The Drifters-Which Era Do You Prefer?

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
I think that just about anyone who has listened to R&B loves The Drifters, now as there were two sets of Drifters and almost as many lead singers as hits, do you prefer any grouping? for me I love em all from the great Clyde McPhatter to the soulful Ben E.King and Johnny Moore.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I think that just about anyone who has listened to R&B loves The Drifters, now as there were two sets of Drifters and almost as many lead singers as hits, do you prefer any grouping? for me I love em all from the great Clyde McPhatter to the soulful Ben E.King and Johnny Moore.

me too

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Actually the Drifters and Boxtops sang on my wedding night in ''87. They sang at the Officers Club at Cannon AFB where I was stationed.
Love them!

cpvniii

Sep 29, 2013
At one time, in the "coastal Carolina's" area...there were 3 different groups using the 'Drifters' name. Much legal action to sort it out. Obviously they were very popular to those of us who dance the Shag to beach music "Grand Strand Style". My brother-in-law was the keyboard player for the Embers and had some interesting stories about the 3 groups.

goldeneraguy

Dec 11, 2012
I loved Clyde McPhatter's White Christmas.
Do you know who was the lead singer when they recorded Adorable in 1955 or 56 ?/

jbr7

May 19, 2020
Johnny Moore was the lead on "Adorable", released in October 1955. My favorite lead singer in the group was the late Rudy Lewis. He was great on such tunes as " Sweets for my Sweet", "Some Kind of Wonderful", and "On Broadway", among others.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I have the 3 CD Atlantic boxset and it is all eras of the drifters as well as solo hits, it a golden collection that I doubt is made anymore. Priceless along with the Coasters who had many hits written by the great Liber and Stroller.

Attachments

• Difters.jpg
    Difters.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Drifters Song List.jpg
    Drifters Song List.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing