The Fremer lays an ostrich egg thread

Thread drift....

This thread hasn't been on topic since the first page ;)

This has been good thread drift, IMO, creating a much more interesting thread. Well, for me anyway. I need an occasional spar with Micro. It keeps me sharp. :)

Tim

Think of all the music you guys could have been listening in the time you've spent arguing about this...

:)

Last night I listened to a 2+ hour Dylan playlist, assembled by a friend of mine, that went from his most recent work to his debut, touching every album at least once, and many 2 or 3 times. Torture to some, I know. Absolute joy for me, particularly revisiting the very early recordings. Ths morning I put out a few fires and gave a young associate a lesson in project planning before I broke for lunch and logged on. I still have time for this discussion; I don't sleep much.

Tim

Ok, back OT. Does anyone here wonder why MF would write such an article, clearly demonstrating IMO, the ability to be discriminatory in his reviewing ability...and yet JV ( and so many others)seemingly cannot or will not write such an article. I cannot buy into the idea that JV/others have never heard a piece of gear that they didn't feel needed to be exposed( or any other descriptor that you want here)in this manner in his/their career. Or, is he/they simply either: a) less honest in his/their opinions or b) less able to hear differences and therefore by definition, less discriminatory, or c) held back by his/their employer for political or economic reasons.:confused:

Fremer actually listens to the stuff. One gets the impression that Valin is much more glib and a superior prose stylist, but could dial in the reviews with off the shelf audio-speak.

Interesting, but as long as it is a box connected to a massage chair and packaged with a pair of Stax, it will be nothing more than a tiny niche product focused on a rather small niche market (the "high-end"), most of which won't be interested either in headphones or audio processing.

I agree that the market is niche, probably uber-niche but doesn't look to me like its the 'high-end' though as no fancy caps being mentioned, nor independently regulated ultra-low noise supplies nor massively low jitter clocks, blah blah blah. For certain no matter how great the technical side (and no question that this looks great technically) without great marketing (this lacks it, big-time) the idea will bomb commercially without a doubt.

I see that over at A'gon, the thread has continued with MF posting a VERY interesting comment about his upcoming review of the D'Agostino Momentum mono amps. I agree entirely with what his says about the various comments on that thread. Should be an interesting review of the Momentum's. Wonder if he compares them to the Dart 458's or??

Ok, back OT. Does anyone here wonder why MF would write such an article, clearly demonstrating IMO, the ability to be discriminatory in his reviewing ability...and yet JV ( and so many others)seemingly cannot or will not write such an article. I cannot buy into the idea that JV/others have never heard a piece of gear that they didn't feel needed to be exposed( or any other descriptor that you want here)in this manner in his/their career. Or, is he/they simply either: a) less honest in his/their opinions or b) less able to hear differences and therefore by definition, less discriminatory, or c) held back by his/their employer for political or economic reasons.:confused:

I remember a long time ago when I reviewed the Penaudio Serenades, I mentioned that they just didn't work well with tube amplifiers. (and I had tried them with about 8 or 9 different tube amps, from a 9 watt SET to some big ARC monos - all the same, no control in the bass) When I ran into the designer at CES, I had expected him to tear me a new one and he said, "I hate tubes, and I don't care about them. I voiced the speakers on the CJ Premier 350, that's why they sounded so good with your system..."

When I was less than enthused about the smaller Continuum (the 60k model) we got our fair share of hate mail over that.

I don't know that it's so much a piece of gear "needs to be exposed"....

I reviewed another product about two years ago and it had some major functionality issues. I told the mfr about it, they got pissed at me and asked me to send it back.

I guess at the end of the day, for the handful of things that we've heard that have been fairly dreadful, I don't really want to waste a month or two of my life listening to something that sounds crappy so that I can "expose it." I don't really want to waste my readers time either. We've always been about trying to find our readers stuff to put on their short list to audition.

I see that over at A'gon, the thread has continued with MF posting a VERY interesting comment about his upcoming review of the D'Agostino Momentum mono amps. I agree entirely with what his says about the various comments on that thread. Should be an interesting review of the Momentum's. Wonder if he compares them to the Dart 458's or??
I think the "interesting" part is him saying his review was mildly negative. I thought I read folks saying it was a disaster :).

BTW, I don't think we need to wait for the Momentum review. He is going to say it is the best sound he has heard, the notes held together like long lost friends meeting each other again, and that the amp was so good that even after he powered it off, it kept on playing! :D

I think the "interesting" part is him saying his review was mildly negative. I thought I read folks saying it was a disaster :).

BTW, I don't think we need to wait for the Momentum review. He is going to say it is the best sound he has heard, the notes held together like long lost friends meeting each other again, and that the amp was so good that even after he powered it off, it kept on playing! :D

Amir, I have a suspicious feeling that you are right:D MF's review of the XLF's will be a major rave up as well, that is as long as DW will allow him to either keep the speakers on loan or to get a MAJOR accommodation price on them. I have to say,( and I have said before) these accommodation prices are just NOT a good thing,IMHO. Would MF give his MAJOR rave IF he had to pay $200K of his hard earned money for them?? Same goes for the Momentum amps.Inquiring minds want to know;)

Or it could be that he listened to the Levinson and gave his honest and informed opinion. There is no doubt in my part he will do the same with the Momentum amp. Others have a financial interest also. If I say I like the Momentum and I do, how is that wrong or a "disaster." Just because accommodation pricing is available does not mean he will avail himself of the opportunity. Would that enhance your opinion of his review?

I've got one like that. Takes time for the caps to discharge. I don't like it but I put up with it because it also cures cancer. At least that's what I recall the review said about it. It was the best amplifier in the world....until the next month's magazine issue came out. A year later it was....mid-fi junk! Still takes time to stop playing though. I'd put a bleeder resistor across the cap but then it might not be the best in the world anymore...or cure cancer.

Or it could be that he listened to the Levinson and gave his honest and informed opinion. There is no doubt in my part he will do the same with the Momentum amp. Others have a financial interest also. If I say I like the Momentum and I do, how is that wrong or a "disaster." Just because accommodation pricing is available does not mean he will avail himself of the opportunity. Would that enhance your opinion of his review?

Long on innuendo, short on any actual facts. Case dismissed counseler.

no; he will only compare it to other amps he has heard in it's price range or amps he has recently listened to which is logical for the review.

as far as predictions; i think he will prefer the Momentum to other amps in this general price range but it will not be his overall favorite. who knows what specific comments he may make about other amps.

my prediction is based on my listening to these same amps and others. it's not so hard to figure out. Michael likes amps which are very powerful but natural and balanced sounding.

as far as accomodation price should he want to buy the Momentum amps he can get that on any amp he chooses. he did buy the 458's already. but he could switch should he want to.

I thought I was defending Fremer. What facts would you like Myles?

No problem.

We can see we need to handle things bettter,
This table is, in my considered judgment, in a class by itself, and I am hoping for its use as a long-term loan for reference purposes.

~HP
Praise and reuests for long term loans should be handled separately. I dod\ realize that is a wisih and not a formal request.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu