Taiko vs Antipodes vs LDMS vs everyone else... who should I choose?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think one of the considerations in selecting a server is to try to understand what each company's development and "stay current" plan is, assuming that is important to you. All these servers are basically computers running audio playback and library management software so it is important for them to have a plan.

Regarding playback software, there seem to be 3 buckets of approaches: 1) company has its own proprietary software; 2) company' server is Roon ready; 3) both 1) and 2). If you do not like Roon or do not want to be saddled with an annual software subscription plan then you should try to find a company that has developed and maintains its own software.

Regarding the sound, it is really hard to compare since being able to audition the server in your own system may not be possible. People tend to talk up the product they have so that isn't useful. A small group of people have owned more than 1 of these high priced servers so their opinion may be more valuable to you but you do have to understand why they switched.

Lots to think about...

kingkoopa

Oct 7, 2022
I think one of the considerations in selecting a server is to try to understand what each company's development and "stay current" plan is, assuming that is important to you. All these servers are basically computers running audio playback and library management software so it is important for them to have a plan.

Regarding playback software, there seem to be 3 buckets of approaches: 1) company has its own proprietary software; 2) company' server is Roon ready; 3) both 1) and 2). If you do not like Roon or do not want to be saddled with an annual software subscription plan then you should try to find a company that has developed and maintains its own software.

Regarding the sound, it is really hard to compare since being able to audition the server in your own system may not be possible. People tend to talk up the product they have so that isn't useful. A small group of people have owned more than 1 of these high priced servers so their opinion may be more valuable to you but you do have to understand why they switched.

Lots to think about...
So with Roon I picked up their lifetime subscription a while ago when they still offered that, so their subscription model is not at all a concern to me. And now with the Arc upgrade its been great because I can take my playlists and music with me out of the house. Which basically means I use Roon for 95% of listening, and I only use Auralics lightning DS for critical listening. I assume I'll be the same with any server I get, and the server would be useless to me without Roon.

But you're right. Lots to think about!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
So with Roon I picked up their lifetime subscription a while ago when they still offered that, so their subscription model is not at all a concern to me. And now with the Arc upgrade its been great because I can take my playlists and music with me out of the house. Which basically means I use Roon for 95% of listening, and I only use Auralics lightning DS for critical listening. I assume I'll be the same with any server I get, and the server would be useless to me without Roon.

But you're right. Lots to think about!

Sounds like Roon is a great option for you. I got the lifetime subscription as well but I never use it anymore.

kingkoopa

Oct 7, 2022
If you don't have an Antipodes dealer nearby, you can buy their products direct - they'll give you 30 days to return it if you don't like it. Pink Faun will do something similar, talk to Jord.

FWIW, one of the biggest improvements in my system was getting the Melco S100 switch and then adding a Farad Super3. You might want to start there before spending a lot more money on one of these servers.
The Melco switch looks cool. For me since I'm only shooting the music to one listening device I've just pulled a SFP fiber cable and plugged it into an Ether Regen. I'd consider a switch if I had more than one listening zone around the house that used anything more than a portable speaker.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
If you don't have an Antipodes dealer nearby, you can buy their products direct - they'll give you 30 days to return it if you don't like it. Pink Faun will do something similar, talk to Jord.

FWIW, one of the biggest improvements in my system was getting the Melco S100 switch and then adding a Farad Super3. You might want to start there before spending a lot more money on one of these servers.
This is correct, where Antipodes Audio has no dealer representation we offer a 30-day money-back return policy if in the unlikely event you are unhappy with the Antipodes sound/performance.

kingkoopa

Oct 7, 2022
This is correct, where Antipodes Audio has no dealer representation we offer a 30-day money-back return policy if in the unlikely event you are unhappy with the Antipodes sound/performance.
I really like that you guys and Pink Faun offer free shipping in the first instance. Really puts you guys in a great position for people that want to try your server. I don't see that with anyone else!

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I really like that you guys and Pink Faun offer free shipping in the first instance. Really puts you guys in a great position for people that want to try your server. I don't see that with anyone else!
Yes this is an awesome benefit, especially when dealers are few and far between.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
My friend owns Aurander W20SE, a wonderful machine with great sound quality i consider ordering myself one, however, the absence of roon support was a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: 7ryder

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
XDMS soundwise destroys Roon :)
Soundwise, so does Ideon's Absolute player. But I find Roon unbeatable as an interface, as HenryD noted above

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Soundwise, so does Ideon's Absolute player. But I find Roon unbeatable as an interface, as HenryD noted above
Do they have their own software player?
I always thought that the Absolute Stream works as Roon bridge.
Thx

Matt

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Do they have their own software player?
I always thought that the Absolute Stream works as Roon bridge.
Thx

Matt
You are right, it works as a Roon bridge, but it also incorporates an Ideon player which is part of the "Absolute Stream package". It's excellent soundwise.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I knew it was just a matter of time before people started posting telling everyone what sounds best. @kingkoopa the best advice I can give you is to use sites like this to find out about products. Use your ears to find out what sounds best to you.

Reactions: Zeotrope and VK-GR

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@kingkoopa
If you know Lucas Domansky you should give him a call and just discuss your wants and needs. I believe a DAC is just as important a component in your audio chain as a music server. Maybe you can accomplish both with an LDMS.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Respectfully, I would recommend you review your DAC before you invest in a server. You already have a reclocker / "usb filter" so, at this time, the challenge seems to be downstream; what's the point of improving the digital signal if you can't really hear the improvement?
Having owned the M-Scaler and TT2 myself, my recommendation would differ from this.

I ended up regretting my M-Scaler and wishing I had instead put those dollars towards the best server I could afford. The Antipodes K30 convinced me of the importance of "source first". That which the server is unable to retrieve can't be added back by something downstream. This was further reinforced recently as I've had a demo Antipodes K50 on loan to me for a few weeks. The improvements to tone, timbre and timing have been profound. [Caveat: PGGB plays a role in this.]

The TT2 was a good DAC, but swapping it for a Gustard x26pro brought a tremendous upgrade. Far better to have those additional dollars applied to the source IMHO.

There's a new Antipodes subform here and I recently shared more detailed thoughts on both my K30 and the K50 if anyone's interested.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
@kingkoopa
I am curious, what did you end up doing with your system? Did you ever buy a server?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing