The 6 ways of power filtration

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I'm no tech, but here's how I see it:

1990s-2003
1)Capacitor/inductor/coil based (Shunyata, Audience). Simple components placed over the lines, in the hope of breaking-up noise. I don't think these worked too well. The Teflon-equipped Audience (2008) was an improvement, but at a high cost.

2)Big transformer (Silver Circle, Torus). Something else placed in the power-path and this time more effective. Still not perfect, though.

3)Sine-wave generation (PS Audio, Pure Power). Essentially a power amp and IMO trying to do too much. The reviews were strong, at the time. But some of these (reviewers) now say they're only a partial solution.

2014 -on
4)Pull-away or drain noise (High Fidelity, Entreq, Akiko, Nordost QKore). Using magnets, rare-minerals or secret-ingredients. Some of these are placed in the direct-path of the power. Others are plugged into a power-bar (alongside the components) or into a component's rear ground plug.

5)Balanced power (Equi=Core). It's been tried before, but only in the last few years has it been good enough to get talked about.

6)Re-chargeable power tank (Stromtank, Tesla). It's not a big battery, it doesn't contain the chemistry associated. Great for reserves, but needing an inverter, it's unclear how it removes the noise that came when charging.

Added 7)Low-frequency pulses (that 'tune' electrical fields -Nordost QRT, ADD-Powr)

Hybrids (Audioquest Niagara, Synergistics). Pull noise out, then add reserves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocoa

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
1. These work very well for removing noise. But they are usually designed very poorly for audio playback. There is no question that measured noise is reduced, if there was all passive speakers with a crossover would be giant piles of shit that didn't work at all because they use the same type of parts. Also Teflon capacitors have higher 3rd order distortion.

2. They aren't all made equal! They are very effective for noise but not always audio playback.

3. At least these can be power factor corrected, but how low is the noise or what they impart on the audio? Good question since swapping the incoming powercord on them can make it sound like swapping stereos. But they do excellent things for people in areas with very poor power that's spotty.

4. Ha, those don't decrease noise they increase it. Facts of physics as we know them. That doesn't mean you won't like them, many people do.

5. Been around a long time. They work well for certain types of noise, but not necessarily anything audio specific. Are they worth it? That's up to you. They really don't do much more than an isolation transformer for audio.

6. I've wondered, too, but as far as I can tell it works just like 3 when connected.

Reactions: Amir

j.phelan

Mar 24, 2014
I found a 7th way -low-frequency pulses that 'tune' electrical fields (Nordost QRT, ADD-Powr).

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
Where does current Shunyata passive approach fit?
Shunyata uses a low density material around each wire, which has the effectiveness of a Ferrite ring but does not "choke" the current. They also arrange their multiple strands in a tube shape. This flows current similar to a copper tube, but can be bent and curved like the average cord. Some of their more expensive cables have a silver core inside the copper tubular arrangement.
These cable companies get innovative and experimental. Some use flattened wire, some use oval shaped, rectangular, some put a thin insulation on each strand, then there is the alloys, foam insulation, loose tube, and a few others. They all end up with a slightly different sound.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I have used almost all of the 5 or 6 types you mentioned. I still use them all, depending on what sounds the best to me.
I like the Nordost QX4 which is similar to the new AddPower products. I never did like the small plug in units like Quiet Lines or Noise Harvesters, or even the early magnetic barrels (MC 0.5). I kept one and bought one of their later more refined units. So I suggest buying more substantial products, and make sure you like them before keeping them.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Many say all the above which unit does what and what that unit does not do right. I know a good few philes who enjoy their systems more than ever after getting rid of all power conditioning, all had the same story, the Soul and emotional involvement came back and that a good power cord did more than their conditioners did and this was across different types of conditioners sold in the USA. I just saw a video on Jay's Audio Youtube site and he tried many of the very top expensive ones, said all they did good, but in the end like the sound of his system direct from the wall, the same story music had an emotional connection again. Think I'll give this a go this weekend. Just received my new AQ Firebird and Dragon power cords.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This thread is very helpful for a non-techie like me. Does anyone where Transparent fits into the matrix?
Again non audio terms made to fit lol. if there is any topic being exploited a high near the top is power conditioning
Its not that they don’t work nor not needed . But as you said what’s good ?? well you need to read plenty and while I can make some comments it’s not fair to hurt those who do try and make great products
lets have KINGREX jump in here
I know him and he does know what is good or not and helps
many in audio. a good man who does do and know plenty of what we need. He is a lics electrical contractor and has put many hours / days of his time to help and perform top levels of workmanship in this

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
I'm no tech, but here's how I see it:

1990s-2003
1)Capacitor/inductor/coil based (Shunyata, Audience). Simple components placed over the lines, in the hope of breaking-up noise. I don't think these worked too well. The Teflon-equipped Audience (2008) was an improvement, but at a high cost.

2)Big transformer (Silver Circle, Torus). Something else placed in the power-path and this time more effective. Still not perfect, though.

3)Sine-wave generation (PS Audio, Pure Power). Essentially a power amp and IMO trying to do too much. The reviews were strong, at the time. But some of these (reviewers) now say they're only a partial solution.

2014 -on
4)Pull-away or drain noise (High Fidelity, Entreq, Akiko, Nordost QKore). Using magnets, rare-minerals or secret-ingredients. Some of these are placed in the direct-path of the power. Others are plugged into a power-bar (alongside the components) or into a component's rear ground plug.

5)Balanced power (Equi=Core). It's been tried before, but only in the last few years has it been good enough to get talked about.

6)Re-chargeable power tank (Stromtank, Tesla). It's not a big battery, it doesn't contain the chemistry associated. Great for reserves, but needing an inverter, it's unclear how it removes the noise that came when charging.

Added 7)Low-frequency pulses (that 'tune' electrical fields -Nordost QRT, ADD-Powr)

Hybrids (Audioquest Niagara, Synergistics). Pull noise out, then add reserves.
0) Variac: First developed by General Radio aka Genrad in 1933. Original design function was to vary the AC power voltage, eg, 0-140V, to see what were the characteristics and tolerances of the DUT or design.

With audio equipment a Variac stabilizes voltage which is a boon when one sees utility voltage vary all over the place. Since transformer based, also cuts back on AC noise sometimes remarkably. (I've tested this.)

Useful, too, for bringing up (old) gear that has not been run in a long period to allow internal parts to stabilize.

Variacs can be very inexpensive today. I've tried the more 'modern' designs and keep coming back to the Variac.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing