The Man In The High Castle

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Funny as we usually agree on shows, but I’m giving up on it after I finish S3. Love the alternate history angle but the sci fi leaves me cold. It has 4-5 star potential but never gets there which frustrates me.

Rufus Sewell is great in it though.

Reactions: DeadWax and BMCG

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Are you not a sci-fi fan? As a sci-fi freak, nothing was as exciting to me as the transformation of Julia in the last scene.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I had high hopes for it, but couldn't get past the 1st episode. The premise is awesome, but the execution seemed so lame ... Maybe I'll revisit ...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I had high hopes for it, but couldn't get past the 1st episode. The premise is awesome, but the execution seemed so lame ... Maybe I'll revisit ...

You cannot watch a single episode of any modern television show on a streaming service. Because the entire season is availble immediately and meant to binge watch, modern television shows evolve over time. The Man in the High Castle has a 82% Rotten Tomato critic score and a 89% Audience score. Don't take my word for it, take their word for it. It's amazing.

Reactions: Golum

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Are you not a sci-fi fan? As a sci-fi freak, nothing was as exciting to me as the transformation of Julia in the last scene.

I love fantasy, middle of the road on science fiction but certainly can enjoy it.

But this show is a B tops for me. The protagonists (Joe and Juliana) aren't good/miscast while the best two characters are a Nazi and Kempeitai respectively. Tagomi is decent as well.

The fact the show runner had to change mid-season 2 says alot. Season 3 is definitely better than the first two, but the whole Dr. Evil and his big time machine weapon displayed in season 3 put me off ;) Meanwhile, the eugenics, propaganda, and Year Zero storylines were far more interesting and scary at the same time (although i agree with the reviews that Himmler is a bit cartoonish- "purge!").

If S4 is the end, I'll probably watch but otherwise leaning towards moving on.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
A giant machine that can send armies to alternate universes but eviscerates most of the test subjects that use it.....now that's science fiction! No wonder it has a 89% audience score and a 82% Rotten Tomato critic score.

I love the show, and for once, I'm in the majority.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's really good imo. Halfway thru S3...

Reactions: jeff1225

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm going to force myself to watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes, if it doesn't start to jell will be forced to abandon.

I did the same with The Expanse, and glad it got so much better as it went along.

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm going to force myself to watch the 2nd and 3rd episodes, if it doesn't start to jell will be forced to abandon.

I did the same with The Expanse, and glad it got so much better as it went along.
The Expanse took at least 5 episodes to get me buy it was well worth the effort.

Reactions: kach22i and BMCG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing