Tape-ofiles in NYC area???

LCat

Aug 24, 2012
Just starting in this hobby - getin myself some decks ad so far playing pre-recorded 1/4 tracks from e-bay

Would love to meer some local people who are in to the R2R hobby to exchange some ideas, tapes and listen to different machines.

Have Otari MTR-15, 2 Technics RS-1500, Tascam 3030, Revox A-700 all across country waiting to ship :( and Tandberg 10xd and Td-20 already arrived.
Might pick up Otari 5050 tommorow as well

Intrested in exploring outboard amps, high quality heads, etc....

Will gladly host listening shootouts or just sessions in Long Island - greate listening room and as I hope pretty decent system to play on.

E-mail is leon [at] zodiac.tv

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 466
That's a grand setup! You certainly have beat me on the number of R2R decks :).

BTW, I changed the "@" sign in your email address to [at] so that spammers do not harvest it. Anyone wanting to send you email can make that manual substitution.

Thanks Amir - I should have thought about it.
As far as a descs - Payed good price for Otari TR-15 - rest is a cheap buys from a craigslist

I have an Otari 4C deck in my deck collection and it sounds wonderful. Some guys here go "real" (no pun intended) deep and do outboard electronics. I play way more vinyl than R2R tape and leave the series stuff to the "reel" men. I see you have a Walker and thus do "deep" vinyl... that's very cool. Welcome to the WBF!

Walker TT sweet. Tape is a fun game. 4 track pre-recorded tapes are not going to approach the level of your TT playback until you get heads wired out to outboard electronics and secure some 15 ips titles from the tape project or other sources that may have safety master dubs. Welcome to the tape club. Don't waste much money on eBay 4 tracks....you're better off with the vinyl. Myles on this site is in NYC....I'm sure he will chime in. Welcome aboard !

Walker TT sweet. Tape is a fun game. 4 track pre-recorded tapes are not going to approach the level of your TT playback until you get heads wired out to outboard electronics and secure some 15 ips titles from the tape project or other sources that may have safety master dubs. Welcome to the tape club. Don't waste much money on eBay 4 tracks....you're better off with the vinyl. Myles on this site is in NYC....I'm sure he will chime in. Welcome aboard !

Well - here is an intresting thing - while el-cheapo Pioneer 707 i was using for past 2 weeks is certanly very far from state of art playback for R2R it sounded REALLY good in my system with e-bay 4 tracks. While clearly loosing to Walker at frequncy extreems it's portailal of human voice was best I've ever had. I can't explain why but belivability and overall "singer in the room" was spooky - I guess sence of presence, purity and detail of midrange and most importantly PERFECT timing(I'm very sencetive to timing and for exampleallways hear digital jitter or needle drag) -just exquisit.

Can hardly wait for a better machines and most importantly better tapes

Tape-O-Files In Georgia Area

:) Hello LCat,

Welcome to a great audio forum. I feel very comfortable here and hope you do as well. I have about fifty 2 and 4 track tapes that I purchased from Ebay when I first developed an interest in reel to reel tape recording. Almost all of them suffer from the dreaded SSS and were thrown away. I did not want to take the time to bake, etc. I would advise being more than careful shopping Ebay for pre-recorded tapes.

I now have a Tascam 32-2B and a recently purchased 42B tape deck and love them both. My aim is to have cables run from the playback heads on the Tascam 42B and leave the 32-2B as is. Like yourself, I am looking for tape and audio friendly friends here in Georgia where I now reside who are as interested in reel to reel and analog audio as i am. I am sure they are here but I've not found them yet. And like yourself I too want to hear first class music systems as well as the Ampex, Studer and other high end tape decks. Again, welcome sir.

jazzbo

Last edited:
Thanks for kind words and warm welcome - lets really throw a listening party over weekend - i'm willing to host and do BBQ

Good morning Listens2Tubes,

You may have a point. When I lived in Baltimore I was ideally situated to visit Washington DC, VA, NJ and New York to fix my audio/tape addiction :)

The tech I've selected to modify my tape deck will be showing some of the amps, speakers and pre amps he has designed and built on Sept 18, 2012 So I will see who I meet there.

jazzbo

Are those Phy drivers you have? If so, would you mind opening another thread under SPEAKERS to tell us more? Thanks!

Last edited:

Agree totally ,aside I have had good luck with the Decca 4 track Stuff, not bad , better than the rest for sure ...

Where are you guys buying vinyl , eBay ..?
Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing