Taiko Audio Extreme Router and Extreme Switch : the new Kings in 2023

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Firstly, my declaration of conflict of interest :
I'm a diehard fans of Taiko Extreme Server.
:p

The followings are my thoughts after visiting Volent Audio, the official Taiko dealer in Hong Kong and auditioning the Extreme Server working together with Extreme Router and Extreme Switch 2 days ago.

Here's the system I listened to :
IMG_20231017_191515.jpg

A closer look of the 3 brothers - Extreme Router/Switch/Distributor and the Plixir Statement LPS which supplied the former two of them :
IMG_20231017_191804.jpg

Do you like the Matt Black finish? I think that it's Cool !
:cool:
IMG_20231017_192032.jpg

I tested the Extreme Router & Switch extensively, in various configurations. Compared it and mixed & matched it with the Zayin Audio Stargate switch (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zayin-audio-stargate-audiophile-switch-a-steal-of-2023.36860/).
I did the audition with Ben Lau, the boss of Volent Audio together and we discussed in depth the application of these 3 fabulous Taiko network gadgets.

Here are my thoughts :

1. Extreme Router in Volent Audio showroom, was connected to & downstream of the showroom's main router, a QNAP via ethernet wallsocket.
I compared QNAP>Extreme Router>Extreme Switch vs QNAP>Zayin Stargate>Extreme Switch.
The latter is similar to my current home network config.
Overall the former combination was sonically superior and I could therefore deduce from it that the Extreme Router was superior to Zayin Stargate and its 2x price was justified.

The Stargate held the ground in treble agility, extension & finesse and I still personally opined that it's the second best in the market. However, the Extreme Router triumphed in most other areas.
This is the reason of the title of this thread : new Kings of 2023!

2. However there were some prerequisites to achieve the abovementioned result.
The powersupply was of extreme importance. Plixir Statement LPS was employed in the audition and it was my favourite LPS for network uses. Inferior LPSs may have changed the result.
Also, please don't assume that the Extreme DC Power Distributor can solve everything. A flagship grade LPS is a must.
BTW I have confidence in the coming Extreme BPS too. ;)

3. The network/DAC cables are important.
I guess most of the Taiko owners now understand the sonic pros & cons of the thick/long vs short/slim DAC cables?
They affected the final sonic result during my audition a lot!
Please try the various combinations and apply according to tastes & the systems.

4. The installation & integration of Extreme Router into the pre-existing home network is not as straightforward as the Extreme Switch.
For example, it could clash with QNAP routers due to ip address issues but worked smoothly with Netgear Obit Mesh routers.
Therefore good aftersale support by the local dealers and/or the Taiko team in Holland is crucial.

Now comes my final thought :
Can the Extreme Router+Switch be paired with other brands of audiophile servers/streamers?
Can they elevate these
non-Taiko servers/streamers to new heights?
I guess the answer is a Yes.

However due to the backorder of both of them, both Ben and I don't have chance to apply them on other server/streamer brands yet.
Even the matt black Router+PowerDistrubutor I tested in Volent showroom were not showroom demos. They belong to a client of Ben who will take them home for his Extreme Server soon.

I very much hope that Taiko could increase their production speed & volume and thus opening a new market and inviting more clients for these marvellous Taiko CAS components!

Dear WBF brothers : do you have experience in matching the Extreme Router/Switch/PowerDistributor with other brands of CAS servers/streamers?
Please chime in!
:D

Ken_loves_classical

Aug 14, 2023
Hi CKKeung, thanks for the sharing. I am sharing more ameteur config as you with MSB Ref DAC with femto 33 , Antipodes Oladra, dual switch: SOTM 10G switch (no ext clock) and Telegartner M12 Gold, both are connected to Nordost LPS.

I am going to upgrade my switch and i am interested in your previous sharing about dual SOTM switch with cybershaft OP21A. As both MSB and Antipodes Oladra come with decent internal clock (also no ext option), i am bit hesitate to invest OP21A for the use of 2 SOTM switches only.

As there are stargate and taiko extreme switch coming in 2023, do you think SOTM dual switch with cybershaft OP21A is still the best? Or these all in one boxes are better?

thanks! I am also from HK.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung, thanks for the sharing. I am sharing more ameteur config as you with MSB Ref DAC with femto 33 , Antipodes Oladra, dual switch: SOTM 10G switch (no ext clock) and Telegartner M12 Gold, both are connected to Nordost LPS.

I am going to upgrade my switch and i am interested in your previous sharing about dual SOTM switch with cybershaft OP21A. As both MSB and Antipodes Oladra come with decent internal clock (also no ext option), i am bit hesitate to invest OP21A for the use of 2 SOTM switches only.

As there are stargate and taiko extreme switch coming in 2023, do you think SOTM dual switch with cybershaft OP21A is still the best? Or these all in one boxes are better?

thanks! I am also from HK.
Hi Ken,
Nice to have you, a HK MSB user sharing on WBF. :D

Oladra is an excellent CAS server. It's employed at the Magico M7 debut in Paris just then.

I do want to know how it performs with Zayin Audio Stargate switch and whether it can work smoothly with Taiko Audio Extreme Router and/or Extreme Switch too.

However it's 20+kg in weight. Otherwise I would have suggested you to bring it to Volent Audio showroom in HK to do an audition.

There have been Taiko Extreme Server owners replacing their SOtM switches with Extreme Router/Switch and got good results.

It's easier for you to bring your SOtM switches to Volent Audio to do a comparison?
The OP21A is not cheaper than the Extreme Router or Switch and it may be more economical for you to change camp from SOtM to Taiko router/switch.

Christiaan Punter

Firstly, my declaration of conflict of interest :
I'm a diehard fans of Taiko Extreme Server.
:p

The followings are my thoughts after visiting Volent Audio, the official Taiko dealer in Hong Kong and auditioning the Extreme Server working together with Extreme Router and Extreme Switch 2 days ago.

Here's the system I listened to :
View attachment 118396

A closer look of the 3 brothers - Extreme Router/Switch/Distributor and the Plixir Statement LPS which supplied the former two of them :
View attachment 118398

Do you like the Matt Black finish? I think that it's Cool !
:cool:
View attachment 118399

I tested the Extreme Router & Switch extensively, in various configurations. Compared it and mixed & matched it with the Zayin Audio Stargate switch (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zayin-audio-stargate-audiophile-switch-a-steal-of-2023.36860/).
I did the audition with Ben Lau, the boss of Volent Audio together and we discussed in depth the application of these 3 fabulous Taiko network gadgets.

Here are my thoughts :

1. Extreme Router in Volent Audio showroom, was connected to & downstream of the showroom's main router, a QNAP via ethernet wallsocket.
I compared QNAP>Extreme Router>Extreme Switch vs QNAP>Zayin Stargate>Extreme Switch.
The latter is similar to my current home network config.
Overall the former combination was sonically superior and I could therefore deduce from it that the Extreme Router was superior to Zayin Stargate and its 2x price was justified.

The Stargate held the ground in treble agility, extension & finesse and I still personally opined that it's the second best in the market. However, the Extreme Router triumphed in most other areas.
This is the reason of the title of this thread : new Kings of 2023!

2. However there were some prerequisites to achieve the abovementioned result.
The powersupply was of extreme importance. Plixir Statement LPS was employed in the audition and it was my favourite LPS for network uses. Inferior LPSs may have changed the result.
Also, please don't assume that the Extreme DC Power Distributor can solve everything. A flagship grade LPS is a must.
BTW I have confidence in the coming Extreme BPS too. ;)

3. The network/DAC cables are important.
I guess most of the Taiko owners now understand the sonic pros & cons of the thick/long vs short/slim DAC cables?
They affected the final sonic result during my audition a lot!
Please try the various combinations and apply according to tastes & the systems.

4. The installation & integration of Extreme Router into the pre-existing home network is not as straightforward as the Extreme Switch.
For example, it could clash with QNAP routers due to ip address issues but worked smoothly with Netgear Obit Mesh routers.
Therefore good aftersale support by the local dealers and/or the Taiko team in Holland is crucial.

Now comes my final thought :
Can the Extreme Router+Switch be paired with other brands of audiophile servers/streamers?
Can they elevate these
non-Taiko servers/streamers to new heights?
I guess the answer is a Yes.

However due to the backorder of both of them, both Ben and I don't have chance to apply them on other server/streamer brands yet.
Even the matt black Router+PowerDistrubutor I tested in Volent showroom were not showroom demos. They belong to a client of Ben who will take them home for his Extreme Server soon.

I very much hope that Taiko could increase their production speed & volume and thus opening a new market and inviting more clients for these marvellous Taiko CAS components!

Dear WBF brothers : do you have experience in matching the Extreme Router/Switch/PowerDistributor with other brands of CAS servers/streamers?
Please chime in!
:D
To this question:

"Can the Extreme Router+Switch be paired with other brands of audiophile servers/streamers?"

I can respond with a resounding Yes, Indeed! :)

My tests show that all servers and streamers benefit from the Extreme Router and Switch, leading to a more organic, better fleshed-out presentation with enhanced continuousness (fluidity) and deeper and more immersive soundstaging.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
IIUC, you compared here a router (Extreme) to a switch (Zayin).
Sorry, does this makes sense at all?

Matt

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
IIUC, you compared here a router (Extreme) to a switch (Zayin).
Sorry, does this makes sense at all?

Matt
You may use the Extreme Router as a sole & true router, but I guess the home network of many Taiko Extreme Server owners have got a home router already.

In the Volent Audio showroom, this was the exact situation : there was already a QNAP router in the showroom, connected to the IT vendor modem and to the other desktop computers in the showroom.

The Extreme Router was downstream to the QNAP.
So effectively, at least in the Volent Audio showroom, the Extreme Router and the Zayin Stargate switch when connected in term to the downstream Extreme Switch, were performing similar function of a dual-switch config.

I'm not an IT expert and I compared their sonic performance as a CAS audiophile.
IMHO what really counts is the final sonic performance.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
So effectively, at least in the Volent Audio showroom, the Extreme Router and the Zayin Stargate switch when connected in term to the downstream Extreme Switch, were performing similar function of a dual-switch config.
There is a post from Emile which explains that the function of a router and switch are different.
I would prefer:
QNAP > Extreme router > Extreme switch
vs
QNAP > Extreme router > Zayin switch
This would be a direct switch to switch comparison.

Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: Armsan

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
There is a post from Emile which explains that the function of a router and switch are different.
I would prefer:
QNAP > Extreme router > Extreme switch
vs
QNAP > Extreme router > Zayin switch
This would be a direct switch to switch comparison.

Matt
You may be right.
But I did the comparison not solely for putting on WBF.
I did so also for myself because I had got the Extreme Switch for several months already and was considering to buy the Extreme Router as well or not.
Eventually I bought a Stargate switch, as described on #1.

I can ask Ben Lau of Volent Audio to do your suggested comparison.

Reactions: matthias

Aufiopassion

Aug 20, 2023
Has anyone compared the Taiko router/switch with the Nordost Qnet and its linear PSU Qsource? Thank you!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My Taiko Router arrives soon. I’ve been using the Switch and Network card with great results.
Has anyone connected another device to the router via Ethernet? I’m expecting a big lift in A/V quality from my Apple TV “X”…

Last edited:
Reactions: Christiaan Punter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing