Tape Pancakes, Oh No!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But then I would face the Herculean task of figuring out whether I prefer MSB or Lampi.

No Marc, no computer will ever be connected to my system. I am quite sure I’m going to have enough trouble with tape.

Your future VTL Siegfried II's are embedded systems with several digital microprocessors, ADCs and DACs .... :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
But not in the signal path.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Another Johnson

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don’t agree, but I also don’t love all of the complex circuits in them. On the other hand I do appreciate the auto bias and the other control functions which minimize the likelihood of blow up.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Yes. Just do it in library rewind so it goes slowly in case there is an issue.

I second David. Need to use library wind. Gives a nice smooth pack also.

Larry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don’t agree, but I also don’t love all of the complex circuits in them. On the other hand I do appreciate the auto bias and the other control functions which minimize the likelihood of blow up.

IMHO what matters is the result, not the audiophile old dogmas. Probably after your years find that some digital induced noise can sound good you will start considering digital! :)

BTW, the Studer A80 is an all analog system - the logical command systems is static during operation - but the A820 is filled with very active microprocessors. The VTLs will find themselves in very good company ...

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
I’ve transferred pancake to metal reel dozens of times. It does require some care but it’s not really hard.

If you’re a visual learner, this video covers it.

https://www.analogaudiodesign.fr/

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’ve transferred pancake to metal reel dozens of times. It does require some care but it’s not really hard.

If you’re a visual learner, this video covers it.

Thank you, Skylab. But doesn’t this video show it the hard way (Disassembling each reel, putting the tape on the reel, and reassembling each reel)?

I prefer the idea of disassembling only one reel (a plate?), putting the pancake on the open reel half, spooling the pancake tape onto a complete reel, and then rewinding it back on to a complete reel.

Reactions: Skylab

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Thank you, Skylab. But doesn’t this video show it the hard way (Disassembling each reel, putting the tape on the reel, and reassembling each reel)?

I prefer the idea of disassembling only one reel (a plate?), putting the pancake on the open reel half, spooling the pancake tape onto a complete reel, and then rewinding it back on to a complete reel.

Yes, you’re 100% right - with your console-style deck you can use the platter method if you prefer. I have only upright decks so that’s not a safe option for me ;)

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Hi Ron,

I guess that you have pancake plates for your A820. I always buy my tapes in pancakes and transfer them on 12 inch reels I purchase from Feinwerktechnik (www.tonbandspule.de). These are the best reels I know. I believe that they have a US distributor (Soren if I am not mistaken) and they also have an Ebay store.

Just put the pancake on the plate and spool it into a reel. Once done, replace the the plate by a reel and you are done.

Kind regards,

dcc
exactly like I do

15IPS

Sep 14, 2018
Plastic. -- Why --?

1. They don't warp.
2. Assembling hubs and flanges is nearly impossible to get right. The hardware usually supplied with them cant develop the torque to get the reel to stay aligned.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Operation Pancake is a success!

Larry, I did not do it your easy way. I decided to do it the time consuming, safe way -- by sandwiching the pancake between two flanges and screwing it all together.

From where do you purchase reel boxes?

Reactions: Another Johnson

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I avoid reels as much as possible, nearly anything I record is on AEG DIN hubs, and not just for the cost reason. Yes, the cost is close to zero, as opposed to $40-60 for a decent reel, but the main reason is convenience.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Bags Unlimited. I usually buy large quantities (25 or 50 at a time). Larry

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
These are the only pancakes I don’t like. ;)

I strongly recommend the carbon fiber reels from RX Reels. Best I have tried so far.

Reactions: astrotoy

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
These are the only pancakes I don’t like. ;)

I strongly recommend the carbon fiber reels from RX Reels. Best I have tried so far.
I love mine as well... bought one for each machine.... but too pricey if you're using to mount pancakes.

Reactions: Lee and astrotoy

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
If we consider the subject of tape reels seriously, then we find that the only truly good kind is the one with centering hub. That is the only type that keeps the flanges perfectly centered. All other kinds let the flanges slide with respect to the hub, resulting in annoying eccentricity. Simply put there is nothing in their design that assures the precision, regardless of the material they use.

That good kind is extremely rare - I have only a few of them, but as soon as you put it on the machine you know you are dealing with something special. The ones I have are mostly made by Scotch, and there are also the very rare ones made by Mechlabor.

In wider sizes Ampex also made exceptionally good reels. Here are the pictures of reels with the centering hub.

The key feature is the hub protruding through a larger hole in the flanges, and usually there is very precise fit there. All screws are male, and they screw into the hub.

The top picture is of a Mechlabor reel... your chances of encountering it are slim. It exudes the feeling of high precision. Its hub, however, is plastic. The second one is by Scotch.

Mechlabor Reel.jpg

Scotch Reel.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
If we consider the subject of tape reels seriously, then we find that the only truly good kind is the one with centering hub. That is the only type that keeps the flanges perfectly centered. All other kinds let the flanges slide with respect to the hub, resulting in annoying eccentricity. Simply put there is nothing in their design that assures the precision, regardless of the material they use.

That good kind is extremely rare - I have only a few of them, but as soon as you put it on the machine you know you are dealing with something special. The ones I have are mostly made by Scotch, and there are also the very rare ones made by Mechlabor.

In wider sizes Ampex also made exceptionally good reels. Here are the pictures of reels with the centering hub.

The key feature is the hub protruding through a larger hole in the flanges, and usually there is very precise fit there. All screws are male, and they screw into the hub.

The top picture is of a Mechlabor reel... your chances of encountering it are slim. It exudes the feeling of high precision. Its hub, however, is plastic. The second one is by Scotch.

View attachment 107055

View attachment 107054
The hubs on the RX Reels are very high precision as well. CNC machined aluminum I believe.

And the stiffness of the carbon fiber keeps the flanges perfectly straight. One of the things I hate about R2R is the variability of the flanges even on better reels like ATR, etc.

Reactions: Bruce B

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing