used for the bass. Apart from G's pnoe in person, AER videos from Russia were brilliant with Murat's crossed over to horn bass and another to Maxxonic woofer array.

Also look at feastrex designs

The whole point of single full range driver is to minimize crossover and cover as much range as possible through one driver, that's the magic. The compromise of not having a stack of drivers to cover the whole range then has to be dealt by the design. There is a certain magic to be heard in the dynamic range due to the elimination of crossover which was heard only with G's pnoe, Pietro's yamamura, and the Loth minstrel that Bill had even though the Loth lacked bass

Last edited:

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
bazelio,

Thank you for the great report. Excellent photos and I enjoyed your comments.

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks for all your interesting reports, Bazelio. What did you not like about the JBL horn speakers? (Insofar conclusions can be drawn under show conditions, that is.)

They were breathy and unexpressive. For example, there was a track played with some foreground hand clapping. There was no snap to it whatsoever, but rather the sound was just rounded over. Detail in general was just not there.

Reactions: Al M.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

That's why they were basically playing only simple vocals (at least while I visited the room). The rep didn't take kindly to my request to play something that had bass content in it, and it was apparent why once he capitulated. And even with vocals, to my ears, there was a certain glare off the acrylic that wasn't ultimately pleasing. I really wanted to like the AERs more. It was my first exposure to them.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I really wanted to like the AERs more. It was my first exposure to them.

Why, do you think listening to any good drivers in any context is exposure to them? It's not even for speakers far less drivers.

You could have tried to find out what they did well there rather than what they were not doing at the show

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
You could have tried to find out what they did well there rather than what they were not doing at the show

Perhaps I did try, and you're jumping to conclusions (again). Similarly, I've never heard Voxativ sound good stateside. But this is not to say they can not sound good, nor to say that I've written them off entirely. This was merely a disappointing first exposure to AER, which I'd been looking forward to for some time.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
They were breathy and unexpressive. For example, there was a track played with some foreground hand clapping. There was no snap to it whatsoever, but rather the sound was just rounded over. Detail in general was just not there.

Thank you, interesting. You said on earlier occasions that in general you have not heard great detail from horn speakers. What kind of detail do you mean?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you, interesting. You said on earlier occasions that in general you have not heard great detail from horn speakers. What kind of detail do you mean?

Is that a horn speaker?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Zingali with valves is very warm and colored. Bloated midbass too

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing