The best and worst at rmaf 2012

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I bought a pair of MIT Magnum interconnect cables, still burning-in but..so far so good!

MBL was just OK for me this time, have heard them better. I heard the mono Miyahima cartridge .. jaw-dropping!

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
IMO the Focal, Aesthetix demo next door with the smaller Focal outperformed the Focal, Soulution room

I did not get over to the smaller Focal room-so much to do in such a short time window. Was that the Musical Surroundings room?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I found it was not that easy to point to a a truly "best sound of the show" this year. To be honest, there were few memorable "best sounds", whereas there were far more "worst sounds". However, unquestionably, one of the most extraordinary demos was the Sanders electrostatic speaker system. I'll tell you this, it may be a "one seat" system, but it has to be the hands down hi-end bargain of the century. 13K buys it all- and that includes speakers, crossover, the incredibly well-reviewed Magtech 500w amp (REG in TAS loves this thing), preamp and cables. It may even include a bow for all I know. As far as speaker cables, I swear Roger must have gone to Radio Shack and asked for something inexpensive to use. When they showed him 18-2 lamp cord, he must have said, "got anything thinner?". I'm telling you, if I didn't hear it I would never have believed it. He played some powerful drum material that knocked me on my ass, in addition to the usual sonic bon bons we typically hear at shows. Extraordinary resolution, transparency, and most importantly, musicality. All at price that can't be touched by anything else, anywhere at anytime. A total and complete mindfk.

Moving up into the upper echelon, the Aesthetix demo on the mezzanine (can't remember the Denver dealer who sponsored the room) was extraordinary. However, that only became clear when they stopped using the zillion dollar Clearaudio turntable and played CD or computer. That's right, you heard it here first. In fact, the most disappointing thing globally at the show was the often pitiful performance of turntables, in the same booth as a modest CD. Why take a zillion dollar table to a show if it isn't set up well is the question I kept asking myself? But once Jim switched to CD computer material, his modest 8K CD player, and 8K 300w hybrid monoblock amps through the Focal Maestro (50K) speakers were magnificent playing Steely Dan and other assorted material. In fact, that room sounded far superior to the more expensive top of the line Focal Grand Utopias running on Solution gear just down the hall. (Does anyone really thing the Solution gear sounds good on anything except Jon Valin?). No need to spend that kind of money folks. The modest (for high end) Aesthetix/Focal stuff was superb.

I also agree that the FM Acoustics, Venture speaker demo was outstanding, and would probably get my vote for the best "price no object" class of gear at the show, although overall I'm not sure that is was truly better than the Aesthetix/Focal demo described above.

Lastly, I am obliged to nominate the Cardas room for "best sound at the show". What, you say? The Cardas room was a dry demo, and there was no sound. Exactly.

For me the Sanders where the best and 5 or 6 others i really liked. Mr. Sanders really has it going on, the price is right, the sound is right, just buy his system and forget it go to listening to music and buying software. It is the way audio should be done. He was using a $400 dollar Tascam for a source. I could not imagine a better source on it. These speakers are for planer guys that are use to the open, detailed, live musical sound. Lots of people now are into the Hollywood Hifi!!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Robert and Doug were mentioning at dinner about the King planar speaker and how good their sound was, I just could not make it to their room, any other opinions?

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I came home with a pair of 1.5m High Fidelity Interconnects to evaluate. I have been listening yesterday and plan to listen more today. So far so good-very good actually. Very spacious and three-dimensional. Soundstage is wider than my reference cable and it's very composed. I'll have more to say once I listen for a couple of weeks.
Regarding RMAF I thought the sound was much better this year than in the past. Perhaps after setting up a room in Jacksonville this past spring made me realize just how incredibly difficult it is to not only get your stuff to your room in one piece, but then to go into an unknown room and in less than one day get it to sound decent-a herculean task.
I really liked the Vandersteen 7's with ARC and AMG table in the big end room on the 9th floor. In years past I never really paid much attention to Vandersteen speakers-they were unremarkable, plus the aesthetics don't do much for me-kind of boring looking. They were playing a fantastic record by Ike Quebec called Heavy Soul and it was magnificent! They put my For Duke record on and it imaged incredibly well with the sax sounding darn near outside the right wall. Very luscious sound indeed.
I thought the Lawrence room with Rowland gear was great. The speakers sounded to have very low distortion and coloration, and had perhaps the most balanced sound of any speaker I heard at the show.
The Vaughn Cabernet II's were also very nice. At 100db sensitivity they are up my alley. 9k for a full range nicely balanced speaker and one that can be driven by low power tubes.
I also liked the FAL room a lot. Very nice articulation and very fast with great depth. Mr. Furuyama was also a kick! Very funny guy.
The Laufer room with Leonardo speakers presented a huge, live soundstage. Closing my eyes, I could have fooled myself that I was at a live concert. Soeakers are brand new and they are still working out what ancillary gear goes best with them.
The other big room I hit was the Focal/Soulution room. Janis Ian's Breaking Silence was effortless, and Jazz at the Pawnshop was captured in all it's delicate, playful glory. I wrote in my notes, effortless and big.

The HF cables are nice! I have been using them but not cheap either.

Bill Demars

Apr 28, 2010
East Greenbush, N.Y.
www.beautyofsound.com
Bill, hello from a fellow Ryan Adams fanatic!

I remember now. You were taping at the board in San Diego. I checked my emails from long ago. You're a tennis fan also! I may have used your tape either for a fix or a matrix??

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Robert and Doug were mentioning at dinner about the King planar speaker and how good their sound was, I just could not make it to their room, any other opinions?

I really did not like the sound of the Kings at the show. The reviewer from Dagogo was in the room and said they have to have the grills off the front and back. He bought the pair he reviewed. I have heard other kings that i did like. To me compared to the Sanders not really close. How he has integrated that speaker is beyond me the bass was fantastic IMO.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
This was my first show. I had high expectations, but soon realized how bad show conditions can be. IMO most of the systems sounded bland at best, including most of the big hitters. There were only around 5 rooms that were memorable. But I realize that many of these systems would sound better under different conditions.

IMO the best room was the Evolution Acoustics room -- it was interesting that they showed with BMC instead of Dartzeel and yet they still hit it out of the park. Some other decent rooms were FMA, MBL, and Doshi/Wilson. There might be one or two others that I'm forgeting.

As a WattPuppy owner I was looking forward to hearing the Alexia, but thought the demo was unimpressive - especially with all those pricey electronics. I look forward to hearing these again in a better room. And more Evolution Acoustics too...

Forgot to mention Vivid/Luxman. Definitely in my top 5.

I liked the Evolutions the tweeter could be a touch hottish but with the room they are working with and B.M.C. electronics maybe a factor. My friend is buying a pair he has a big room so we will get to play with them to see how they really do.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I remember now. You were taping at the board in San Diego. I checked my emails from long ago. You're a tennis fan also! I may have used your tape either for a fix or a matrix??

Bill, your memory serves you well!!

The Ryan Adams community is in great debt to you for your efforts. i believe I have all your recordings.

You are a true gentleman!

Nice taste in gear too!

And yes, MASSIVE tennis fan. Certifiable to tell you the truth.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I came home with a pair of 1.5m High Fidelity Interconnects to evaluate. I have been listening yesterday and plan to listen more today. So far so good-very good actually. Very spacious and three-dimensional. Soundstage is wider than my reference cable and it's very composed. I'll have more to say once I listen for a couple of weeks.
Regarding RMAF I thought the sound was much better this year than in the past. Perhaps after setting up a room in Jacksonville this past spring made me realize just how incredibly difficult it is to not only get your stuff to your room in one piece, but then to go into an unknown room and in less than one day get it to sound decent-a herculean task.
I really liked the Vandersteen 7's with ARC and AMG table in the big end room on the 9th floor. In years past I never really paid much attention to Vandersteen speakers-they were unremarkable, plus the aesthetics don't do much for me-kind of boring looking. They were playing a fantastic record by Ike Quebec called Heavy Soul and it was magnificent! They put my For Duke record on and it imaged incredibly well with the sax sounding darn near outside the right wall. Very luscious sound indeed.
I thought the Lawrence room with Rowland gear was great. The speakers sounded to have very low distortion and coloration, and had perhaps the most balanced sound of any speaker I heard at the show.
The Vaughn Cabernet II's were also very nice. At 100db sensitivity they are up my alley. 9k for a full range nicely balanced speaker and one that can be driven by low power tubes.
I also liked the FAL room a lot. Very nice articulation and very fast with great depth. Mr. Furuyama was also a kick! Very funny guy.
The Laufer room with Leonardo speakers presented a huge, live soundstage. Closing my eyes, I could have fooled myself that I was at a live concert. Soeakers are brand new and they are still working out what ancillary gear goes best with them.
The other big room I hit was the Focal/Soulution room. Janis Ian's Breaking Silence was effortless, and Jazz at the Pawnshop was captured in all it's delicate, playful glory. I wrote in my notes, effortless and big.
Bill, thanks for the comments on the cable.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This has all the features of the Mytek plus a bunch more at a MSRP of $2k.

Really? Are you sure? The DAC 2 HDC will play back 24/192 files via USB, but I don't think it plays back DSD files in native DSD. The Benchmark site says it does native DSD conversion. That tells me that it converts DSD files to PCM. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Really? Are you sure? The DAC 2 HDC will play back 24/192 files via USB, but I don't think it plays back DSD files in native DSD. The Benchmark site says it does native DSD conversion. That tells me that it converts DSD files to PCM. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me.

I may have misheard or misinterpreted the exhibitor, but I'm almost positive he said "native playback of DSD files". Anyone else hear that at RAMF?

addendum: looking at the website appears to confirm what I was told, i.e., conversion of native DSD to analog (emphasis mine).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I may have misheard or misinterpreted the exhibitor, but I'm almost positive he said "native playback of DSD files". Anyone else hear that at RAMF?

addendum: looking at the website appears to confirm what I was told, i.e., conversion of native DSD to analog (emphasis mine).

Here is what their website says:

Native DSD Conversion

All digital inputs on the DAC2 HGC support native DSD conversion. DoP 1.0 is automatically detected on all digital inputs, and the system seamlessly switches to native DSD conversion. DoP 1.0 is supported by many media players, and DSD downloads are now available from several sources.

So if native DSD "conversion" doesn't mean conversion to PCM, please tell me what is means.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Here is what their website says:

Native DSD Conversion

All digital inputs on the DAC2 HGC support native DSD conversion. DoP 1.0 is automatically detected on all digital inputs, and the system seamlessly switches to native DSD conversion. DoP 1.0 is supported by many media players, and DSD downloads are now available from several sources.

So if native DSD "conversion" doesn't mean conversion to PCM, please tell me what is means.

Native DSD conversion means the DAC converts DSD digital datastream directly to analog.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Native DSD conversion means the DAC converts DSD digital datastream directly to analog.

Ok. I stand corrected. Benchmark didn't use the word "conversion" to talk about playing back any other digital file formats which is why I thought they were converting the DSD stream to PCM.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Good to know though that you believe Ed's eplanation but not mine using the same words :D

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Worldcat~ what has been your reference interconnect in the past? And did you see Vytas at the show?

Never been big on high end cables so nothing that special i have used cardas neutral ref and golden ref also Nuforce cables which i think was better. I know Rick pretty well at HF cable's so i tried them. I liked them a lot just real expensive. He will send them out for you to demo so no risk on your part.:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing