Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The Extreme does not do gap-less playback...how on earth are you possibly going to listen to The Wall or any other concept album.
Years ago I was an early adopter of Plex (lifetime member), got all excited and ripped all my cd's and went to play The Wall and found out no gap-less playback. Got my cd player back out and that was the end of that. They had a workaround for that through a very poorly implemented theater app that they discontinued. Thousands of requests to add the feature from paying members and nothing but the finger. Been a few years should log in and see if they added it...yet.

Glad Emile is investing the time and effort for that to be a reality, its part of the artists intended listening experience.
He seems like a stand up guy / company.

Just to clarify, TAS does not do gap-less playback. Roon does and so will XDMS.

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Also worth checking you have the latest firmware update on the MSB - I had an issue playing files (not APE though) and the firmware update seemed to address the issue - just in case…
When was the last firmware update for the MSB Select?

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
In preparation of my 11th week from the order o_O, to make the wait even spicier I have decided to get a Daiza as well.

Talking about isolation from various types of disturbances, has anybody tried grounding devices on the Extreme? Is there a consensus about whether it is better to power it direct from wall plug (assuming one has a decently clean supply and a dedicated line) or via power conditioners?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thanks for the reply. I have waited several min several times. My dac (MSB) shows no indication of a song playing. Always seems to have CBR like this one, “1017 kbps CBR, 44.1khz, APE” in the digital description as shown in TAS.
Thanks

APE is not supported in TAS. You will need to use Roon to play APE files.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
In preparation of my 11th week from the order o_O, to make the wait even spicier I have decided to get a Daiza as well.

We are running about 4 weeks behind on the batch shipping out next due to an accumulation of circumstances, first a disruption in the copper supply lines, second the Christmas / New Year holiday, third I had to quarantine myself for a few days due to my kids catching Omikron at school and fourth and current, a staff shortage at the anodising company because of quarantines. On the positive side, while sitting here turning thumbs for them to finish I find myself making good progress on improving TAS SQ for the upcoming update.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
first a disruption in the copper supply lines
I have heard several manufacturers saying the exact same thing . Lukasz at Lampzator was having the same issues recently in the build of his new DAC.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
We are running about 4 weeks behind on the batch shipping out next due to an accumulation of circumstances, first a disruption in the copper supply lines, second the Christmas / New Year holiday, third I had to quarantine myself for a few days due to my kids catching Omikron at school and fourth and current, a staff shortage at the anodising company because of quarantines. On the positive side, while sitting here turning thumbs for them to finish I find myself making good progress on improving TAS SQ for the upcoming update.

It is amazing how the global supply chain has caused issues for just about everyone.

Do you expect to roll out the OS + TAS update in the next couple of weeks? Sooner? ??

Cyrus

Jun 15, 2018
I have joined the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme family.

This post is to express my thanks and gratitude to the following members:

- Mike L. for making it possible, for his encouragement, and for simply being the gentleman that Mike is!

- Cyrus for the transfer of ownership, an incredible purchase experience, and for getting his baby to me safe and sound.

- Victor for his selfless support and guidance and the large chunk of time he took out of his schedule to help me.

- Emile for answering all of my 'newbie' questions, for being there, for the final remote setup, and for his ongoing guidance since.

The human-relational and relationship experiences have been superlative. The musical experience and enjoyment is right up there as well....

I also want to thank Charles, Scott, and Zebo for their depth and breadth of advice and support prior to my choosing the Extreme over other servers...as the best option and fit for my needs and system.

@Mike Lavigne @Husk @V-Squared @Taiko Audio @charles1dad @xsheaffer @zebo67

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

- Mike L. for making it possible, for his encouragement, and for simply being the gentleman that Mike is!

- Cyrus for the transfer of ownership, an incredible purchase experience, and for getting his baby to me safe and sound.

- Victor for his selfless support and guidance and the large chunk of time he took out of his schedule to help me.

- Emile for answering all of my 'newbie' questions, for being there, for the final remote setup, and for his ongoing guidance since.

The human-relational and relationship experiences have been superlative. The musical experience and enjoyment is right up there as well....

I also want to thank Charles, Scott, and Zebo for their depth and breadth of advice and support prior to my choosing the Extreme over other servers...as the best option and fit for my needs and system.

Congratulations Cyrus, now you, along with a few hundred othe happy Extreme users, are part of the Taiko family.

Imho it's a great family to be a part of. It brings a feeling of "digital music security" with the never ending advancements in digital technology that will continue throughout our life times. Welcome to the "Taiko Train":) In Taiko we trust!!!

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have heard several manufacturers saying the exact same thing . Lukasz at Lampzator was having the same issues recently in the build of his new DAC.

The market dynamics have completely changed. 6 month lead-times are normal now, on some parts it's even worse. This all used to be available on demand. The obvious way around this is to actually keep enough stock to bridge these lead-times but if your demand varies it's problematic to compensate where your only solution is to buy from brokers as we had to do to close the gaps. Now the prices you pay can be borderline ridiculous, the most extreme example being an almost 3000% up mark (Euro 135.000 versus the USD 4.600 list price for 1000 pieces) for a component we use in an upcoming product. We had to fill the copper shortage gap I mentioned above through a broker as well but got away with paying "only" 350% of normal, though even regular suppliers charge can 150-200% now for both copper and aluminium.

Alex G

Feb 1, 2021
California

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
The market dynamics have completely changed. 6 month lead-times are normal now, on some parts it's even worse. This all used to be available on demand. The obvious way around this is to actually keep enough stock to bridge these lead-times but if your demand varies it's problematic to compensate where your only solution is to buy from brokers as we had to do to close the gaps. Now the prices you pay can be borderline ridiculous, the most extreme example being an almost 3000% up mark (Euro 135.000 versus the USD 4.600 list price for 1000 pieces) for a component we use in an upcoming product. We had to fill the copper shortage gap I mentioned above through a broker as well but got away with paying "only" 350% of normal, though even regular suppliers charge can 150-200% now for both copper and aluminium.
It is indeed a very good thing that we can rely on SW updates to move us all up on the SQ ladder! Here we depend on the continued health and well-being of Taiko-Team of course as it is not very large.

Component resource shortages are likely not going away and is there for all globally - so dependency on HW-upgrades become intrinsically uncertain for period to come.

I for one am looking forward to the upcoming network & switch card which has potential to increase the depth of vertical integration Extreme can deliver - but pending it's availability (component shortages) I will enjoy the upcoming SW releases -> future safe!

Last edited:

Christiaan Punter

DSF Files are not supported either? Or do I have something set up wrong?
DSD is supported, maybe you have to enable or disable DoP in the DAC driver settings of the TAS app?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 10

Christiaan Punter

V-Squared

Jun 9, 2017

My pleasure. Glad I was able to help.

Reactions: Cyrus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing