The Eros Clone DIY Electrostatic Speaker

Jazzman53

Hi All,

The exquisitely crafted speakers shown below were built by my online collaborator, Mervyn Tims.

I have a website (Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page) dedicated to building electrostatic speakers, and I often receive requests for drawings of my (3) ESL designs. Most people take one look at my drawings and cringe at the amount work involved, and that's as far as they get. But every now and then someone surprises me and actually builds one. Such was the case with Mervyn Tims, and his beautiful new DIY speakers, which I believe are the only pair of their kind in existence.

I've only built two of my designs, so I was pleased to finally see the Eros Clone design actually built. It's called the 'Eros Clone' because it's compact transmission line woofer system was patterned on Roger Sanders' Eros speaker and it's overall design is similar except for the wire stators.

Mervyn has given me permission to post the pics below, and I'm sure you will be as impressed as I am with his craftsmanship. In the second photo, note that the cover is removed from the pocket that houses the segmentation resistor network (Mervyn's modification, and very neatly done).

Enjoy!
merv 1.jpg merv 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ack

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing