The Digital Director - A new MSB product improving everything from the source to the output

Bones13

Jan 11, 2024
USA
That’s what one would indeed expect if you read the marketing comms about the DD and indeed what one would conclude for the Quad USB module. One little problem though for the AES input: on the latest Premier version, the AES is fixed on the standard input/output module. So, the question is if the S/PDIF and AES inputs will be ”steered” by the DD throug the Pro-ISL link.
View attachment 96585

I emailed MSB about this question. I’m loving my MSB Premier DAC. I use Renderer v2 for Roon, using a NUC running ROCK in the server room. (OK the upper shelf in my wife’s closet where the cable modem and router/switch are already) I also use TOSLink from my TV for video watching, and the RCA SPDIF for a Sonos Port input.

Back on track. All the fixed SPDIF inputs on the Premier DAC are disabled by the Premier Digital Director. I was told that the DD comes with the 2 optical modules that fill the slots open on the Premier DAC, and an SPDIF module to plug into the DD. When I order the DD (pending spousal approval) I’ll also get the Quad Rate USB for connection from a computer. That will leave one expansion slot open for any unexpected new modules such as an HDMI input, or the module I suggested to them: a phono input module. (RIAA circuit, then A2D to feed into the DAC)

Vince Galbo

MSB Technology USA
Nov 12, 2020
Hello, Vince Galbo here. All input modules that were in the Premier DAC move to the Premier Director. The Premier Director will come with your choice of either an RCA coax or AES/XLR input module that gets installed in the Director. Please let me know if I have answered your question or if you have any other questions. Thanks for the copy!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Nice to hear from you Vince.

What’s the approximate latency of a Reference with the Director in the chain? My reason for asking is to see if it’d work with the available distance delay in a system also used for home theater.

Vince Galbo

MSB Technology USA
Nov 12, 2020
Thank you, and thank you for your question. Our DACs have a "video mode" button on the remote that reduces the latency for video. The video mode should be turned off again for critical listening.

Reactions: Armsan

Emorante

Jul 8, 2017
Italy
Hi Vince, speaking of video, I'm waiting for a software fix to be able to continue using the bypass function, as I did before introducing the digital director to my reference system.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Reactions: 7ryder and Armsan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing