The horrific truth of cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiohobby

Jun 19, 2012
Cables are pieces of wire which conduct electricity. It is misconception to think that some cables are 'dirty' and others are 'clean' and that they can muddy the music signals going through them. This is a bullshit!

Now show me some real evidence!

The cable industry is a ******* scam and I am fed up of it. Furthermore, audiophiles are a bunch of idiots who have far less hearing ability than they like to think, the arrogant bastards! Of course they are happy to continue spending money on high end because they have good jobs. I am totally fed up.

Cables are pieces of wire which conduct electricity. It is misconception to think that some cables are 'dirty' and others are 'clean' and that they can muddy the music signals going through them. This is a bullshit!

The cable industry is a ******* scam and I am fed up of it. Furthermore, audiophiles are a bunch of idiots who have far less hearing ability than they like to think, the arrogant bastards! Of course they are happy to continue spending money on high end because they have good jobs. I am totally fed up.

Please tell us how you really feel!

PS I've heard for myself too many times the differences between some cables, so I can't entertain the notion that they all sound alike--because I know they don't.

Please tell us how you really feel!

PS I've heard for myself too many times the differences between some cables, so I can't entertain the notion that they all sound alike--because I know they don't.

How do you know they dont? Why dont you record a cd with the differences and we will see who can really hear the difference.

Why the passion? If you thinks audiophile cables are a scam don't buy them, and if you think audiophiles are idiots avoid audiophile sites. If true, it is relatively harmless form of idiocy, and good for the economy to boot.

I personally think expensive wines are a scam, because if I drink 2 bottles of three buck chuck I am just as drunk. However, I don't go around advocating this perspective on wine connoisseurs' websites.

Banana_Ears.JPG

How do you know they dont? Why dont you record a cd with the differences and we will see who can really hear the difference.

This sounds like an issue of global importance.

Why the passion? If you thinks audiophile cables are a scam don't buy them, and if you think audiophiles are idiots avoid audiophile sites. If true, it is relatively harmless form of idiocy, and good for the economy to boot.

I personally think expensive wines are a scam, because if I drink 2 bottles of three buck chuck I am just as drunk. However, I don't go around advocating this perspective on wine connoisseurs' websites.

The reason for the passion is obviously because I feel strongly about people who knowingly mislead others just to make money. The ones that are stupid enough to fall for it are just as bad. And I lost my job so thats another reason for the anger even if unjustified.

What is your job?

If true, it is relatively harmless form of idiocy, and good for the economy to boot.

Its not good for the economy to deceive others is it?

Wine has nothing to do with it. Two wrongs dont make a right

The reason for the passion is obviously because I feel strongly about people who knowingly mislead others just to make money. The ones that are stupid enough to fall for it are just as bad. And I lost my job so thats another reason for the anger even if unjustified.

What is your job?

If the sell side of the transaction are frauds and the buy side of the transaction are stupid, why worry about it? This will not trigger another subprime (cable) crisis, so society at large is isolated from the scam.

Sorry about your job. I work in research.

Its not good for the economy to deceive others is it?

Wine has nothing to do with it. Two wrongs dont make a right

From an economic viewpoint it matters not one iota whether the cables are beneficial or not. The transactions will all show up in the GDP number.

If you can't hear differences in cable then why worry if others can?

The most likely reason someone will not hear differences is their system is of low quality and it masks the effects. If you can't hear it don't worry about it.

The biggest difference in cables is tonal IMO. There are other differences that are important but tonality is the most obvious. Find cables that match well with your gear and forget about it. They need not cost a fortune.

Why would I record a CD to see if you can hear a difference on your system? All that matters to me is what I hear in my system. Everyone should experiment for themselves and come to their own conclusion.

I don't find audiophile to be any different from any other hobby. If you have some evidence that it is please provide some evidence. You pick another hobby and I'll match to audiophiles.

To the OP:

if you can't hear the difference between zip wire and high end wires on your system, why lose so much sleep ? Buy the zip cord ! Those that do have highly resolving systems can definately hear the sound quality difference between cables and purchase them accordingly. They are not stupid as your insult suggests...rather they are smart and maximizing the sound of their system based on what they can justify to spend. Wires do matter (in a good system), so get over yourself and your desparate need to save us from the evil doer high end cable manufacturers...lol

If you can't hear differences in cable then why worry if others can?

The most likely reason someone will not hear differences is their system is of low quality and it masks the effects. If you can't hear it don't worry about it.

The biggest difference in cables is tonal IMO. There are other differences that are important but tonality is the most obvious. Find cables that match well with your gear and forget about it. They need not cost a fortune.

Why would I record a CD to see if you can hear a difference on your system? All that matters to me is what I hear in my system. Everyone should experiment for themselves and come to their own conclusion.

Yes but how do you explain this difference in tone? Can you hear a 0.5db difference in level? Its quite a small difference and generally would go unnoticed. An expensive cable does not have even 0.1db measurable difference in level. Whats the mechanism behind what you claim to hear?

The other stupidity is that all those audiophiles who spend so much on cables, dont bother to build a dedicated listening room to achieve their goal of high fidelity. Where is the logic in spending effort on things which are doubtful and ignoring the basic foundations of high fidelity reproduction?

To the OP:

if you can't hear the difference between zip wire and high end wires on your system, why lose so much sleep ? Buy the zip cord ! Those that do have highly resolving systems can definately hear the sound quality difference between cables and purchase them accordingly. They are not stupid as your insult suggests...rather they are smart and maximizing the sound of their system based on what they can justify to spend. Wires do matter (in a good system), so get over yourself and your desparate need to save us from the evil doer high end cable manufacturers...lol

This is the kind of arrogance which annoys me a lot. I'm not so much trying to save you from the evil doers, I want the audiophiles to see how right I am and how wrong they are.
Why dont you get a friend to switch over to zip cord in your system and see whether you can tell the difference every time blindfolded? Do you accept you ought to be able to do that given that you have spent thousands of dollars on it?

This is the kind of arrogance which annoys me a lot. I'm not so much trying to save you from the evil doers, I want the audiophiles to see how right I am and how wrong they are.
Why dont you get a friend to switch over to zip cord in your system and see whether you can tell the difference every time blindfolded? Do you accept you ought to be able to do that given that you have spent thousands of dollars on it?

Arrogance you say ? Ignorance is bliss, on your part. You are the one who is arrogant. Why don't you share us the details of your system so we can better understand why you can't hear a difference.

Audiohobby. First, I suggest you change your forum name from "audiohobby" to "audiocrusade". Second, for you to call others arrogant because they don't share your rather strong opinions is the ultimate irony. Third, barging in on a website trying to convince its core constituency of audiophiles with expensive cables they are all idiots is not good manners. Fourth, chill out, it is just a well ..... hobby.....

Yes but how do you explain this difference in tone? Can you hear a 0.5db difference in level? Its quite a small difference and generally would go unnoticed. An expensive cable does not have even 0.1db measurable difference in level. Whats the mechanism behind what you claim to hear?

The other stupidity is that all those audiophiles who spend so much on cables, dont bother to build a dedicated listening room to achieve their goal of high fidelity. Where is the logic in spending effort on things which are doubtful and ignoring the basic foundations of high fidelity reproduction?

It's not my job to prove it to anyone. If someone wants to pay me to research it then I'm available.;)

Yes, I agree there can be more important things to focus on than cables depending on where someone is in their journey. People can be foolish with their money. Everyone has different budgets and tastes. IMO everyone should follow their own path. There is no absolute right or wrong.

Guys, this is an old debate. We will let it go on but please tone down discussing the other person as opposed to technical topic.

OP, I am sorry about you losing your job. I hope you find a better one soon! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing