The best and worst at rmaf 2012

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just wanted to post some quick thoughts on what I thought was the best of show and the worst of show. I will also include the weirdest effect of the show:

Best of show-Cost be damned, it was the MBL room for me. I spent a fair amount of time at the show with Myles and listened to his music over and over again in rooms too numerous to count. Myles has an ancient CD by the Fairfield Four. This is an a cappella group that is older than dirt. They have a bass singer whose onions are dragging the ground. There is one particular cut and I think it is “Roll Jordan Roll” that just highlights the bass singer. This cut sounded great in some rooms, but it sounded unbelievable in the MBL room (or it sounded believable). Everyone who heard it was blown away and Myles was constantly asked who the group was.

Best of show for mere mortals-Hands down for me it was Carl’s room with the Nola KO speakers powered by the ARC REF 5SE, the CD8, and the ARC REF 75 amp. The KO speakers are something very special-at least to me. Caesar beat me to the punch on these. I loved them.

Worst sound of the show-The room that had the newly revived Aragon amp and Thiele speakers with a Cayin tube CD player. The sound was so thin and bright I wanted to run screaming from the room. It was just horrible sounding. I don’t know where to point the finger because I have never heard any of this gear before. Maybe the Aragon brand shouldn’t have been brought back from the dead. Maybe the Thiele speakers suck. Maybe the Cayin CD player is truly horrible. Add the three together and you have AM radio type sound on a bad ionosphere day.

Weirdest sound effect-It had to be the Avalon room for me. There has to be some serious jigger-pookey going on with the crossover networks in these speakers because the soundstage on every track was 15’ behind the plane of the speakers. It’s kind of a neat parlor trick, but I think it would get old quick just as any gimmick that makes every recording sound the same does(calling Dr. Bose…).

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I just wanted to post some quick thoughts on what I thought was the best of show and the worst of show. I will also include the weirdest effect of the show:

Best of show-Cost be damned, it was the MBL room for me. I spent a fair amount of time at the show with Myles and listened to his music over and over again in rooms too numerous to count. Myles has an ancient CD by the Fairfield Four. This is an a cappella group that is older than dirt. They have a bass singer whose onions are dragging the ground. There is one particular cut and I think it is “Roll Jordan Roll” that just highlights the bass singer. This cut sounded great in some rooms, but it sounded unbelievable in the MBL room (or it sounded believable). Everyone who heard it was blown away and Myles was constantly asked who the group was.

Best of show for mere mortals-Hands down for me it was Carl’s room with the Nola KO speakers powered by the ARC REF 5SE, the CD8, and the ARC REF 75 amp. The KO speakers are something very special-at least to me. Caesar beat me to the punch on these. I loved them.

Worst sound of the show-The room that had the newly revived Aragon amp and Thiele speakers with a Cayin tube CD player. The sound was so thin and bright I wanted to run screaming from the room. It was just horrible sounding. I don’t know where to point the finger because I have never heard any of this gear before. Maybe the Aragon brand shouldn’t have been brought back from the dead. Maybe the Thiele speakers suck. Maybe the Cayin CD player is truly horrible. Add the three together and you have AM radio type sound on a bad ionosphere day.

Weirdest sound effect-It had to be the Avalon room for me. There has to be some serious jigger-pookey going on with the crossover networks in these speakers because the soundstage on every track was 15’ behind the plane of the speakers. It’s kind of a neat parlor trick, but I think it would get old quick just as any gimmick that makes every recording sound the same does(calling Dr. Bose…).

Alrighty! So, a couple questions: there is a new cable "High Fidelity" (i think Virtual Dynamics designer is behind it). Do you know if you heard a system using it? And in the Devore room, it looked like they were using Magnetic Line amps - a company that makes a crazy looking 'stack' that look like old WE amps- I don't think this company was formally listed as 'showing' and doubt the big WE style stack amp was there, but curious about that company as well.
Thanks for the capsule.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Alrighty! So, a couple questions: there is a new cable "High Fidelity" (i think Virtual Dynamics designer is behind it). Do you know if you heard a system using it?

Honestly, I don't know if I heard those cables in any room. Everybody seemed to have cables that resembled Anaconda snakes and I'm talking both speaker and PC cables. If your cables aren't at least as thick as your arms, well, your just not hip. Sorry I can't give you any insight into the High Fidelity cables.

And in the Devore room, it looked like they were using Magnetic Line amps - a company that makes a crazy looking 'stack' that look like old WE amps- I don't think this company was formally listed as 'showing' and doubt the big WE style stack amp was there, but curious about that company as well.
Thanks for the capsule.

I think I have a picture of their amp. If the pictures I took from my Iphone came out worth a crap I will post some tomorrow. The amp looked very retro, but it was sitting on the side wall on display and not being played when I was in the room. It caught my attention which is why I took a picture of it.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Would have been interesting to hear what people might have thought if they had a Wilson/Spectral system there, as in CAS 2011. But they didn't so they can't.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Would have been interesting to hear what people might have thought if they had a Wilson/Spectral system there, as in CAS 2011. But they didn't so they can't.

Dave Wilson seems to prefer VTL electronics only for his exhibits.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Veloce Pre is always great. I thought the Raidho two ways sounded awesome. There was a newcomer that I was looking forward to hearing: Analog Domain. I listened for a little bit. The sound stage was flat. The amps are like $150,000.

The Lansche with Ypsilon was also really good. The Venture with FM was good, not great. Estelon with Vitus was very good.

The biggest revelation for me with the Lightharmonic DAC. I talked to Larry Ho; great guy. His DAC is really very special. The sound is unlike most any other DACs i've heard; sounded alot like my DAC. :) The lightharmonic was in two rooms. It sounded best in the Von Schweikert and KR audio room.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Veloce Pre is always great. I thought the Raidho two ways sounded awesome. There was a newcomer that I was looking forward to hearing: Analog Domain. I listened for a little bit. The sound stage was flat. The amps are like $150,000. I noticed the "Wizard" posted that he thought they were one of the best of show at RMAF. If he was even there, I really question his listening preferences or whether he actually heard anything else at the show.

The Lansche with Ypsilon was also really good. The Venture with FM was good, not great. Estelon with Vitus was very good.

The biggest revelation for me with the Lightharmonic DAC. I talked to Larry Ho; great guy. His DAC is really very special. The sound is unlike most any other DACs i've heard; sounded alot like my DAC. :) The lightharmonic was in two rooms. It sounded best in the Von Schweikert and KR audio room.

Just landed

Wow. We sure hear different you and I. I thought FMA with Venture was wonderful. As for a $35k DAC, well need I say more

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Myles owns a CD? :p LOL

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Did anyone hear the Veloce pre and amps run on battery? Any thoughts on sound?

I can give you the low down re the line stage:I've had both the Gen 1 and now have the Gen 2 with DR 6H30's in my system. I think the Gen 2 is demonstrably better sounding in my system than an admittedly brief several hours listening to the Gen 1 version, comparing it to my long-time Lamm L2 line stage. But feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
@Dr. Williams
The price is $20,000. It's only more if you want a separate DAC for DSD. If you were shopping around for a discrete resistor ladder DAC, you would find their price to be very reasonable for what is offered. Check out the MSB prices and you will get a feel for what I'm talking about.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As an aside on another topic can you guys remember the buzz last year re Electrocompaniet. It was at the show and the room was poorly visited and no one seemed to care. So has it become a thing of the past

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I heard DACs at the show under $2K that were IMO every bit (no pun intended) as good

Sorry for misquoting the price but even for $20k I wouldn't bite

One of the DACs that fits my tastes to a t, if I had a large collection of high resolution PCM, I'd bite.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Alrighty! So, a couple questions: there is a new cable "High Fidelity" (i think Virtual Dynamics designer is behind it). Do you know if you heard a system using it? And in the Devore room, it looked like they were using Magnetic Line amps - a company that makes a crazy looking 'stack' that look like old WE amps- I don't think this company was formally listed as 'showing' and doubt the big WE style stack amp was there, but curious about that company as well.
Thanks for the capsule.

I have the HF cables :) I've been waiting for the phono cable (that just picked up at RMAF from Rick) before giving them a listen. Personally preferred the sound of John's speakers driven by ARC's integrated amp.

I think that store downtown In Living Color carries those as many refer to it as the Frankenamps.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing