The [coffee snobs'] espresso thread

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Sorry I missed this! I've seen the Robot and some other similar devices. I assume it's very similar to the Forge, but maybe the design provides better leverage, the Forge does take a decent amount of force to achieve 9 bars. It's not too much, but I guess that's relative. I think some may find it requires too much force to easily use.

I'd expect the results to be identical as long as they can both be preheated similarly, that's the big issue with both of them vs machines with boilers. OTOH boilers take some time to heat up, some machines require 45 min to get to ideal temps, while a kettle can get boiling very quickly. With the Forge, I put it on top of the kettle w/o it's basket, it fits on a std gooseneck kettle you'd use for pourover nicely. Then I further preheat it by using a blank portafilter basket used for backflushing. I also use a stainless steel mesh cover on top of the basket so when you pour in the hot water it doesn't disturb the puck (link below).

Appreciate the detailed reply. My feeling is you are correct they both result in a highly similar output where effort has been put in.

From a glance it was hard to assign how they might differ. Other than possible injuries.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing