Tar

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From writer-producer-director Todd Field comes TÁR, starring Cate Blanchett as Lydia Tár, the groundbreaking conductor of a major German Orchestra. We meet Tár at the height of her career, as she's preparing both a book launch and much-anticipated live performance of Mahler's Fifth Symphony. Over the ensuing weeks her life begins to unravel in a singularly modern way. The result is a searing examination of power, and its impact and durability in today's society.

I took KeithR's advice and watched this film last night. First off it dragged slowly through the story which ran about 2 1/2 hours but nonetheless it was a very interesting story which drew us in. The film itself should be nominated for Best Film however I just don't think it will win . BUT, the big news of this film was Cate Blanchett in the starring role which was flawless from start to finish. IMHO I have yet to see a better performance this year by an actress in a lead performance.

So Im locked in on Brendan Fraser as Best Actor in The Whale and Cate Blanchett as Best Actress for this year's Academy awards

TÁR - Official Trailer [HD]

Reactions: GSOphile

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
From writer-producer-director Todd Field comes TÁR, starring Cate Blanchett as Lydia Tár, the groundbreaking conductor of a major German Orchestra. We meet Tár at the height of her career, as she's preparing both a book launch and much-anticipated live performance of Mahler's Fifth Symphony. Over the ensuing weeks her life begins to unravel in a singularly modern way. The result is a searing examination of power, and its impact and durability in today's society.

I took KeithR's advice and watched this film last night. First off it dragged slowly through the story which ran about 2 1/2 hours but nonetheless it was a very interesting story which drew us in. The film itself should be nominated for Best Film however I just don't think it will win . BUT, the big news of this film was Cate Blanchett in the starring role which was flawless from start to finish. IMHO I have yet to see a better performance this year by an actress in a lead performance.

So Im locked in on Brendan Fraser as Best Actor in The Whale and Cate Blanchett as Best Actress for this year's Academy awards

TÁR - Official Trailer [HD]

She's excellent.

Reactions: Steve Williams

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I agree it was too long (but what isn’t these days) although sped up in the last hour. It was wonderfully shot and directed and while Michelle Yeoh is neck and neck with Cate Blanchett, I think the latter prevails. It’s definitely a “film” but is an area we really don’t know much about (conducting) and I preferred it to Banshees and Fablemans. I think Everything Everywhere may win though.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well this is where we disagree. You know my feelings about The Banshees of Inisherin. I loved ecverything about it except the story. It was a piece of crap IMHO. Having said that and again IMO, Everything Everywhere was one of the dumbest films I’ve ever seen. In fact I struggled to watch it. If this is the type of movie that wins Best Picture then heaven help Hollywood. There are so many better movies than that one.this year

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
Here's an article about Blanchett's preparations for the part. I was interested to note she actually played the musical segment in the film of Bach's WTC. She is the very definition of a professional actor. I’m looking forward to seeing the film.

(Picky/Snarky section: With all her study and prep for the role, I wish someone had shown Galadriel what an upbeat and an ictus are. End of Picky/Snarky section)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing